Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Desperate times - desperate measures
Quote | Reply
Social Distancing swim in the snow this morning.

Air temp = 30 deg F
Water temp ~50 deg F

Quote Reply
Re: Desperate times - desperate measures [trislayer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think your Brain got infected.

Haha. Good stuff.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Which one are you? Any did you wear ear plugs?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nice!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Respect.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I look at the lower picture, one with naked upper body, one with paddles, the left one of the upper picture did not survive?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MOTO
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice, very nice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice, very nice!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK, I am impressed! Well done. What was the water temp (I am guess that the water was warmer than the air)?
Quote Reply
Re: Desperate times - desperate measures [longtrousers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
longtrousers wrote:
If I look at the lower picture, one with naked upper body, one with paddles, the left one of the upper picture did not survive?

In the sport of snow swimming, the training group are governed by 2 equal yet opposite forces. The warmth provided by a wetsuit and the importance of staying shirtless to flex abs. These are their stories.
Dun dun
LAW AND ORDER - OPEN WATER SWIM
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Top effort!

Though we need more details. Like swim distance and how long you were in for?

And a bit of backstory. I'm guessing it was preceded by a drunken conversation with someone suggesting "We should going swimming tomorrow". That's usually how these things escalate.
Quote Reply
Re: Desperate times - desperate measures [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
johnnybefit wrote:
Which one are you? Any did you wear ear plugs?

I'm the one with the wetsuit + paddles. No ear plugs. I needed the paddles so I could keep up. The other guys are way faster than me.

The guy with just floaty pants (no wetsuit) does all that Wim Hof stuff, so the cold water was no big deal to him.
Quote Reply
Re: Desperate times - desperate measures [longtrousers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
longtrousers wrote:

The 3rd guy turned back at one point due to the discomfort trying to keep his face in the water. But, when we extended our swim a little longer, he re-joined.
Quote Reply
Re: Desperate times - desperate measures [satanellus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
satanellus wrote:
Top effort!

And a bit of backstory. I'm guessing it was preceded by a drunken conversation with someone suggesting "We should going swimming tomorrow". That's usually how these things escalate.

This was in fact the result of a text discussion (while drinking) the night before. My wife agreed to accompany us in a kayak, and she took the photo's.

It was pretty windy, so we stayed in a sheltered cove. At the start, we went about 100m and stopped to discuss how long the madness would continue. We kept going (away from our starting point) another 100-200m. Then we turned around and headed back. I'd guess the total distance ~400-500m. This short distance was mostly due to me being out of swim shape, because at the point we had acclimated to the cold water and could have stayed in longer.

We hung out in the water for a few extra minutes at the end (for pic's and conversation). Total time in the water was about 15 minutes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trislayer wrote:
satanellus wrote:
Top effort!

This was in fact the result of a text discussion (while drinking) the night before. My wife agreed to accompany us in a kayak, and she took the photo's.

It was pretty windy, so we stayed in a sheltered cove. At the start, we went about 100m and stopped to discuss how long the madness would continue. We kept going (away from our starting point) another 100-200m. Then we turned around and headed back. I'd guess the total distance ~400-500m. This short distance was mostly due to me being out of swim shape, because at the point we had acclimated to the cold water and could have stayed in longer.

We hung out in the water for a few extra minutes at the end (for pic's and conversation). Total time in the water was about 15 minutes.

Kudos and a great story.

Any consideration of a second swim? It would be interesting if your body and mind are better acclimated on another outing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trislayer wrote:
longtrousers wrote:

The 3rd guy turned back at one point due to the discomfort trying to keep his face in the water. But, when we extended our swim a little longer, he re-joined.

Define "re-joined?" Did he get out of the water and then get back in? Or you just caught up with him on the way back?
Because if he got out, then decided to try for more and got in again, that's a special kind of drain bammage

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Desperate times - desperate measures [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
trislayer wrote:
longtrousers wrote:

Define "re-joined?" Did he get out of the water and then get back in? Or you just caught up with him on the way back?
Because if he got out, then decided to try for more and got in again, that's a special kind of drain bammage

We caught up with him on the way back.

We have now all agreed to make this a weekly OWS for the foreseeable future. It won't seem as badass without the snow, but it will still be very cold for several more weeks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trislayer wrote:

I now have a hard rule not to commit to anything while drinking. Workout, race, nothing. There have been several occasions where something sounded like a great idea, then you wake up the next day and say "I agreed to what???" Being me, I won't back down from it, but ugh.
Quote Reply
Re: Desperate times - desperate measures [djhuff7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
djhuff7 wrote:
I now have a hard rule not to commit to anything while drinking. Workout, race, nothing. There have been several occasions where something sounded like a great idea, then you wake up the next day and say "I agreed to what???" Being me, I won't back down from it, but ugh.

I think I need to go back and re-read the "What got you into the sport?" thread and see how many start with "We were drinking, and ..."

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are studs. That is all I have to say about that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trislayer wrote:
Social Distancing swim in the snow this morning.

Air temp = 30 deg F
Water temp ~50 deg F

Wow! That is Beast Mode! I don't know if I'll ever be able to pull something like that off. Truly impressive.
Quote Reply