Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

100 mile treadmill world record attempt
Quote | Reply
Ultrarunner Zach Bitter (100 mile outdoor world record holder, set on a track) is going for the treadmill record today. The live feed has all sorts of ultra endurance legends: Dave Scott and Dean Karnases just finished hosting, Dan Plews will be on later, Courtney Dauwalter, et al.

The run is involved with Fight For the Forgotten, a charity dedicated to combating bullying.

Zach is a little over halfway and well on track to crush the record. Head over to YouTube and check it out if you're interested:

Part 1:

Part 2:
Quote Reply
Re: 100 mile treadmill world record attempt [vonagut] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Definitely going to break that record if nothing crazy happens. Being part of SFuels I ran 21k on my treadmill earlier "with" him. I've really enjoyed all the guest speakers talking about Ultra running. Hopefully they repost this so I can watch and listen to the all guests in sections when I'm on the trainer.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Re: 100 mile treadmill world record attempt [timr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Two new world records, pending verification:
Treadmill 12 hour: 98.64 miles (previous 94.75 by Vito Intini in 2018)
Treadmill 100 mile: 12:09:15 (previous 12:32:26 by Dave Proctor in 2019). Average 7:18/mile.

Interesting to note how much slower this was than the over ground 100 mile record he set last year on a track in 11:19:13 (6:48/mile).

Also, he's mostly low-carb high-fat and cycles carbs depending on training/racing. For the attempt, his target was about 40 g CHO per hour.
Quote Reply
Re: 100 mile treadmill world record attempt [vonagut] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vonagut wrote:
Two new world records, pending verification:
Treadmill 12 hour: 98.64 miles (previous 94.75 by Vito Intini in 2018)
Treadmill 100 mile: 12:09:15 (previous 12:32:26 by Dave Proctor in 2019). Average 7:18/mile.

Interesting to note how much slower this was than the over ground 100 mile record he set last year on a track in 11:19:13 (6:48/mile).
Also, he's mostly low-carb high-fat and cycles carbs depending on training/racing. For the attempt, his target was about 40 g CHO per hour.

It is amazing to me that he was slower on the TM than on the track, b/c it has always been the exact reverse for me. I'm at least 1:00 per mile slower on the track than on the 'mill, even if I set the machine to 0% grade. Did they say what % grade he was on???

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: 100 mile treadmill world record attempt [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know about the gradient, but this article suggests he varied it during the 12 hours (Apologies for the crappiness of the article).

https://www.runnersworld.com/...admill-world-record/

“Biomechanics are very important, so you need some sort of variation to give your body something a little different over time,” Bitter said. “I spoke with another runner, and he recommended changing the incline every so often to stretch out the hips and hamstrings.”

I don't think you can take too much away from his treadmill run being slower than his track WR. We only have two data points here and a treadmill WR isn't exactly the biggest motivation for peak performance, particularly over 100 miles. How does your marathon PR compare to 26.2 miles on the treadmill?

I'm curious to know how good Zach really is. I'd love to see him race some more conventional races, preferably with competition. His performances at Western States (15th, 11th), Comrades (32nd) and the 100km World Champs (20th, 6th) apparently don't reflect his capabilities. I'd like to see him run a 24 Hour, either in high level competition or an attempt on Kouros' WR.
Quote Reply
Re: 100 mile treadmill world record attempt [satanellus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He was asked about a 24 hour attempt and he said no way. That was 5 minutes after he stepped off the treadmill though. We all know how differently we feel the next day/week verse right after finishing an event.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, not a good time to ask. Especially if the inference was another treadmill run.

A proper 24 Hour race from Bitter would be really interesting. Despite the resurgence of ultra running in the last decade, Kouros' 24 record remains as otherworldly and unthreatened as it was 23 years ago.
Last edited by: satanellus: May 18, 20 5:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He attempted the Spartathlon from Athens to Sparta (153mi/246km) this year which Yiannis holds the record at around 22 hours. Got a stomach bug and wasn't able to go past 85 miles, but he definitely has longer races in his sights. I asked him about a 24 hour attempt and he indicated he is interested in moving up to that distance.
Quote Reply
Re: 100 mile treadmill world record attempt [satanellus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
satanellus wrote:
I don't know about the gradient, but this article suggests he varied it during the 12 hours (Apologies for the crappiness of the article).

https://www.runnersworld.com/...admill-world-record/

“Biomechanics are very important, so you need some sort of variation to give your body something a little different over time,” Bitter said. “I spoke with another runner, and he recommended changing the incline every so often to stretch out the hips and hamstrings.”

I don't think you can take too much away from his treadmill run being slower than his track WR. We only have two data points here and a treadmill WR isn't exactly the biggest motivation for peak performance, particularly over 100 miles. How does your marathon PR compare to 26.2 miles on the treadmill?

I'm curious to know how good Zach really is. I'd love to see him race some more conventional races, preferably with competition. His performances at Western States (15th, 11th), Comrades (32nd) and the 100km World Champs (20th, 6th) apparently don't reflect his capabilities. I'd like to see him run a 24 Hour, either in high level competition or an attempt on Kouros' WR.

Interesting, good points, thanks.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: 100 mile treadmill world record attempt [Nick2413] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nick2413 wrote:
He attempted the Spartathlon from Athens to Sparta (153mi/246km) this year which Yiannis holds the record at around 22 hours. Got a stomach bug and wasn't able to go past 85 miles, but he definitely has longer races in his sights. I asked him about a 24 hour attempt and he indicated he is interested in moving up to that distance.

Thanks, Nick. When did you speak to Zach? Do you know him well?

For some perspective, Kouros has the four fastest times for the Spartathlon, ranging from the race record 20:25 to 21:57. No other runner has gone under 22 hours since the race started in 1983.

It was the inaugural race when an unknown Kouros ran 21:53, a time that was met with some incredulity and led to unfounded suspicions of Kouros accepting a lift during the event. Of course, those in attendance had merely been privileged to witness the debut of the greatest ultra runner the world has yet to see.

By comparison, Scott Jurek's times decades later were 22:20, 22:52 and 23:12. For those not familiar with Jurek, he was the winner of Western States 100 Mile for seven years in succession.
Quote Reply