Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Beach Town with Great Biking [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
s13tx wrote:
If you are on a budget, I recommend Galveston. You can catch some free dinners occasionally too. That's best I got around here. LOL!!

Galveston is a shithole and the cycling sucks. But that’s probably why you said “if you’re on a budget.” :-)

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Beach Town with Great Biking [PBT_2009] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PBT_2009 wrote:
Just because you encountered one idiot doesn't mean a place is bad for cycling.

I've visited Wildwood/Cape May annually for 3 years and bring my bike every time because it's great riding. I've done multiple 80 milers up to Ocean City (thru Avalon, Stone Harbor, Sea Isle City) and back to Cape May, via both inland and coastal routes. And it's a great great ride. For shorter rides, cruising around the back roads of cape may (near the ferry terminal, lighthouse, and vineyards, that type of area) is excellent. Couple spots of bumpy roads but overall I think Cape may is a great answer to this question. Dead-ass flat roads, wind can be an issue but that's what you get near the coast. Also, the beaches there are among the best. Great spot for chillin' after a long ride in the morning. Don't let "Jersey Shore" fool you - sure, Wildwood proper is sorta like that with the boardwalks and is full of annoying people starting at 10am, but Cape May has a totally different vibe. Reminds me of Nantucket and Cape Cod. We stay in Wildwood Crest because the beaches are all free, more accessible, and lodging is more affordable (and my wife prefers the beach access), but Wildwood Crest is further south of Wildwood proper. It's near southern end of the Wildwood "island" - very close to the bridge to Cape May. We go to the beach in Wildwood Crest then hang out in Cape May if we want to go somewhere.

We're in the early stages of buying a second home in that exact area. The riding potential - in that immediate area, and as the start point for longer rides up to the towns you mention - is one of my key motivators (but I haven't told my wife that!).
Quote Reply
Re: Beach Town with Great Biking [tanbrett87] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is Maui really good for road cycling? Seemed very windy and plenty of traffic, no secluded roads. Kona is worse.
Quote Reply
Re: Beach Town with Great Biking [DBF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You will all think I am crazy for saying this but Prince Edward Island in Canada has the warmest ocean water north of Virginia on the east coast (thanks to the Gulf Stream current and also the St Lawrence seaway spill out) and has incredible white sand beaches. It is also highly rural with roads that go on for ever with very little traffic. If you visit in late June, July, or August it’s a great vacation.
Quote Reply
Re: Beach Town with Great Biking [Natrl DIZZ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Natrl DIZZ wrote:
Another benny ...

"Bennies" are in North Jersey; in South Jersey we have "shoobies"

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Beach Town with Great Biking [indianacyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m ready for my next move on. I never road a car in Melbourne ,Australia, for 25 years, bike and public transport was awesome. Just finishing up on 35 years in San Diego. Fantastic rides, fantastic riders, but as someone who values time, and doesn’t believe in driving a car to ride a bike, the magic has gone. My suburb never gets repaving92117, while next door 92122 has been done 4 times, regardless of condition. So there are constantly crappy roads, a growing angry constituency in pick up trucks, irony, all I drive, that resents and insults me, and more and more traffic, and traffic lights. The only plus is the Tri Club, and Koz races.

So, I found the town for my next 3 decades. Los Osos. Building moratorium, due to water, I can see the ocean, the bay, good by swimming, hello kayaking, and I can go out my door gravel, dirt, or road, for endless miles. Hope you find your magic place.
Quote Reply
Re: Beach Town with Great Biking [ozseppo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ozseppo wrote:
I’m ready for my next move on. I never road a car in Melbourne ,Australia, for 25 years, bike and public transport was awesome. Just finishing up on 35 years in San Diego. Fantastic rides, fantastic riders, but as someone who values time, and doesn’t believe in driving a car to ride a bike, the magic has gone. My suburb never gets repaving92117, while next door 92122 has been done 4 times, regardless of condition. So there are constantly crappy roads, a growing angry constituency in pick up trucks, irony, all I drive, that resents and insults me, and more and more traffic, and traffic lights. The only plus is the Tri Club, and Koz races.

So, I found the town for my next 3 decades. Los Osos. Building moratorium, due to water, I can see the ocean, the bay, good by swimming, hello kayaking, and I can go out my door gravel, dirt, or road, for endless miles. Hope you find your magic place.

Wow congrats!

I don’t see anything with a view of the ocean for less than 1.5 mil

Nice going!!
Quote Reply
Re: Beach Town with Great Biking [MadisonMan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cocoa beach to Vero Beach FL
Quote Reply
Re: Beach Town with Great Biking [erik+] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I currently live in Raleigh, NC and am considering a move to the Morehead City/Emerald Isle area this summer. I would like to switch to more Swim/Run races and keep the bike for more occasional rides and cross training.

Is there something particularly not desirable about the ocean swims in that area?

Where did you do most of your gravel rides?

Thanks in advance!
Quote Reply
Re: Beach Town with Great Biking [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
I think maybe Maiorca is what you are looking for.

Think I'd pick Tenerife:

Not expensive, but getting there and back usually is.
Last edited by: rruff: May 20, 20 8:26
Quote Reply
Re: Beach Town with Great Biking [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One of my favorite places to visit for cycling has been Gulf Shores / Orange Beach. I know there are a whole lot better places, but I've sure enjoyed going there in the off season for a nice quite out and back type route along the coast. I suppose if I lived there I would drive inland for a longer country route. I follow a few on Strava and the coastline of California looks awesome and near the mountains.
Quote Reply
Re: Beach Town with Great Biking [Christine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Christine wrote:
I currently live in Raleigh, NC and am considering a move to the Morehead City/Emerald Isle area this summer. I would like to switch to more Swim/Run races and keep the bike for more occasional rides and cross training.

Is there something particularly not desirable about the ocean swims in that area?

Where did you do most of your gravel rides?

Thanks in advance!

The swimming wasn't too bad. Atlantic in general seems a bit dirtier than the Pacific, but that's my non-scientific insight. You can swim lots of places in the intercoastal waterway as well.

There's good gravel riding inland pretty much everywhere from Morehead down to Topsail, just watch out for the restricted areas so you don't wander into a live fire area, which isn't really a risk as everything is posted well. The strava heatmaps and segments show a lot of the good routes. But everything is super flat. You can do a hundred mile ride with only a few hundred feet of climbing.
Last edited by: erik+: May 20, 20 11:41
Quote Reply
Re: Beach Town with Great Biking [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
Natrl DIZZ wrote:
Another benny ...

"Bennies" are in North Jersey; in South Jersey we have "shoobies"

Fairly new to LBI and I'm just heard "shoobies" for the first time a few weeks ago. My son thought it might be a generational thing with the kids saying shoobies (actually I think he said "shoob" without the ie) and the old folks saying bennies.
Quote Reply
Re: Beach Town with Great Biking [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
just curious, why didn't you just cross into the opposite lane and go around?

RandMart wrote:
I can tell you the WORST

We were in Cape May one Summer day [actually a LOT of days, but I'm only going to talk about this one particular day] and some AirBNB-ing tourist was slow-pedaling his beefy cruiser down Beach Avenue. He was wearing a floral shirt, cargo shorts, Teva-like sandals, and a straw hat [NOT a helmet, mind you].

He was making 8 mph or so [less than 2/3 as fast as a Kenyan runs, to put in perspective] down the middle of the street. Yeah, right in front of me, and the parade of cars that was forming behind me. Ok, not the MIDDLE of the street, but far enough into the lane that I couldn't get around. As a cyclist, I could see that he was over that much, so he wouldn't get doored. Still, I laid on my horn and advised that he pick up the pace, and yield somewhat to the vehicles behind

I believe that my exact words were "Hurry the fuck up, or move the fuck over"

He gently glided to his right with just barely enough room for me to go past, without crossing into opposing lane.

When we came to the light, he asked, in his most condescending and entitled tone possible "You have a problem?"
"Look asshole, I'm a cyclist myself, and can appreciate your position, but I will GLADLY run you the fuck over if you get in my way one more fucking time. And if *I* don't someone else will. And put a fucking helmet on. That luau hat looks stupid as shit"

I'm not the slightest bit proud of myself for that one. I even went to Confession for it the following Saturday afternoon
Quote Reply
Re: Beach Town with Great Biking [Hed Case] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm just here to co-sign on everything you just said. I'm so glad we moved here. A great place to live or holiday!
Quote Reply

Prev Next