Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Disc Wheel Bikes are people riding a single wheelset? [Once-a-miler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Once-a-miler wrote:
I ride the enve 7.8 on my tri bike all the time. I purchased a disc but honestly, it was one more thing to travel with so I sold it and still roll with just the 7.8a on my tri and 5.6 on my roadie

What would be faster the Enve 7.8's or the HED 60 and HED disc combo? The Enve's are lighter.
Quote Reply
Re: Disc Wheel Bikes are people riding a single wheelset? [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:
grumpier.mike wrote:
mwanner13 wrote:
grumpier.mike wrote:
I run Jet 6s on the road bike and Jet 5s are on the TT bike for training (they were 399$ when Performance went belly up). A Jet 9/disc for racing the TT bike.

With the Ardennes rim, the Jets are basically bomb proof wheels so the only difference in the wheel sets is the tire setup. Conti 5000 TLs for the wheels I ride all the time (6s and 5s) and Corsa Speeds on the 9/disc. The 5000s last forever, rarely flat and they are great for most racing situations. The Corsas are fast in a straight line, but pretty useless in any other application.

Funny how race wheels and training wheels are now determined by tire choice more that anything.

Since I haven't finalized my build I'm still considering going 60mm front and upgrading to the disc rear, rather than a 90mm rear. It would become a set of race wheels. They would be ridden here and there, but I doubt I would run the disc much unless I went segment hunting.

I'd probably run the 30mm stocks most of the time. That's shallower than I'd like, but it's okay.

The disc would allow me to max out race performance. I just can't see myself ripping around with a 90mm rear on the regular. Maybe I'm wrong and I'd love it. The issue there too is using the race wheels in training to the extent there is no speed increase or advantage racing.

Ideally I'd run a 40/60 training and a 60/disc racing. I just don't have the budget for all those wheels.

90mm rear or Disc rear? I'm thinking the disc will run me about $400 to $500 more.

Definitely disc. No point in owning a “race only” wheel if it isn’t the fastest combo you can come up with. The only time I would consider compromising would be the choice between the 60 and 90 on the front. There isn’t that much difference between the, but on a really windy day the 90 could be almost too much.

This post is helpful in choosing the disc over the 90mm rear. Since, I'm not looking to Kona qualify the banned disc issue shouldn't come into play. I've heard RD's banning them due to conditions, but I've not heard of this at any IM 70.3 event. I can't see that being a factor.

Jet 6 + disc looks a great option then something shallower for everyday, hills
Quote Reply
Re: Disc Wheel Bikes are people riding a single wheelset? [cowboy7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Enve 65 and Enve Disc are 0.271 lbs lighter than the HED 60 and HED Disc. They are also more aero, but the cost difference is huge. The 65's have to be bought as a set. The price plus a rear disc is $4,300. The HED front 60mm and rear disc can be purchased for $1,899. You're getting a rear 65mm wheel with the Enve set, but overall the HED set is an excellent value.

The only comparison I'm not sure of is the Enve 7.8 versus the HED Jet 6 plus Disc. I'm not sure which wheelset is going to be faster. I'm guessing the HED 60mm and rear disc.
Quote Reply

Prev Next