Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Any high quality negative degree stems?
Quote | Reply
I'm looking for stem ideas that could be run in a very dropped angle to get my basebars in line with my top tube, I found a couple of "Riser" stems that are a whopping -35 or -45 degree angles that I could run upside down to achieve this, but due to the demographic they are very cheap (which means very heavy) and clunky.

Theres a few nice ones out there that are around -17 degree, but my bike is a older cervelo, and not the current trendy frame design where the headtube is really short to get the stem integrated with the top tube.. a new frame is out of the question for me!

Im currently running a tririg N35 upside down, with no bearing dust cap, but the way this stem is engineered I figure its probably only working out to -15 upside down. (this stem is also very heavy, but at least its somewhat aero!)
Quote Reply
Re: Any high quality negative degree stems? [mkseppa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like this stem

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/..._ship_confirm_retail

It's a -20 but the clamp area is small so it sits lower than other -20 stems
Yes, it is a Mountain bike stem but it works on my road, tri and track bikes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fizik Cyrano R1 -20 degree.
Deda Pista -20 degree.
Quote Reply
Re: Any high quality negative degree stems? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was looking at that one, there are some copies of that one available at -25 degree too, problem is I find the clamp area is super wide and would effect my aerobar clamp position.

jaretj wrote:
I like this stem
https://www.competitivecyclist.com/..._ship_confirm_retail

It's a -20 but the clamp area is small so it sits lower than other -20 stems
Yes, it is a Mountain bike stem but it works on my road, tri and track bikes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
51.9mm vs 42 for most other stems I own
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zipp do a Service Course one at +/- 25 degrees and a variety of lengths. Not stupidly expensive.
(I have a couple in the garage - I had a flare up of an old neck injury a couple of years back and had to just jack up the front of the bike to be able to ride without my arm and hand going completely numb. Very un-aero position but it meant I could st least do a full distance race I was entered in.)

They are flippable + or -.
Not as wide as some Mtb stems but also not the thinnest thing either (4 bolt face plate). I can try measure one up later and re-post the info.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use a Profile Design Aris OS stem with -25 degrees on my P2. It is relatively cheap, and available in a range of lengths from 70-130mm.

I've looked at upgrading the stem for cleaner cable routing, but the alternatives I could find were both heavier and more expensive.
Last edited by: mike_w: May 17, 20 10:01
Quote Reply
Re: Any high quality negative degree stems? [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BobAjobb wrote:
Zipp do a Service Course one at +/- 25 degrees and a variety of lengths. Not stupidly expensive.
(I have a couple in the garage - I had a flare up of an old neck injury a couple of years back and had to just jack up the front of the bike to be able to ride without my arm and hand going completely numb. Very un-aero position but it meant I could st least do a full distance race I was entered in.)

They are flippable + or -.
Not as wide as some Mtb stems but also not the thinnest thing either (4 bolt face plate). I can try measure one up later and re-post the info.

The Zipp stem is nice. I'm doing the same thing w/my Shiv to get a low enough position. I went with the Specialized Comp stem (https://www.specialized.com/...xEAQYBCABEgKQefD_BwE). It's a bit heavier (30g), but it allows the angle to be adjusted from -20 to -28 via inserts. This way I can easily experiment with different drop (or adjust as I get used to the position) quickly and easily (and at no cost).

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Last edited by: Titanflexr: May 17, 20 13:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have an eleven81 35 degree stem. Around 150g. Cheap too at ~$30 from the interwebs.

I also second the FSA SL-K 20 degree stem. I had a similar version, like this from ebay, but there are several manufacturers that sell this kind of stem (just search for 'bicycle stem 20') that are about 1/3rd of the cost of the SLK stuff.

Having said that... if you need anything fast, don't order from China right now as shipping is all messed up at the moment.
Quote Reply
Re: Any high quality negative degree stems? [beston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I order stuff from China every week and it takes about two weeks to be delivered.
Quote Reply
Re: Any high quality negative degree stems? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok... so I measured up the Zipp Service Course stem. The face plate is 48.6mm wide at its widest (the body is about 5mm narrower).

Weights for 2 that I have:
105mm. 166g
90mm. 152g
Quote Reply
Re: Any high quality negative degree stems? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
While I don't order from China often, I recently had a package delivered in about 2.5 weeks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a big fan of these because they don't aim downhill but effectively are well below a traditional -17* stem- all told maybe another full cm of drop vs. a flat traditional stem.

https://shop.fullspeedahead.com/...s/mtb/sl-k-drop-stem

Reasonably light and very low.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did some research on this a while back, and wanted a stem from a named brand.

Here's what I found in options

30-40 degree stem (the problem here is most are not that long

- Ritchey comp 4-axis 30 degree (This is probably the best option as it is as long as 120mm)
- Origin8 everland (40 degree but 50mm stack)
- Pro LT (35 degrees, tops out at 100mm, probably the lightest of the bunch)
- Origin8 Pro fit alloy ergo (35 degree)

25 degree stem

- Zipp Service Course
- Profile Design Aris
- Origin8 everland
- Salsa Guide
- Specialized Comp Multi-stem
- Ritchey has one, but I would not try it, it has a 220mm wrap around, and not sure if it'll fit aerobars with easily (the old 260 wrap around versions wouldn't)

Alternatively, you can also use an adjustable stem. Ritchey and Pro makes them. 3T used to make one.
Last edited by: bloodyshogun: May 20, 20 8:29
Quote Reply