Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

I Went "Full Send" on Gravel: Everything is so Mundane Now, Where do I Go From Here?
Quote | Reply
So I finally took my "gravel bike" to the local loop. Quotes because it's really just a relaxed geometry 1x, but I didn't know what I didn't know so here I am. 33mm tires, 41psi rear 38psi front, latex tubes. A little loose in hard road cornering but pretty much perfect for the application. The local loop used to be a "great" fire road situation with light gravel but recently they "ruined" it by dumping fresh cut coarse gravel by the dump truck load. The last time I was there, which was *running*, I thought to myself how much the new gravel sucked. I was wrong.

• First lap, picking my way around individual rocks in the smooth line, riding on frozen garden hoses on the downhills.

• Second lap, ignoring the individual rocks and just trying to follow the smooth line, normal descents.

• Third lap, ignoring the smooth line, just riding, having fun.

• Fourth lap, FULL SEND. All out on the downhills, ignoring the smooth line, the rocks, and even the road. Riding *over* the terrain like on a snowboard over fresh powder. I am riding over the roads, not on them... irrelevant. Rocks or groups of rocks or bumps or soft spots or whatever are irrelevant at this speed and perspective.

I've had the feeling before... hucking a real ramp on a snowboard, running with the bulls, sprinting with buses in downtown Seoul traffic, moving into the supertuck down the Whiteface Mountain road descent, a well executed Cat 3 attack or pack sprint, sitting down at a 5-10 table with the right bank roll, etc. The perfect combination of risk and skill, if you do it wrong you get hurt but if you do it right it's easy.

You know the old expression... hours of boredom interspersed with moments of panic. That gravel experience is making easy long runs and rides boring in comparison.

E

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: I Went "Full Send" on Gravel: Everything is so Mundane Now, Where do I Go From Here? [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have to be in the mood for “full send”.

On the days I go for it - it is glorious

On other days - I cannot figure out what was going through my head when I went “full send”

I think what that means is you cannot do a half measure. You have to commit.

Where you go from here? I say that depends on if / when you have a scare or second guess yourself. Whatever it is, I hope you keep the rubber side down!
Quote Reply
Re: I Went "Full Send" on Gravel: Everything is so Mundane Now, Where do I Go From Here? [SBRinSD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRinSD wrote:
Whatever it is, I hope you keep the rubber side down!

yeah, it occured to me briefly that I was underdressed for whatever was about to happen...

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: I Went "Full Send" on Gravel: Everything is so Mundane Now, Where do I Go From Here? [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
S 33mm tires, 41psi rear 38psi front, latex tubes.

Oof...running tubes at pressures that low is a pretty big risk. The 90's called....
Quote Reply
Re: I Went "Full Send" on Gravel: Everything is so Mundane Now, Where do I Go From Here? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
ericMPro wrote:
S 33mm tires, 41psi rear 38psi front, latex tubes.

Oof...running tubes at pressures that low is a pretty big risk. The 90's called....

I don't know... big chunky sharp newly cut gravel. Felt very comfy. The only time it felt soft was when I railed a turn on the roads.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
35-45 psi for a 33mm tire is about average. If you are a bigger rider closer to 45 is probably safer. I weigh around two bills and usually go 40ish in my 35-38mm tires and 45ish on my 32mm and around 50psi on my 28mm and 85psi on my 25mm tires. The 25s are not used on gravel rides.
Quote Reply
Re: I Went "Full Send" on Gravel: Everything is so Mundane Now, Where do I Go From Here? [G-man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
G-man wrote:
35-45 psi for a 33mm tire is about average. If you are a bigger rider closer to 45 is probably safer. I weigh around two bills and usually go 40ish in my 35-38mm tires and 45ish on my 32mm and around 50psi on my 28mm and 85psi on my 25mm tires. The 25s are not used on gravel rides.

Oh yeah, I’m 100% confident that I’m on the right tires and tubes and PSI

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Mr. Eric, what tires were you rocking on this trek? I always seek info on what tires others are liking on. Thanks G
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not running tubeless off road...how very "old school".

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This sounds awesome! I tested out a gravel bike back in December (and it sounds like I had as much fun as you did!), but held off on buying one with race season approaching (needing to save some cash for travelling). Just yesterday I convinced myself that I'm not going to be doing nearly as many races as I planned, and went all in on finally getting myself a gravel bike... next thing I know I have a brand new Chapter2 AO frameset coming that I'm going to build up with GRX and some sweet tubeless wheels. Will have to return to this thread once I go "full send" in a few weeks.

Edit: a lot of this decision was made in the middle of a 4 hour trainer ride as it was pouring with rain outside. My thinking is "full send" gravel rides will be just that much extra fun in the pouring rain!
Last edited by: kerikstri: May 18, 20 18:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Next step? Try mountain biking :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Evil Chamois Hagar definitely the next step

Also known as a rigid mtb with dropbars but don't let that minor detail distract you from the cool name and gravel shredding design
Quote Reply
Re: I Went "Full Send" on Gravel: Everything is so Mundane Now, Where do I Go From Here? [Ice789] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ice789 wrote:

Already did. MTB is a gateway drug to hitting the local six pack in the woods to clipping in for a BMX race to broken collar bones.

I'm going to add pump track, downhill MTB, and gravel to my repertoire moving forward though.

Quote Reply
Re: I Went "Full Send" on Gravel: Everything is so Mundane Now, Where do I Go From Here? [G-man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
G-man wrote:
Hey Mr. Eric, what tires were you rocking on this trek? I always seek info on what tires others are liking on. Thanks G

Challenge low Crr 33mm tires.... let me go check exactly which ones. Strada Bianca. They're slicks and measure 35mm on my rims. FWIW, I'm the type of person to train on Conti Supersonics, so take my tire choice with a grain of salt.

E

Quote Reply
Re: I Went "Full Send" on Gravel: Everything is so Mundane Now, Where do I Go From Here? [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
Not running tubeless off road...how very "old school".

I'm working on tubeless now, trying to get up to speed. That said, IMO tubeless and latex tubes are exactly the same thing in theory, but operationally latex tubes are a little easier because if I do get a flat I can just change the tube quickly, and not have to worry about pulling off a tire bead.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On gravel, and the wider the tire gets, they get very different very quickly. Would have had two flats on my road bike with tires that measure ~29 mm last time I rode it if I was still running tubes, instead for one incedent I pulled out the thorn and kept going, and for the other I didnt even stop. No noticable pressure loss
Quote Reply
Re: I Went "Full Send" on Gravel: Everything is so Mundane Now, Where do I Go From Here? [kerikstri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kerikstri wrote:
This sounds awesome! I tested out a gravel bike back in December (and it sounds like I had as much fun as you did!), but held off on buying one with race season approaching (needing to save some cash for travelling). Just yesterday I convinced myself that I'm not going to be doing nearly as many races as I planned, and went all in on finally getting myself a gravel bike... next thing I know I have a brand new Chapter2 AO frameset coming that I'm going to build up with GRX and some sweet tubeless wheels. Will have to return to this thread once I go "full send" in a few weeks.

Edit: a lot of this decision was made in the middle of a 4 hour trainer ride as it was pouring with rain outside. My thinking is "full send" gravel rides will be just that much extra fun in the pouring rain!

Congrats on the new bike! I regret not buying an all-round bike like the Cervelo Aspero, or an "all-terrain" bike like the 3T or Open, etc.

Quote Reply
Re: I Went "Full Send" on Gravel: Everything is so Mundane Now, Where do I Go From Here? [Ice789] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ice789 wrote:

EXACTLY-my roadies and tri are collecting dust now that I am back in the dirt.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
That gravel experience is making easy long runs and rides boring in comparison.

I feel you on that! My friend recently picked up a gravel bike and I wanted to ride with him, but alas no bike. I have an old 2000 model Trek 1200 that I still ride the roads with and decided wth, Im going to try and put new tires on it and just have fun. I can't support more than a 28mm on the front, still 25mm on the back with the brakes. Brakes are shit, but that makes it more fun. We took them into Umstead when it reopened so nothing crazy technical, but its so nice to do something different.

Use this link to save $5 off your USAT membership renewal:
https://membership.usatriathlon.org/...A2-BAD7-6137B629D9B7
Quote Reply