Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Pulled the trigger on a new P3X....feedback please
Quote | Reply
As the title suggests I pulled the trigger on a new P3x.
Bike will be mainly stock and I will add my Assioma pedals, dash saddle and ceramic speed OPWS to the build.
Keen to hear others feedback and pics of their rides??!! Anything I should watch out for as a common issue.
I went the build versions with the higher spec DT swiss wheels as they seemed OK for racing. Keen to hear back people are training on, what tyre widths and pressures they are also running.
Did anyone change the rear bottle set up from 1-2? We have some 80k training routes around here with minimal access to water etc and bloody hot!
Cheers all.
Quote Reply
Re: Pulled the trigger on a new P3X....feedback please [Amnesia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would think that you would want to use Continental GP5000 tires in the 25mm width.

Pressure would depend on your weight.
Quote Reply
Re: Pulled the trigger on a new P3X....feedback please [Amnesia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a P5x, but its basically the same thing. Check out Yann's custom bladder modification to get the Shiv bladder in the bike (in exchange for toptube box). You can also fit a BTA bottle and a downtube bottle and rear bottle, so I mean I think you should be fine for hydration. You could also stick 2 on the rear but I feel like its overkill.

With the little plastic box by the BB you can basically fit a sandwich in there. I will take mine off for racing, but you 80km should be cake with this thing. I honestly think I could nail over 140km without a need to stop at all and a single setup on the back.
Quote Reply
Re: Pulled the trigger on a new P3X....feedback please [Aid.dre.an] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Aid.dre.an wrote:
I have a P5x, but its basically the same thing. Check out Yann's custom bladder modification to get the Shiv bladder in the bike (in exchange for toptube box). You can also fit a BTA bottle and a downtube bottle and rear bottle, so I mean I think you should be fine for hydration. You could also stick 2 on the rear but I feel like its overkill.

With the little plastic box by the BB you can basically fit a sandwich in there. I will take mine off for racing, but you 80km should be cake with this thing. I honestly think I could nail over 140km without a need to stop at all and a single setup on the back.

Thanks for that. Sounds great! Do you have a link for the custom bladder mod? I vaguely recall seeing it somewhere but not sure.
What wheels are you using on the P5X?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Heres the page, Yann comes on here every so often and posts stuff and this mod fits the frame perfectly.

https://custombikexcessories.com/...fuelselage-bento-box

What size P3x do you have? I believe anything med+ will fit the large shiv bladder. It fits 650ml and since I do race hydration only it works perfect for me. I have to cut the extensions etc. and might play around with the setup a bit more but this is what it looks like

https://imgur.com/a/eHSggos

I run Enve 5.8s, the bike came stock with those and i have yet to ride them outside, but I came from a Speed Concept with SES 8.9 and the winds here are very strong here so the 5 in the front is very welcomed. It's stuck on the trainer for now but I assume this thing is going to be a rocket. The bike is already way more comfortable than the SC and the wheels should only help with the crosswind handling. If I was looking at wheels now I am not sure what I would choose, for the price I paid it was a no brainier to stick with stock (and the options were 7.8 or 5.8, I chose the 5.8). If I did not own these maybe I would look at HED or ENVE? TBH I would likely go with the front ENVE 5 like I have now for handling and get a rear disc to just maximize speed. I am of the opinion that for rear discs it don't matter as much for the particular brand you go for, as leading edge is blocked by the frame and rider. I might eventually go for an ENVE disc disc to be matchy matchy, but TBH I also might get a rear disc cover as money might be a bit tighter going forward. Whatever you choose though, I think you will love the bike. Too bad theres no races to really test this beauty on :/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2018 P5X, XL. HED Jet 9 in the front, disc wheel in the rear. There was a particular tire HED recommended at the time so I went with that. Powertap P2 pedals.

I needed to loc-tite the bolt threads for the storage area behind the downtube; it was prone to rattling loose. Apart from that, no issues.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's mine. Big fan of the bike, gets up to speed real easily and though it is not light, it climbs surprisingly well. You'll be real happy with it. Congrats

-------------------------------------------------------------
Tough Times Don't Last, Tough People Do.
Quote Reply
Re: Pulled the trigger on a new P3X....feedback please [TriSpencer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the feedback so far thanks everyone.
At this stage going to run the DT Swiss 62/48 wheels that come stock as my main race wheel I think. Am not sure if I want this rig to live on my indoor trainer. Looking at maybe some Fulcrum 4's for training wheels.
Would be super keen on some other race wheels further down the track but not sure I can justify another $3K just yet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Personally I don't understand why you would bother doing "training wheels" with disc brakes. For rim, yeah sure get some alu hoops to save the carbon track, plus braking on carbon just sucks. It works, but you got a disc brake bike. Train on what you race.

Thats my logic for going for a super bike. Save the money on the training wheels and get a disc disc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am undecided between a P3X and a PX frameset to build up myself - how easy is it take the front end of the P3X apart for travel? The foldable bars sound awesome.
Quote Reply
Re: Pulled the trigger on a new P3X....feedback please [Aid.dre.an] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Aid.dre.an wrote:
Personally I don't understand why you would bother doing "training wheels" with disc brakes. For rim, yeah sure get some alu hoops to save the carbon track, plus braking on carbon just sucks. It works, but you got a disc brake bike. Train on what you race.

Thats my logic for going for a super bike. Save the money on the training wheels and get a disc disc.

I had not really thought of that to be honest. It does make sense.
I am so used to only pulling out my zipp 808's and disc wheel on race day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Amnesia wrote:
I had not really thought of that to be honest. It does make sense.
I am so used to only pulling out my zipp 808's and disc wheel on race day.

If you have the money and want peace of mind, just get something like ENVE's with the lifetime warranty and just ride them all the time. If they blow up for whatever reason ENVE has a lifetime warranty now and theres no rim track to wear so "wear and tear" is non-existent. I don't even really know how your wheels will blow up now anyways and if they do I think you will have much more important things to worry about. IMO the extra coin for peace of mind and one of the fastest tested wheels are enough for me, but again my bike came with em anyways. If you want a race only thing you can pony up for a cheaper/used disc disc as a race only wheel, or just blow your brains out and go full brand whore SES disc disc or likely the best disc disc right now with a Roval 321. Or be patient and go used, as long as the rim is in good shape I think theres less risk getting used disc brake wheels. Only problem nowadays is finding a pair, but there might be some covid sales happening around now too
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a PX, absolutely love it and just sold my P5 disc in favor of the PX. I train on Enve 7.8's and race on Zipp 808 NSW/Super 9 disc. Enve 7.8's are probably overkill for me for training, I kind of wish I had the 5.6's instead but at least I have the option to race on the 7.8's if needed (extra hilly, windy, etc). I also train with 28mm tires and have them set up tubeless so the ride quality is amazing.
Quote Reply
Re: Pulled the trigger on a new P3X....feedback please [sorelegs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sorelegs wrote:
I have a PX, absolutely love it and just sold my P5 disc in favor of the PX. I train on Enve 7.8's and race on Zipp 808 NSW/Super 9 disc. Enve 7.8's are probably overkill for me for training, I kind of wish I had the 5.6's instead but at least I have the option to race on the 7.8's if needed (extra hilly, windy, etc). I also train with 28mm tires and have them set up tubeless so the ride quality is amazing.

Thanks for that. Most of where I ride is relatively flat so I am not too concerned with weight, but the wind can definitely get up there!
I think I will stick to the DT Swiss 62/48 stock wheels for the meantime and see what the budget can stretch to for super race wheels can summer time. I think the gains are probably marginal for me at the moment so money might be better spent elsewhere!
Quote Reply