Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cervelo P2C slipping seat clamp
Quote | Reply
I searched the forum and possibly I'm not very good at that.

My Cervelo P2C seat clamp is slipping. The seat will tilt while riding. I tried to search the 'net for an solution, but didn't really find anything.

I can buy a new seat clamp, but I think the problem is the hole in the post and maybe not my clamp.

Anyone else have this problem or has anyone else found a solution to this?

Thanks

Not a coach. Not a FOP Tri/swimmer/biker/runner. Barely a MOP AGer.
But I'm learning and making progress.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P2C slipping seat clamp [LEBoyd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mine is a P3C.

Carbon paste certainly helps but when I bought my frame the seat post was out of tolerance. The width across the hole that the seat clamp mounts through was too narrow, such that the clamp bolts would always bottom out before enough torque was gained. I got a new post under warranty. Killed a clamp in the process.

Blinding bikes though, apart from the clamp design which is total shit.

Cheers, Rich.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P2C slipping seat clamp [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the input. So you think if the paste doesn't work (haven't tried it yet) I'll need to get a new post? I'm pretty sure my 10 yo bike is not under warranty any more :)

I also thought about putting a little rubber (like left over latex tube) around the metal insert of the clamp to see if that would create enough friction/binding to keep the seat from tilting. Bad idea?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LEBoyd wrote:
Thanks for the input. So you think if the paste doesn't work (haven't tried it yet) I'll need to get a new post? I'm pretty sure my 10 yo bike is not under warranty any more :)

I also thought about putting a little rubber (like left over latex tube) around the metal insert of the clamp to see if that would create enough friction/binding to keep the seat from tilting. Bad idea?

Hey Mate, I had the same issue, I ordered a new seat clamp and it solved it, the little sort of slits in the clamping system flatten over time. The new one did up super nicely. I had to get the part from Singapore to Aus, but it solved my issue.

This is a link to the shop I used, the guy was good he even emailed me to confirm I had the right model before shipping.

https://www.bikesnbites.com/...c-and-2014-s2-s3-s5/
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P2C slipping seat clamp [Gilliga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks.

I have ordered the clamp and hopefully that will solve the problem.

Appreciate the help guys.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I see you've ordered a replacement already but wanted to throw this out just in case.

I have a 10 year old P3C which I am pretty sure uses the same clamp. I initially had an issue with the seat sliding and figured out the two bolts were just slightly two long. They would bottom out in the holes before enough tension could be applied.

I used the smallest washers I had in the too bin to install between the bolt and clamp and haven't had an issue since. The washers are about 1/32", that's all it took. Those washers have now been in place for 9 years or so.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't have anything to contribute here technicalwise, but just wanted to give a shoutout to another fellow Cervelo P2C rider!

My 2008 P2c still looks good enough that I still hear comments of 'wow check out that bike!" from the bystanders at most triathlons I go to. Love it.

I have no plans to buy a newer bike as of now. I can readily afford a superbike, and at M40-45, I'm definitely at the age and income bracket that most folks who can afford to, go in big on their lifelong major hobby, but I enjoy my P2c so much that I have no upgraditis (as of now!)
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P2C slipping seat clamp [Dufflite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. My seat is not sliding, it's tilting. So, my issue may not be the same as yours was.

Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P2C slipping seat clamp [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in the M60-65 and because of the virus I haven't even been able to do a tri yet. But, I'm looking forward to and training for Augusta. Hopefully, it won't be cancelled.

I also could spend more on a bike, but I have no idea if I'll do two, or three, or four, or well... you know.

Anyway, I bought my P2C for $750 :) And so far, I like it a lot. But I do need to get the seat tilting problem fixed.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LEBoyd wrote:
I searched the forum and possibly I'm not very good at that.

My Cervelo P2C seat clamp is slipping. The seat will tilt while riding. I tried to search the 'net for an solution, but didn't really find anything.

I can buy a new seat clamp, but I think the problem is the hole in the post and maybe not my clamp.

Anyone else have this problem or has anyone else found a solution to this?

Thanks
I had the same problem, it would drive me nuts. Somehow it got worse after a few years. Took it too the bike shop, they grinded the surface of the clamp a bit (the area the bolts go through) to make the clamp a bit smaller. No problem ever since!
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P2C slipping seat clamp [Benv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's an interesting solution. From what it "feels" like to me, the clamp is too small, not too big. In other words, the teeth of the clamp aren't grabbing the post well enough. Grinding it down seem counter-intuitive. But being new, I have limited knowledge and experience to correctly judge.

I suppose when the new piece comes in, I'll see what happens. If it doesn't work, I'll take the old and the new clamps to the bike shop and see what they can do.

Thanks

Quote Reply