Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How dry is your dry lube ?
Quote | Reply
I've just put a new chain onto the road bike, and started to use Squirt lube.

I degreased the chain before use (KMC chain) using a jar of white spirit to drop it in and shake / etc for a few hours. Then rinsed with water, and repeated.

To finish cleaning I used some bike disc cleaner (as it evaporates well).
The chain certainly felt dry and clean, zero residue on a cloth etc When pulled through, and felt perfectly dry to hand. (Left several hours to dry too).

I used disc cleaner as it's hard to get IPA at the moment in the UK (As it's all diverted to hand sanitiser production, or the cost is piss-takingly high).

2 coats of Squirt. Let dry between. Then left over night before riding.

Felt dry to touch before riding.

After 5-10 miles in the dry, if I run the chain between my fingers I get some tacky black stuff on them.
(Wipes off fingers easily enough and chain is nowhere near as cacked up or nasty as if I'd used wet oil lube).

What are other folks experience ? Is it supposed to be perfectly dry once in use ? Or is what I see usual ?
Did I not get the degreaser out of the chain rollers/ pins fully ?

Or is this 'normal' ?

(BTW I've not moved to 'full hot waxing' yet as I'm wary about corrosion as it rains often in the UK !!)
Quote Reply
Re: How dry is your dry lube ? [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got gunk with Squirt as well.

Wax for me. Seems to work fine in the wet, but I'm not in the rain much. Probably good to rewax after a wet ride. Once you are set up it's easy to do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BobAjobb wrote:
I've just put a new chain onto the road bike, and started to use Squirt lube.

I degreased the chain before use (KMC chain) using a jar of white spirit to drop it in and shake / etc for a few hours. Then rinsed with water, and repeated.

To finish cleaning I used some bike disc cleaner (as it evaporates well).
The chain certainly felt dry and clean, zero residue on a cloth etc When pulled through, and felt perfectly dry to hand. (Left several hours to dry too).

I used disc cleaner as it's hard to get IPA at the moment in the UK (As it's all diverted to hand sanitiser production, or the cost is piss-takingly high).

2 coats of Squirt. Let dry between. Then left over night before riding.

Felt dry to touch before riding.

After 5-10 miles in the dry, if I run the chain between my fingers I get some tacky black stuff on them.
(Wipes off fingers easily enough and chain is nowhere near as cacked up or nasty as if I'd used wet oil lube).

What are other folks experience ? Is it supposed to be perfectly dry once in use ? Or is what I see usual ?
Did I not get the degreaser out of the chain rollers/ pins fully ?

Or is this 'normal' ?

(BTW I've not moved to 'full hot waxing' yet as I'm wary about corrosion as it rains often in the UK !!)

when I used Squirt (I still have a bottle around here somewhere) it never ran as clean as wax.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah I get the Squirt gunk too. A couple thoughts:

I don't think the gunk slows you down, its just messy.

I stopped Squirting and moved to Rock n Roll, it seems the best balance of mess, PITA, and friction.

Acetone works well in the absence of alcohol.

I've ridden waxed chains in rainy races and gotten some corrosion, but it doesn't seem to slow anything down and comes off easily. YMMV.
Quote Reply
Re: How dry is your dry lube ? [Karl.n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks folks.
I'm using it on the road bike for training rides (Not TT... yet... as that's sat on the turbo, with no sign of real racing for some time) so efficiency is a lower priority for me right now. But I may change my tune when races are back.

I decided to try it to see if it's cleaner and less mess for the road bike. It is defo less mess than a wet lube, just not fully 'clean' - so your experience is a good 'sanity check' for me. Worth a go for a £10 bottle.

I may well still go down the hot was route - I could just alternate 2 chains and swap out immediately afterwards if it gets wet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I reckon that's the way to go - have a pair of training chains, and if it's getting rained on, quicklink off, chuck it in the pot overnight (slow cooker on low), put the spare chain on, then repeat next time it rains.
Quote Reply