Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New Zealand border
Quote | Reply
Apologies if this is a repeat

https://www.bbc.co.uk/.../world-asia-52540733

New Zealand locking borders. Pretty solid bet 70.3 worlds cancelled. Shame as was gonna be my first time out.
Quote Reply
Re: New Zealand border [Lazydoc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lazydoc wrote:
Apologies if this is a repeat

https://www.bbc.co.uk/.../world-asia-52540733

New Zealand locking borders. Pretty solid bet 70.3 worlds cancelled. Shame as was gonna be my first time out.

Probably right!
But things can change, i think most countries are "eager" to get back to some form of international travel and bubbles can be extended to countries that have zero new cases for the specified 30 days or XX days. You slowly add countries...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It was supposed to be my first worlds as well. I cannot imagine New Zealand will allow anyone with a United States passport to come before we discover a vaccine. I have not even bothered looking for accommodations at this point because of the rhetoric we see coming from Jacinda Ardern.

Also, I believe Ardern is doing the right thing for her people.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Damn. But understandable. NZ is in the best position to fight this. At least we didn't buy tickets or get a hotel room yet.
Quote Reply
Re: New Zealand border [LifeTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
first World Champ also for me, too bad, but I will keep training.
I guess they will soon announce a new date, or maybe even a new place if NZ refuse to accept a Feb/March proposal by Ironman.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's great having qualified as well. Australia is already in talks to open borders with NZ so by November the event can run and we can just have the world champs between us with a depleted field. Maybe that should be in pink maybe it shouldn't ;)

I would be surprised anyone outside those countries will be able to fly in without quarantining 14 days first.

On another side note anyone that hadn't already booked accommodation be aware that unless you are prepared to pay a fortune for the last remaining shit hole in Taupo you will be staying some distance away with pre Covid bookings. Things may change now if it does go ahead.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was hoping to qualify in a race last weekend (obviously cancelled).
As a NZer and with their economy so heavily tourism dependant they are going to be in a for a rough ride if they have such a hard border shut down for so long. I actually think things will be more reasonable by November but the issues will be that many qualification spots will still be open; there are likely to be specific country restrictions on who can arrive in NZ and not need to be quarantined; there may be requirements to be tested prior to travel or to isolate on arrival etc etc.
My hope is that if they do cancel they just push back all locations for a year so Taupo does not miss out.
Quote Reply
Re: New Zealand border [Amnesia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It would be too bad if Taupo misses out, but if Taupo misses our because NZ stays sealed, then hopefully Ironman can come back in a few years. If Taupo misses our because Ironman decides they can't run enough races before hand even if NZ opens up on time, then that would really suck for Taupo. Either way if Taupo misses out, it sound like it won't be the choice of the locals. Its either going to Ardern or Messick causing the miss!
Quote Reply
Re: New Zealand border [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
It would be too bad if Taupo misses out, but if Taupo misses our because NZ stays sealed, then hopefully Ironman can come back in a few years. If Taupo misses our because Ironman decides they can't run enough races before hand even if NZ opens up on time, then that would really suck for Taupo. Either way if Taupo misses out, it sound like it won't be the choice of the locals. Its either going to Ardern or Messick causing the miss!

Definitely won't be the locals choice, it will be Ardern and Messick as you say.
So hard to know where things will be come November, this thing has escalated so quickly.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Amnesia wrote:
As a NZer and with their economy so heavily tourism dependant they are going to be in a for a rough ride if they have such a hard border shut down for so long. I actually think things will be more reasonable by November but the issues will be that many qualification spots will still be open; there are likely to be specific country restrictions on who can arrive in NZ and not need to be quarantined; there may be requirements to be tested prior to travel or to isolate on arrival etc etc.
My hope is that if they do cancel they just push back all locations for a year so Taupo does not miss out.

Luckily, I have already had COVID-19 and have a letter for the city stating that I am in the clear. Maybe they will let me and my wife in if she tests positive for the anti-bodies.

Ironman Lake Placid 2021| 70.3 Worlds St. George 2021
Quote Reply
Re: New Zealand border [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:
It's great having qualified as well. Australia is already in talks to open borders with NZ so by November the event can run and we can just have the world champs between us with a depleted field. Maybe that should be in pink maybe it shouldn't ;)

I would be surprised anyone outside those countries will be able to fly in without quarantining 14 days first.

On another side note anyone that hadn't already booked accommodation be aware that unless you are prepared to pay a fortune for the last remaining shit hole in Taupo you will be staying some distance away with pre Covid bookings. Things may change now if it does go ahead.

Shit hole = silver fern lodge? I booked there for 70.3 in March and when got there cancelled when we saw the room. It is ridiculously priced and basically like a back packers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Amnesia wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

Definitely won't be the locals choice, it will be Ardern and Messick as you say.
So hard to know where things will be come November, this thing has escalated so quickly.....

Judging by the general mood here in NZ, most nzers support the measures Ardern has put in place, including border restrictions. Unless Simon Bridges gets elected later this year, I can't see NZ opening their borders fully by the end of the year. Especially to places where the virus has run rampant.
Quote Reply
Re: New Zealand border [MatthewLigman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MatthewLigman wrote:
Amnesia wrote:

Luckily, I have already had COVID-19 and have a letter for the city stating that I am in the clear. Maybe they will let me and my wife in if she tests positive for the anti-bodies.
A Covid letter won't mean shit travelling internationally especially into NZ
Quote Reply
Re: New Zealand border [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
post deleted for lack of relevance!
Last edited by: rmt: May 8, 20 4:03
Quote Reply
Re: New Zealand border [rmt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's a longer discussion on this in terms of combined conversation on 140.6 and 70.3 WC delays in the 'CEO announcement' thead. https://forum.slowtwitch.com/.../?page=unread#unread

But observations / comments on above...

1) Not a cat in hells chance of borders being open by November. Refer to Our Lady of the Almighty Sincere Grin's statement. They are starting to plan for a border with Aus and the Pacific Islands (covid free) in the next 2 months. So that's starting July.
2) accommodation. Silver Fern wouldn't be my place of choice, but in NZ terms you kinda get used to that style of offering.
3) I know some people that live in Kinloch. They normally don't bother with the Air BnB as it's more hassle than it's worth, even for Ironman week. Then they got offered $4k for the week of 70.3WC and had already booked their trip to the Cook Islands... I also know of hotels in Rotorua (45min drive away) being full. Accommodation had gone mental for this, so it's a huge shame for the economy.
4) And this unfortunately is why shifting to a new date in Feb is a dubious proposition. Very close to Ironman in march, so to close the town for 2 weekends in a few weeks may test the patience of some locals not in the hospitality business. Also for the volunteers. And Taupo has a pretty packed programme of events most weekends. Be if Jazz, art, running, cycling, swimming, etc etc etc. It's kinda like a giant conference hotel. Tuesday everyone checks out then Wednesday a complete new strand of delegate arrives and takes over the town.
5) The game changer for this is if by October there is a 99.9% reliable test to allow screening pre boarding, on entry and proves someone isn't able to spread.
Quote Reply
Re: New Zealand border [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
“5) The game changer for this is if by October there is a 99.9% reliable test to allow screening pre boarding, on entry and proves someone isn't able to spread. “

That test already exists. It was developed in South Korea in mid January, and has been used successfully in South Korea, Germany and many other countries. The SK company making the test is already producing more than 3 million a week! The US, put it on the back burner with the FDA, as we were wrongly confident in the CDC developing a working test that could be massed produced. That clearly has not gone well, but it is only May and maybe someone will realize the thing we need most is already available and actually do something that makes sense :-) Perhaps the WTC could buy the test kits and give them to all qualified athletes??

Quote Reply
Re: New Zealand border [IntenseOne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IntenseOne wrote:
“5) The game changer for this is if by October there is a 99.9% reliable test to allow screening pre boarding, on entry and proves someone isn't able to spread. “

That test already exists. It was developed in South Korea in mid January, and has been used successfully in South Korea, Germany and many other countries. The SK company making the test is already producing more than 3 million a week! The US, put it on the back burner with the FDA, as we were wrongly confident in the CDC developing a working test that could be massed produced. That clearly has not gone well, but it is only May and maybe someone will realize the thing we need most is already available and actually do something that makes sense :-) Perhaps the WTC could buy the test kits and give them to all qualified athletes??

Not sure that the evidence is fully there to show the accuracy of the test, nor that someone is still not able to spread. But perhaps in a few months that medical evidence will be there.
Quote Reply
Re: New Zealand border [IntenseOne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IntenseOne wrote:

Unless there was concrete evidence and I imagine NZ would have a test on arrival and quarantine until proven negative if they allow it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm curious what Ironman would do if only part of the world could travel.

I'm just glad I bought insurance on the flight and picked a hotel with a generous cancellation policy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Amnesia wrote:

I agree with you. Nov is still such a long time away. My guess countries will open its borders to others where the virus has "disappeared", basically maybe 30 days of less than 5 new cases. No one wants to be closed forever? If the trans-tasman route opens and ANZ keeps new cases low, my guess they will start to think of next steps by Aug/Sept

No politicians will throw open their borders at this stage...
Quote Reply