Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Canyon Owners question
Quote | Reply
How easy is to a. Assemble the bike, and b. Get service at LBS when needed. I’m looking to upgrade my old P2 and while I want to stay with Cervelo it looks like I can get good value for my money on a speedmax (better wheels for example) but I also want to make sure that is normal to service the bike and such.
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Owners question [rodchaves31] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bought a Speedmax about a year and a half ago and couldn't be happier. For the most part the bike was ready to go out of the box, I just had to mount the bars and saddle which was a fairly simple task. Nothing terribly complicated about that. This was my first tri bike so I took longer than normal to assemble and work to dial things in, but if I was to do it again it would be a snap.

I have only had my LBS work on the bike once and they were easy to work with. I know that they would have preferred to sell me the bike as well, they are great to work with and had no issues with doing any work on the Canyon. I did ask them about that before I brought it in and they didn't seem at all annoyed. I have bought multiple bikes from them in the past so they have already made money from me but I really don't think that would even matter in this case.

I would not hesitate at all to buy another Canyon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You could service the bike yourself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve purchased two Canyons. Affix bars, install seat post, put on wheels, adjust brakes a little. Done. From unboxing to rideable in less than 30 minutes.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rodchaves31 wrote:
How easy is to a. Assemble the bike, and b. Get service at LBS when needed. I’m looking to upgrade my old P2 and while I want to stay with Cervelo it looks like I can get good value for my money on a speedmax (better wheels for example) but I also want to make sure that is normal to service the bike and such.
I have 3 canyons - Aeroad, Speedmax, Exceed. Assembly is easy, just follow the instructions. Never taken any to a bike shop because I do all wrenching myself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Assembly is really easy even for the mechanically less inclined. If you can change a tire and adjust your saddle height you will be able to put this together. It comes with the few necessary tools and includes a torque wrench.

LBS vary of course. I had no issues and bring my Aeroad there for regular tune-ups. No issue. Is every LBS like that? Maybe not. Then switch to another LBS.

One word of caution: On my Canyon with rim brakes the brake shoes were installed the wrong way (open end pointing forward, with the wheel rotation). Asking for disaster. Just a thing to double check. Otherwise no issue. Love the bike at the price.
Last edited by: BrickMick: May 20, 20 21:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not a concern at all for most people.
Assembling my Ultimate was as straightforward and no more time consuming, than it would have been to drive to the LBS to collect a bike had I bought it there.
It's a while ago, but as far as I can remember, all you need to do is:
Unwrap packaging (10mins?)
Put the handlebars on the stem (5mins?)
Fit the seatpost (3mins?)
Fit the pedals (4mins?)
Fit and inflate the wheels (5mins?)
Stand back and admire my new bike (10mins???)

Compare position to my existing bike, and tweak saddle position and stem spacers to suit.

Give everything a once over and then ride.

So I think half an hour is enough to have it assembled if you're in a hurry and I'd check it over and tweak the position myself regardless of it coming from Canyon or the LBS.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I own a Speedmax CF SLX and was very happy with the bike itself. Assembly out of the box is very easy (as stated before by others, put the seat post in, install the aero extensions, put the wheels and pedals on...done).

Also took it to various LBS, some gave me a disapproving look but all of them worked on it in the end.

One fair warning though (although that’s probably true for most direct-to-consumer brands and probably depends on where you live): in case of a serious repair that you would like to have done by Canyon themselves (my frame got damaged during transport to a race) and send it to them it is painstakingly slow - and I mean reaaaaalllly slow (sending it in, getting a quote, getting it repaired/exchange the frame, getting it sent back, getting the correct bill for the invoice) took well over half a year...and I live in a country next to Germany so it’s not that far away to their HQ.

I bought a new TT bike in the meantime, I learned my lesson.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Concur with all that has been said. Super easy to assemble. My LBS and I have a great relationship and my mechanic doesn't care that I didn't buy the buy from them. I spend money on parts, accessories, labor, etc, and they work on both my Canyons and my families bikes (road and mountain). In fact, they love when I bring the Canyon by because its rare for them to get such a bike (Speedmax CF SLX). FYI.....I wouldn't do business with a shop that was pissy about me buying a bike from Canyon over a bike they could sell me.

Cheers, Ray
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Assembly out of the box was simple, pay attention to the stem faceplate bolt tightening pattern as some stems are not the traditional "X" pattern.

I have not had great luck with my speedmax and LBS - One LBS literally responded to an email with a screenshot of the Canyon business model to tell me they won't serve Canyon.

I have just been servicing it myself. In the case of the Speedmax CF, its very easy to work on and Canyon was pretty straight forward to work with on warranty and replacement parts.
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Owners question [BevK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What was your warranty issue?

Which replacement parts did you need?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
a) Easy. b) Easy (though I've only had to bring it in once, when I first got it, for minor rear shifting adjustment)

If LBS gives you a hard time, find a mobile bike service. I know our local Velofix will happily service anything.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
that was my biggest concern buying a Canyon Grail. When i got it took about 2hrs to get everything just right and I am a terrible mechanic. It was easy and not stressful. I love my bike and have had no problems!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BevK wrote:
........ - One LBS literally responded to an email with a screenshot of the Canyon business model to tell me they won't serve Canyon.

What a crappy LBS. I guess they don't like making money from potential assembly, labor costs and in-store purchases. Besides, most shops don't carry ANY bikes for customers anyway so they are no different than Canyon since you have to order and wait for your bike to come in to that LBS only for them to make a few hundred bucks off the bike as the middleman.

Cheers, Ray
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BevK wrote:
I have not had great luck with my speedmax and LBS - One LBS literally responded to an email with a screenshot of the Canyon business model to tell me they won't serve Canyon.

I've seen shops like this. They won't touch anything unless it's from their shop or another LBS. The world will end if you bring in parts you bought online and ask them install.

Then again, I see other shops that are happy to service Canyon (or other online bikes), especially if you buy tubes, nutrition, cleats, etc. from them. It's better to have a good long-term relationship with a customer. You might might end up buying a bike from them in the future or have you recommend the shop to your friends.

I have a Canyon, but still steer many people to the local shops I like. If they like the Canyon, I give them the ins-and-outs of going that route vs buying one at a local shop.

"Most of my heroes don't appear on no stamps"
Blog = http://extrememomentum.com|Photos = http://wheelgoodphotos.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not to beat a dead horse here, but my own experience has also been great with Canyon. Two bikes (Speedmax and Aeroad) and both working pretty flawlessly. I had VeloFix assemble both times, which I'd highly recommend if it is available in your area. The advantage here, aside from having pros assemble your bikes, is that they take delivery so you don't need to worry about being home when the bike is delivered or having it left on your doorstep (if this is a concern for you, it was for me). You effectively get hand delivered a new, assembled bike this way.

I've had several LBSs work on the bikes with no issues, and have also used VeloFix frequently.

Will likely buy more Canyon in the future.

-------
Anders
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any LBS that refuses servicing of a direct to consumer bike brand can get bent.

A local LBS told me they make way more money in services than the thin margins on new bikes, so they'll even work on your kids BMX if they have the time and knowledge.
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon Owners question [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had my basebar replaced under warranty in Spring 2018 (...no coincidence that I mentioned the stem faceplate pattern).

Not warranty related, but I also recently broke a rear deraileur hanger and had a replacement in 4 days.
Quote Reply