Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Offical: IM WC moved to 2/6/21 [NickMa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree will have to see how things go??? I can't see why over next 6 months things would get worse so...

Technique will always last longer then energy production. Improve biomechanics, improve performance.
http://Www.anthonytoth.ca, triathletetoth@twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Offical: IM WC moved to 2/6/21 [Plissken74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Plissken74 wrote:
Dan Funk wrote:
Plissken74 wrote:
The way I see it is: it is a world championship race. It means not only Americans, Australians, Europeans should be there but also athletes from Africa and Asia. Do you think by fall, we will have people covered with vaccine? if not, how do you think they will be allowed to travel to Kona?
Are you considering that there will be hundreds of athletes who are no-vax party? what do you do with them? (I am not no-vax)
Masks and social distancing will last for years!

I really can not see how Kona 2021 can happen, in a fair and equal way for all worldwide people.

There are races happening in the United States right now (Challenge Miami) in which international athletes from Canada, EU, Great Britain, Asia, Australia, Brazil, etc participated.

So why shouldn't Kona 2021 happen, if cleared to race?

sorry which athletes? PRO? oh yes. age group from Europe? how many?

I think most of you guys are gettting confused about this age grouper thing. The World Championships are really about a professional race. There will be top tier pros who will make it a worlds worthy field.

The age grouper race is a "revenue fill" show. They make us feel good about ourselves, but we're like the fans in the stadium at a Premier League soccer match. We are paying the tickets. It does not matter what fans are there (how fast they are). We're there to pay the bills even though we are duped into thinking we are special. We're just being used to create a volume business (which is fine).

If kona can happen with or without age groupers, the quality and depth of the age group field is not that important in a post pandemic year. We'll also get to deep and competititive age group field in due course. Pro sports are possible during a pandemic as proven by many sports (and triathlon), so let's just take that and take whatever the age group field is.
Quote Reply
Re: Offical: IM WC moved to 2/6/21 [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Plissken74 wrote:
Dan Funk wrote:
Plissken74 wrote:
The way I see it is: it is a world championship race. It means not only Americans, Australians, Europeans should be there but also athletes from Africa and Asia. Do you think by fall, we will have people covered with vaccine? if not, how do you think they will be allowed to travel to Kona?
Are you considering that there will be hundreds of athletes who are no-vax party? what do you do with them? (I am not no-vax)

I really can not see how Kona 2021 can happen, in a fair and equal way for all worldwide people.

There are races happening in the United States right now (Challenge Miami) in which international athletes from Canada, EU, Great Britain, Asia, Australia, Brazil, etc participated.

I think most of you guys are gettting confused about this age grouper thing. The World Championships are really about a professional race. There will be top tier pros who will make it a worlds worthy field.

The age grouper race is a "revenue fill" show. They make us feel good about ourselves, but we're like the fans in the stadium at a Premier League soccer match. We are paying the tickets. It does not matter what fans are there (how fast they are). We're there to pay the bills even though we are duped into thinking we are special. We're just being used to create a volume business (which is fine).

If kona can happen with or without age groupers, the quality and depth of the age group field is not that important in a post pandemic year. We'll also get to deep and competititive age group field in due course. Pro sports are possible during a pandemic as proven by many sports (and triathlon), so let's just take that and take whatever the age group field is.

who makes the events popular? what about NYC or Boston marathons with PROs only? where would they be today?
age groups keep alive the events and make the businesses running around them

no age groups, no Kona
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Plissken74 wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
Plissken74 wrote:
Dan Funk wrote:
Plissken74 wrote:

who makes the events popular? what about NYC or Boston marathons with PROs only? where would they be today?

no age groups, no Kona

Kona will be just fine for one year with any age groupers. In the first decade of Kona, anyone could show up and it did not take away from Dave Scott vs Mark Allen. Any age groupers can show up this year, and it won't take away from Jan vs Brownlee vs Lionel vs Cam vs .....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Plissken74 wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
Plissken74 wrote:
Dan Funk wrote:
Plissken74 wrote:

no age groups, no Kona

To respond to your previous comment to me: I don't know the exact demos of age groupers - but know from all the threads here that have related to earnings of a typical amateur triathlete: My assumption is that far more age groupers can afford to make travel to Hawaii easier than most Pros. Ability to get there isn't any easier for an international Pro than it is for an AGer. Probably the opposite in a lot of cases.

And as Dev says, I just think you're wrong on your points above. For example, they ran the London Marathon last year with only a few pros. No AGers. Plenty of "championships" being run across a variety of sport that won't have equal representation this year... but they are going ahead with them anyway.

It's going to be a messed up year. I believe a lot of races will happen. Some people, who are in restricted circumstances, will miss out. Who knows, it may be me?

I'd be disappointed, but the races will go on.
Quote Reply
Re: Offical: IM WC moved to 2/6/21 [Dan Funk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dan Funk wrote:
To respond to your previous comment to me: I don't know the exact demos of age groupers - but know from all the threads here that have related to earnings of a typical amateur triathlete: My assumption is that far more age groupers can afford to make travel to Hawaii easier than most Pros. Ability to get there isn't any easier for an international Pro than it is for an AGer. Probably the opposite in a lot of cases.

Not exactly.
At least from an Australian viewpoint.
If you are travelling for Work reasons (which a Pro would be), then you would end up with an infinitely easier visa application, compared to a recreational visa.
I am assuming this is going to be similar for many other countries as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Offical: IM WC moved to 2/6/21 [SayHey Kid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ironman plans to announce something tomorrow regarding Kona.
Will see.

Source: https://www.facebook.com/...deos/511265949864321
Last edited by: NickMa: Apr 5, 21 11:02
Quote Reply
Re: Offical: IM WC moved to 2/6/21 [Cape_Horn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cape_Horn wrote:
Dan Funk wrote:

Not exactly.
At least from an Australian viewpoint.
If you are travelling for Work reasons (which a Pro would be), then you would end up with an infinitely easier visa application, compared to a recreational visa.
I am assuming this is going to be similar for many other countries as well.

Fair enough. Although, I do believe there will likely be progress made by October for a lot of countries that will allow regular folks to travel. But, what will be tough... will people want to risk $$$ or be able to move fast enough.

This is where it will likely be asymmetrical this year: Some people will be able to travel. Some people might not be able to.

But I would certainly think IM will run Kona, no matter what. They won't give up another year. The geographic make-up, and number, of racers on the pier will likely won't be representative of a typical year, though.
Quote Reply

Prev Next