Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Dimond bento box
Quote | Reply
Bought a used Dimond Brilliant. What is everyone using for a bento box. Had a Torhans Bento X laying around. Doesn't fit, the bottom of the bento is a hard flat plastic. The top of the beam where the bento attaches is more rounded so when the Bento X is installed, it wiggles side to side.
Quote Reply
Re: Dimond bento box [mattr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been looking at this myself. I used to run a Darkspeedworks Speedpack but just installed a BentoX. I havent used it yet but liking the overall fit better. pictures below. Ignore loose Di2 wires/junction usually that lives in the beam.

2024: IM Hamburg
Last edited by: xcrogers: May 21, 20 12:10
Quote Reply
Re: Dimond bento box [xcrogers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't see any pictures? When I mounted my Bento X, it would rock from side to side since it didn't sit flat because the top tube is curved.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
weird. i'll pm you the pictures. I only needed to drill one hole in the bentox with the shift I made (will make sense once you see the pictures).

edit... or not. I guess you cant PM pictures. try this:

https://imgur.com/aIg6FT3

Last edited by: xcrogers: May 21, 20 12:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mattr wrote:
Bought a used Dimond Brilliant. What is everyone using for a bento box. Had a Torhans Bento X laying around. Doesn't fit, the bottom of the bento is a hard flat plastic. The top of the beam where the bento attaches is more rounded so when the Bento X is installed, it wiggles side to side.

I use a Torhans bento. It's not on the bike right now and I couldn't find it laying around, so not sure which model. It's pretty small. I don't recall ever having trouble with it.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I see them now, thanks. I'll try mounting it like that and see if it sits on better. What did you use to fill the gap between the beam and the stem, under the bento.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Its a self designed/3d printed filler peice. it allows me to store the junction box and in the beam to clean up my front end as well as the custom designed bladder I've fit inside the beam.

https://imgur.com/GOY0pK6

Last edited by: xcrogers: May 21, 20 13:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very nice. I think that gap looks better filled in with something.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any chance you could provide some more details on the integrated hydration? What reservoir are you using? I am trying to see how you fit it in the beam. I have a marquise with the lunch box so don’t think I’d be able to do that.
Quote Reply
Re: Dimond bento box [forshy0516] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got the idea from an article on SG's Dimond on slowtwitch a while back (link here), I beleive he was using a standard platypus bladder. It requires modification of the bike which I checked with Dimond in terms of parameters but is unsanctioned.

I've found a bespoke plastics/design company and having them create a bladder for the shape of the Dimond to maximize volume and then using quick clip medical connectors for ease of installation, use and cleaning. Essentially I can install the bladder empty, drop the bike off at transition and then show up on race day, empty a couple of refillable containers into the bladder (I'm working towards about 2 liters).

I usually start the bike with two bottles (one BTA, the other behind the seat) at regular mix, and the bladder mixed at a higher concetration. Once I've worked through the regular bottles early I just take on course water and will mix/switch sips of water and the concetrated solution. Means way less aid stations on the bike and I'm only worried about grabbing water which is usually easier to do (more oppurtunities at each station and generally on course). Still in refinement but worked well for Roth and Kona.

Once i've refined the whole system I think I'll do a blog post about it and be sure to put up a link here. Happy to answer any other questions.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tried my Bento X in the forward position last night. Still doesn't sit right. Looks like the tail end (side facing the rider) is too flat and doesn't allow the sides to rest on the top tube. May have to look into the Dark Speed Works. Also have an email into Dimond if they have one they can recommend.

If you put the bladder in the beam, where do you mount your Di2 battery?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Di2 battery was always in the beam/seat. I just added some 4 way junction boxes in the aero extensions which reduces the number of wires from the stem back and then took the two wires (front/rear derailleur) back with the control junction box in the beam as well. Allows my non-integrated stem and aerobar to be pretty darn clean.

Means I dont have access to it during the race or a ride (so I'd be fucked there) but I try and do everything I can to avoid those situations by keeping everything up to date, pre-race checks and charging, etc etc. and so far so good.

As for the bento, I had to drill one access hole see images below, but it sits well well on the beam and is snug (no rolling or moving across the beam).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm going to add the screw hole and try the Bento X again. My top tube rivnuts are loose so just re-epoxied them last night. Hopefully that will tighten it up a bit.

Why do you like the Bento X over the Dark Speed Works. Always found the sides on the Bento X were inflexible and hard to get my fingers inside to grab a gel. I could do it but wish it was a bit more flexible. At least from the pictures online, the DSW looks to be made of fabric. Thought it might have a bit more give when I jammed my fingers in it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also had to re epoxy the bolts on the top, once I did everything worked better.

That is true, the darkspeedworks bag is much more forgiving in terms of shoving stuff in there (or getting it out). Frankly I wanted to try the BentoX for looks. Generaly my 'solid' fueld is very limited to a bulk/refillable gel (less mess, less trash, etc etc) and/or honey stinger waffers folded up.

I havent tried the BentoX out in training/racing so when I do I might find the stiff sides just make it all a pain in the ass and I go back to the other. Basically i've found myself with some free time recently so figured why not at least try it out, get it fit up and see what works.

Doing the same with a modified elite crono bottle on my downtube as a flat/tube storage pack. Gotta keep the mind active

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
xcrogers wrote:
I got the idea from an article on SG's Dimond on slowtwitch a while back (link here), I beleive he was using a standard platypus bladder. It requires modification of the bike which I checked with Dimond in terms of parameters but is unsanctioned.

I've found a bespoke plastics/design company and having them create a bladder for the shape of the Dimond to maximize volume and then using quick clip medical connectors for ease of installation, use and cleaning. Essentially I can install the bladder empty, drop the bike off at transition and then show up on race day, empty a couple of refillable containers into the bladder (I'm working towards about 2 liters).

I usually start the bike with two bottles (one BTA, the other behind the seat) at regular mix, and the bladder mixed at a higher concetration. Once I've worked through the regular bottles early I just take on course water and will mix/switch sips of water and the concetrated solution. Means way less aid stations on the bike and I'm only worried about grabbing water which is usually easier to do (more oppurtunities at each station and generally on course). Still in refinement but worked well for Roth and Kona.

Once i've refined the whole system I think I'll do a blog post about it and be sure to put up a link here. Happy to answer any other questions.

Very nicely done! I always wondered if it were possible to create a custom shape bladder. I am curious to read the details! Your bike looks very cool!
Sam
Quote Reply