Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Weight Training
Quote | Reply
I know triathlon and weight lifting doesn't always go together. Most triathletes I know do body weight or light exercises.

I am wanting to incorporate weight lifting into my tri training. Looking to get stronger, add more power in my cycling. Want my upper body to be as strong as my lower. What weight lifting plans are you doing?

I have dumbbells, squat rack, bench, barbell, plates etc.
Last edited by: Etexag: May 24, 20 12:54
Quote Reply
Re: Weight Training [Etexag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you have all that, KISS. This is what I mostly do:
Bench
5x
5x
5x
5x
5x
Squat
5x
5x
5x
5x
5x
Deadlift
5x
5x
5x
5x
5x

Also do power step-ups and some Power Cleans. But not much more than that.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Etexag wrote:
What weight lifting plans are you doing?

I have dumbbells

I like the single arm arnold press (I do 50lbs usually 4-6 reps, can go up to 75lbs for 1-2 reps but mainly stay at 50lbs - I'm 183lbs)

Also, I do bicep curl to arnold press 2x above head to slow bicep curl decline, as slow as possible at 40lbs. 2-4x each side.

That is my main workout - my shoulders are pretty solid. I also like:

- weighted dumbbell lunges

- farmer's carry with dumbbells

- 2lb-5lb shadowboxing / arm circles / sun gods

- dumbbell row (I like to do about 80-100lbs) 5-10 reps, 1-3 sets

I haven't had the way to do any of this stuff recently due to COIVID, but think these are some useful exercises if you have weights. If you have mats - I think jump rope is another helpful exercise that helps with triathlon training/conditioning.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Last edited by: plant_based: May 24, 20 16:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I follow Wendler's 531. Heavy weight, low reps, periodised progression.
Mondays are squat and overhead press days with some pullups and box jumps thrown in for good measure. Wednesdays deadlift and bench press with chinups and kettlebell swings. It takes me about 45mins to get through each workout.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I WT at home, my range of exercises is: squat with kettlebell, glutes bridge, chin ups, rows with stretch cords, flys, push ups, flys with dumb bells, triceps dips, planks, vee ups, crunches. I mix the exercises for 45 minutes workouts, a couple of times per week
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks guys
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do the major lifts like strobro outlined and add in some pull ups and core work. Keep it simple. I feel so much better when I’m able to keep a lifting regimen going alongside my SBR.
Quote Reply