Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Shimano Di2 1x13 experiment/feasibility?
Quote | Reply
Since I'm thinking of a new bike and actually do like the idea of going 1x (3T Strada), I'd like to share some thoughts on an experimental setup.
(reasoning is that I am not sure about 1x11 or 1x12 cassette, since I prefer a "straight block" for fast paced riding and am hearing some growing pains for the only 1x13 groupset on the market which actually does allow a feasible range)
* in case some of the product-managers/insiders already do have some MY2021/MY2022 Shimano insights regarding 1x12/13/14/?? please share :-)

So what do you think of below "setup"
Shifters: Shimano Di2 road, 1x11 speed --> these are supposed to just act as dumb switches, so should theoratically allow an infinite nr. of gears?
Rear-der: Shimano 1x12 MTB Di2 --> already proven to work with the road shifters
Cassette+hub: Rotor 13-speed --> this cassette uses the same cog-distance as 1x12 shimano, with just an additional cog afaik?

Since every rear-der. does have some additional range(low/high limiter screw), I can imagine the full "throw" (with low/high limits maxed out) could allow the width of a 13-spd cassette, so allowing one additional cog.

So basically from a mechanical p.o.v. everything is more or less existing for 1x13 Di2, right?
Then the bigges issue will be, does anyone have experience "hacking" the Di2 system, such that the derailleur will allow 13 gears?

What do you guys think of the above setup/feasibility?
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano Di2 1x13 experiment/feasibility? [Kempenaer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The person who learns to hack a Di2 system to shift alternate cassette spacing/counts, and shares that with the public, will be the cycling world's f'ing hero.

As for your assumption that there's enough adjustment range between the limits to accommodate the extra width of a Rotor 13 speed cassette, I'm not sure that's true. Even if it is, it would presumably be with both limit screws maxed out. Then it only works if the derailleur and cassette are perfectly aligned, which Murphy's Law says will never be the case.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Last edited by: gary p: May 15, 20 6:26
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano Di2 1x13 experiment/feasibility? [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you're right!
So to all the Shimano SW-developers in here, that want to become a hero ... just add a couple lines of code please :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
“Rear-der: Shimano 1x12 MTB Di2 --> already proven to work with the road shifters”

There is no Shimano 12 speed MTB Di2 RD ... only mechanical
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano Di2 1x13 experiment/feasibility? [liquid_speed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sorry, you're right ... thought I read some posts on mixing road + mtb and then this idea got stuck in my head that 12 spd Di2 existed.
So then lets just hope they will finally release the 14 spd groupset :-) (maybe at next years anniversary???)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What about one of these? https://archercomponents.com

I've tried one out, it shifts very quickly, very easy to set up. Use it with a cheap 10 speed, 11 speed, whatever derailleur and you can make it work with 13 speed (or 14 speed, or 15 speed...). I've confirmed with the manufacturer that you can lengthen the cable housing so you could realistically hide the box somewhere else (e.g. a top tube bento).
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano Di2 1x13 experiment/feasibility? [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
I've tried one out, it shifts very quickly, very easy to set up. Use it with a cheap 10 speed, 11 speed, whatever derailleur and you can make it work with 13 speed (or 14 speed, or 15 speed...). I've confirmed with the manufacturer that you can lengthen the cable housing so you could realistically hide the box somewhere else (e.g. a top tube bento).

I'm not really fond of the current mounting method. When I look at the D1, I think "wouldn't it be great if there were bosses on the bottom of drive-side chainstay to hard mount one of those?" Not dissimilar from the bosses on the bottom of the non-drive side chain stay some frames have for mounting an external Di2 battery, just farther down towards the axle? Of course that will never happen. Shimano/SRAM would never sell another oem component to any manufacturer who would facilitate turning any plain old mechanical RD into wireless electronic for $350, undercutting their Di2 and eTap cash cows.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Last edited by: gary p: May 15, 20 9:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And here I am, struggling to dial in a 105 10 speed...

damn.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano Di2 1x13 experiment/feasibility? [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is interesting, but shouldn't this just be a setting? I'm an swe. I RE'd the di2 can bus protocol of a DA9000 several years ago, it was a huge pain and very hard (for me anyways, I didn't say I was a _good_ swe). I was trying out automatic shifting. Did end up getting it working with a lot of pain, but while it was a fun project and wasn't super happy with the results. I'm sure I have the code somewhere. Shimano does not make it easy though. Nowadays my day job is machine learning, it might be cool to train a neural network to do the auto shifting.
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano Di2 1x13 experiment/feasibility? [hankscorpio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting it's CAN bus.
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano Di2 1x13 experiment/feasibility? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah, my understanding is that everything past 7900 is can bus, but I don't know that for sure.
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano Di2 1x13 experiment/feasibility? [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:

Interesting concept indeed. However unfortunately not really suitable for a clean-looking aero road-bike in my opinion; for triathlon I could indeed envision hiding this in the bento. However 1x for a tri-bike doesn't need the wide-gearing range (at least around here), so existing options are available for that
Quote Reply