Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Huub wetsuit
Quote | Reply
Does anyone have any insight on the Huub Archimedes 3 or Albacore wetsuits? I'm trying to decide on one of those vs the Roka Maverick Pro 2.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Huub wetsuit [Skydive80] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have used HUUB for the last 3 years (and tried most mid to high level models including the new Brownlee Agilis.
The HUUB is a great wetsuit for racing. The rear zip requires basically two people to do up at the start, but the tear away is great for T1.
The new Brownlee Agilis is amazing, 3 of us have them in my squad and we all comment on how it feels like there is nothing over your back as the wetsuit is so flexible through the back and shoulders.
I have only tried one ROKA before so can't give you anything to compare the two brands realistically.
My main feedback re HUUB would be that the higher end models are not really a day in and day out training wetsuit. The neoprene is a little delicate and gets cut easily and can tear. It is obviously fine as a racing suit and for the odd training swim but I would not count on it last a season based in the open water for training etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Huub wetsuit [Amnesia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pretty much as above.

A lot of people have them in my squad, in part due to local availability. I've used an Aegis 2 for the last 2 years and just recently bought an aegis 3 thermal.
I really don't like the zip. It seems to not really undo as intended when I want it to, but equally comes apart when you don't (just pre swim/race, not during.). I have found a technique for putting on solo, but its a faff when you forget to pre-set the zip and you are on the beach solo... So for me, I'd love a bog standard zip that lowers at the bottom, pulls up to the top and doesn't trey to be fancy.

And also agree regarding the fragility of it. I actually tend to use it pretty much for racing and a few swims before (the aegis 2), then an old zoot, now covered in glue blobs for training. Having said that, the aegis has survived 2 years and plenty of use without any signs of wear. True, I am really really careful putting it on, but lets face it then in T1 all that cotton glove stuff is out the window and it's stamp on the arm on tarmac and yank the leg, so perhaps it just 'looks' and feels really fragile. No issues with the seams either.

Finally fit. The neck is a bit low, and on me let in a little water. Or maybe I got a size too big (I've downsized on the thermal and that seems way better - LT>MT - I'm 6'3" 88kg but all legs, no spine and am biased to muscular legs as opposed to arms / body).

**Ok, final final. As with every wetsuit I remain invisible to my wife, who still takes 15 photos of other blokes coming out the water and none of me. Although having also seen all the official race photos I remain looking like a total nob so that's perhaps for the best. I am awaiting for Orca to come out with a wetsuit that doesn't have the fancy catch pads on the arms, but instead internal ribs on the abs and some form of contraption to make me have a relaxed smile on exit for the water.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had an early Archimedes and have an Albacore I swim in now. Both have been great wetsuits for me and I enjoy the breakaway zipper for racing and have had no issues with the zip including putting it on solo. I have had an Orca 3.8 and a Blueseventy Helix and I definitely prefer the Albacore to all the wetsuits I've owned.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you get someone to pull your zip up make sure they don't pull it up too hard - had my Archimedes zip come undone whilst swimming due to exactly this, my mate had the same thing happen with his. I much prefer my old Ironman Stealth and will shortly be purchasing a Blue Seventy Helix.
Quote Reply
Re: Huub wetsuit [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:
I had an early Archimedes and have an Albacore I swim in now. Both have been great wetsuits for me and I enjoy the breakaway zipper for racing and have had no issues with the zip including putting it on solo. I have had an Orca 3.8 and a Blueseventy Helix and I definitely prefer the Albacore to all the wetsuits I've owned.

With no swim background I need a suit that helps with body position. I don't think I will ever buy a high end suit for that reason. I'm far from a "natural" swimmer. Do you find the Albacore helps with position like they claim? Any feedback on how fragile it is?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Skydive80 wrote:
Shambolic wrote:

With no swim background I need a suit that helps with body position. I don't think I will ever buy a high end suit for that reason. I'm far from a "natural" swimmer. Do you find the Albacore helps with position like they claim? Any feedback on how fragile it is?

A wetsuit can go some way to helping with body position but you should ensure that your body position is a real issue.
The HUUB 3:5 range (rather than the 4:4) has extra buoyancy in the legs and is good for lifting the legs and hips up. I use both variations and you do notice the difference.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Skydive80 wrote:
Does anyone have any insight on the Huub Archimedes 3 or Albacore wetsuits? I'm trying to decide on one of those vs the Roka Maverick Pro 2.

Thanks

I have a Huub Archimedes II, 4:4. The swimming part is ok, but I have a few general issues with the suit in terms of durability, attention to detail, the neck & the zip.

1) The rubber in the stretch panels under the arm started to wear a bit too early, given that it hadn't done a lot of work.
2) I had to take the suit to a wetsuit manufacturer and pull off most of the red heat-tape 'dots' that were on the seams inside the suit - and replace them with some that the local company had. Most of them were falling off after one swim.
3) The neck is a bit low for my liking - and it's the first suit I've had that felt a bit short in the body.
4) As someone else mentioned, I am not a big fan of the zip. No real point as far as I can tell.

Apart from the above, it was actually pretty good to swim in, but it's just about done.
I think I will be going with another brand next summer.
Quote Reply