Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Are you better at biking or running? [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ironman 70.3 Calgary I biked a 2:07:49, but it's short and fast. Ran a 1:23:37. If I did the race today my bike would be about the same, probably be able to drop a min off the run. In Nice I biked a 2:46:18 and ran 1:26:04 but the wheels kinda had come off by the end of that haha.

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Are you better at biking or running? [duganator99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
as someone in the 55-60 age group i think it depends on who the comparison is with. Like many if us i held steady on the bike going from 45 to 55, but lost a lot on the run (didn't get fat, just lost any spring from my stride). Across all age groups i think i am a better cyclist as i can still ride with the decent group, but among other 55-60 competitors a much better runner as even my old-man shuffle is faster than the other old men.

in my dreams i do think .....if i have lost 3:15 mins from my 5K time in the last 30 years (or 14 mins from my 10 mile time) could i have done 40K on the bike 12-14 minutes faster when i was 25.......but i sort of know the answer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As the username implies, much much much better at riding bikes than anything else. My genetics aren't great for either, but it's a lot easier to use tree trunk legs, higher weight, high bone density, large upper body, high sweat rate, and tight hips into cycling performance rather than running. The big benefit to cycling is that you can almost always get better with more volume and structured intervals since it's just about pushing more power. On the running side, my upside is much more capped as my stride will never be springy and efficient, and I'll probably never be able to run faster than a 6 min mile for anything longer than a mile.

Interestingly, I am a lot more competitive as a trail runner than a road runner, especially on technical trails with a lot of elevation gain. My relatively higher weight and strength helps a lot with climbing up short steep hills that you get on the trails, plus I am able to absorb a lot of high impact downhill running. The technicality of the trails also limits my downside from having a less efficient stride and carrying more weight compared to the roads. I'm also really good at performing long efforts below threshold, which suits long cycling events and trail running more than anything else.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I started as a runner about 8 years ago or so. I picked up triathlon about four years ago. Since then I've become a much better cyclist. I'm always been about a 8:00-8:30/mi runner, so middle of the pack basically there. On the bike, I'm about a 20-21mph cyclist.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Having been a competitive single sport athlete at both; definitely stronger biker than runner. That being said, Garmin estimates my VO2max to be 8pts higher in cycling than running.....but my FTP running is over 20% higher (in Watts....based on my 4iii bike PM and my Stryd running PM).

I've found that the Garmin VO2max calc fails to take environmental conditions into account. Every time there is a warm day, Garmin drops my VO2max 1-2points (since it sees a higher HR for the same ave. Watts). A ride on a cool day, and it jumps back up. I have to check it the next time I'm at altitude to see if the same thing happens. My Fenix5 has both temp and alt, so you'd think they would adjust for this, but that's not my experience.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Are you better at biking or running? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've never trained seriously for both at the same time, so its hard to say. I'm so bad at swimming that I ended up not even trying a triathlon, although I'm a fan of the sport and still follow it a decade+ after I thought to get in.

My best race result was a 1:26 half and 3:04 marathon in the early spring of 2012, and I was 180cm and 88kg (about 5'11 and 195 pounds). I had also done a 15k race in 59:0x the winter prior.

On the bike, I never actually did an officially timed race. I did do a 200km brevet in 6:09, but that also included mandatory checkpoints where you have to stop and get your card signed. I did TOSRV (104 miles one way), in less than 5 hours on the way down and less than 5 hours on the way back the next day, solo. I had a 40km loop out in the country which was basically 4 right turns, and I could usually get a lap with no traffic. Never managed to break 60 minutes but had some 61 minute times. No aero equipment, just a Cervelo with Mavic Ksyrium wheels and regular drop bars.

Because of my weight, usually in the 80s kg, the bike probably is a better fit for me, although I love running trails.
Quote Reply
Re: Are you better at biking or running? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Having been a competitive single sport athlete at both; definitely stronger biker than runner. That being said, Garmin estimates my VO2max to be 8pts higher in cycling than running.....but my FTP running is over 20% higher (in Watts....based on my 4iii bike PM and my Stryd running PM).
I've found that the Garmin VO2max calc fails to take environmental conditions into account. Every time there is a warm day, Garmin drops my VO2max 1-2points (since it sees a higher HR for the same ave. Watts). A ride on a cool day, and it jumps back up. I have to check it the next time I'm at altitude to see if the same thing happens. My Fenix5 has both temp and alt, so you'd think they would adjust for this, but that's not my experience.

I've been observing the same issue wrt Vo2max and higher temperatures, however mainly on the run (with Garmin 945). Couple weeks ago during a local heat-wave, I noticed my Vo2max dropping steadily after each run (HR was obv. way higher during the runs due to heat). Think it lost 4 or 5 points on the run whereas on the bike I lost 2 points (measured with an 830). Don't think the 945 does have heat acclimatisation and just lowers Vo2max (which might also be correct, since your body will be working harder so performance is worse...)?
Currently all seems back to normal again however still with a 14point difference between bike and run Vo2max.
let's see what the labtest in 2 weeks will tell on these 2 metrics...
Quote Reply

Prev Next