Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: There is always someone faster... [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
djhuff7 wrote:
DFW_Tri wrote:
Make sense. And I get that it is still hard. Itā€™s not like I never draft when doing group rides. But, I would prefer there was no drafting. I guess Zwift is just catering to roadies who are used to it. Personally, I would just rather see how things stack up with no draft.

Same in Zwift, just a little bit of fun riding faster through a segment that I normally would.

Thereā€™s definitely something fun to riding along in a paceline at 25 (or whatever) MPH. Iā€™m it trying trying to be argumentative, but i fail to see how there is any ā€œfunā€ or equivalent adrenaline or satisfaction in doing the same in a video game as you donā€™t actually feel the sensation of improved speed. Sorry, Iā€™ve sidetracked this thread WAY too much already but just things Iā€˜ve thought about as I consider Zwift!

Dude, you just have to try it. It does not equal the thrills of outdoor bike racing or hard training, but I was a doubter as well yet I was amazed at how fun it was, and more importantly at how hard I work in every single Zwift race I enter, even if I'm planning to not put up an A effort. I don't even go that hard in outdoor riding, ever! It takes an activity that can really be a soul-sucking endeavour, and makes the deep suffering almost enjoyable. Almost, but not quite!
Quote Reply
Re: There is always someone faster... [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
Make sense. And I get that it is still hard. Itā€™s not like I never draft when doing group rides. But, I would prefer there was no drafting. I guess Zwift is just catering to roadies who are used to it. Personally, I would just rather see how things stack up with no draft.

So Zwift has time trials too, where you are on the same course as others, phased set off and drafting disabled.

What I've found is the drafting races are great fun and keep you extremely focused. The time flies by as you are absorbed in the race and the tactical element is fun. Also if you are in a competitive race whilst lasts dead on 20 minutes I almost guarantee you'll annihalate you FTP. I can punish myself on my own, but can't get near the power I can put down in a competitive scenario.
Quote Reply
Re: There is always someone faster... [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
DFW_Tri wrote:
djhuff7 wrote:
DFW_Tri wrote:

Same in Zwift, just a little bit of fun riding faster through a segment that I normally would.

Thereā€™s definitely something fun to riding along in a paceline at 25 (or whatever) MPH. Iā€™m it trying trying to be argumentative, but i fail to see how there is any ā€œfunā€ or equivalent adrenaline or satisfaction in doing the same in a video game as you donā€™t actually feel the sensation of improved speed. Sorry, Iā€™ve sidetracked this thread WAY too much already but just things Iā€˜ve thought about as I consider Zwift!

Dude, you just have to try it. It does not equal the thrills of outdoor bike racing or hard training, but I was a doubter as well yet I was amazed at how fun it was, and more importantly at how hard I work in every single Zwift race I enter, even if I'm planning to not put up an A effort. I don't even go that hard in outdoor riding, ever! It takes an activity that can really be a soul-sucking endeavour, and makes the deep suffering almost enjoyable. Almost, but not quite!

Fully agree. I don't know how, but I turn myself inside out as much, if not more, in a Zwift race as I do in the real world.
Thinking about strategy, testing the other riders, looking for the next opportunity all make the time go by pretty quickly. It's significantly more fun than riding base miles.

My "there's always someone faster" story:

I was heading out for a afternoon climbing workout of 3x15 minutes.
Neighbor is relaxing on his porch, see's me kitted up, asks if he can come along.
We roll over to the climb, I hit lap on the computer and bring the effort up.
Now, because I'm trying to impress him, I go a bit harder than I intended: 330w instead of my planned 310w
After a minute or two he asks "Have we started yet?" as he begins to accelerate.
I lifted the pace, trying to maintain my dignity, but cracked after a couple minutes as he rode off, besting my PR by minutes...

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply
Re: There is always someone faster... [runner66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Our local cycling club does a Segment of the Week challenge. Our first week back in town after moving I jumped in and did the segment with less than 24 hours left for the week. Took the KOM by about 20 seconds on a 361w 11 minute effort. This is in full race kit down to the calf sleeves and everything. Figured that one was pretty well locked in the bag. Less than 18 hours later, I wasn't even the fastest Ben on the segment. Turns out Ben King decided to hop into the challenge that week as well. Pretty cool getting to "compete" against him in these segments.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: There is always someone faster... [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:

Even though you don't race, with a real FTP north of 270, you should feel like one of the fastest riders in public
Man I'm pressing right up against that and I don't feel that fast, even at 70kg ha. I don't get passed very often at all while just riding around, but I don't consider myself on the pointy end either.

JustinDoesTriathlon

Owner, FuelRodz Endurance.
Quote Reply
Re: There is always someone faster... [PJH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PJH wrote:
plant_based wrote:
PJH wrote:
Always!

I got a new FTP of 370W this week which I was delighted with based on 389W for a 20 min test. FTP up 30W in 2 months.

Joined a open division flat zwift race today and couldn't hang on to the front group for more than 10 mins!

Nice! What are your racing/competition goals?

Thanks!

Since you ask, I'm new in the last 2 years to swimming, cycling and running, I did my first triathlon and first full Iromman last year and once COVID passes by I'd like to try and qualify for 70.3 WCs (other commitments pending!)

At my current rate of progression I'm confident I can get somewhere in the region of 390W - 400W FTP in the next 3 months but I'm really not sure whether that should be a goal or whether ultimately that will actually help speed up 70.3 distance bike leg. I've been considering whether to start a thread on that very topic, but imagine it has been done to death!

How heavy are you?
Quote Reply
Re: There is always someone faster... [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fulla wrote:
PJH wrote:
plant_based wrote:
PJH wrote:
Always!

I got a new FTP of 370W this week which I was delighted with based on 389W for a 20 min test. FTP up 30W in 2 months.

Joined a open division flat zwift race today and couldn't hang on to the front group for more than 10 mins!

Thanks!

Since you ask, I'm new in the last 2 years to swimming, cycling and running, I did my first triathlon and first full Iromman last year and once COVID passes by I'd like to try and qualify for 70.3 WCs (other commitments pending!)

At my current rate of progression I'm confident I can get somewhere in the region of 390W - 400W FTP in the next 3 months but I'm really not sure whether that should be a goal or whether ultimately that will actually help speed up 70.3 distance bike leg. I've been considering whether to start a thread on that very topic, but imagine it has been done to death!

How heavy are you?

99lbs on Zwift?

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

ā€œYou are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.ā€
Quote Reply
Re: There is always someone faster... [Engner66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you tried on a TT bike with double draft on?
Quote Reply
Re: There is always someone faster... [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:

lol, that's just a recipe for pain :)
Quote Reply
Re: There is always someone faster... [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
fulla wrote:
PJH wrote:
plant_based wrote:
PJH wrote:
Always!

Thanks!

How heavy are you?

99lbs on Zwift?

Haha - not quite - 92KG, 192CM and very broad (this sounds a bit too much like a dating app description)

So that puts me at the sharp end of B for most zwift races at a 4.02 w/kg (B based on Zwift power)

I know the algorithm will hit me hard on hills but I think it is plain wrong on flat races - I often end up putting in 100W extra than others on pan flat courses just to stay in the front group, it might be zwift skills, but it seems very off to me.
Quote Reply
Re: There is always someone faster... [MRid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MRid wrote:
Francois wrote:

lol, that's just a recipe for pain :)

I've tried racing only once really. And even though I was a beta tester, I had never bothered with the racing part. So had no idea what it meant.
I also had no idea why I had several comments along the lines of "TT bike uh? You want to hurt?" I thought it was a dig at triathletes.
Live and learn ;-)
Quote Reply

Prev Next