Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Help my bike fit please! [shammad10] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that's significantly better.

i'm glad eric called me out on the canyon small vs xsmall topic, changing the armpad brackets is much, much easier than changing the bike!

the "shrug" that you are doing is very good and will - at first - only be sustainable for short periods of time (most likely). it is normal to only be constantly looking a few meters up the road, what most people do is they take occasional glances further up the road. i almost look "sideways" when i look far up the road. i don't really know how to articulate what i mean, but i'm basically saying my neck doesn't tilt far enough for me to look straight up, i kind of look up and tilt my head sideways. i'm not sure that will convey what i mean, but it's the best i got.

in training, you'll have to look up far more often than when you race, due to increased distractions. the BEST place to train head position and posture position CAN be on the trainer. especially with mirrors and/or video feedback.

interestingly - bjorn's point about the sternum is similar to what one should feel when swimming. this - when swimming - elevates your hips and legs for better body position.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yeah that's way better. You're good to start training.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One change to consider if it is comfortable/secure for you to do is to grip as low as you can with your hands. i.e. get them lower. What I have found is the higher you have your hands the higher your head will be as you have to sight over them. If you can manage to get them lower you will find a natural tendency to drop your head more. Sorry to nitpick as that posture is light years ahead of what you had, but we are the marginal crowd, right?

My YouTubes

Last edited by: LAI: May 8, 20 9:23
Quote Reply
Re: Help my bike fit please! [LAI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LAI wrote:
One change to consider if it is comfortable/secure for you to do is to grip as low as you can with your hands. i.e. get them lower. What I have found is the higher you have your hands the higher your head will be as you have to sight over them. If you can manage to get them lower you will find a natural tendency to drop your head more. Sorry to nitpick as that posture is light years ahead of what you had, but we are the marginal crowd, right?

that's weird... the higher I raise my hands the lower my hands go. Trying to get the target sights centered or something.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Help my bike fit please! [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
that's weird... the higher I raise my hands the lower my hands go. Trying to get the target sights centered or something.

Us little guys don't have quite the gap to bridge as our taller brethren. 😉

My YouTubes

Quote Reply
Re: Help my bike fit please! [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks guys for your help. It's been really helpful.

I'll keep plugging and see how it goes, I'm sure it'll start to feel easier as time goes.
I'll also experiment with the hand position and see what it does for me!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
the "shrug" that you are doing is very good and will - at first - only be sustainable for short periods of time (most likely). it is normal to only be constantly looking a few meters up the road, what most people do is they take occasional glances further up the road. i almost look "sideways" when i look far up the road. i don't really know how to articulate what i mean, but i'm basically saying my neck doesn't tilt far enough for me to look straight up, i kind of look up and tilt my head sideways. i'm not sure that will convey what i mean, but it's the best i got.

That's a damn good tip!

I caught myself doing just that this past Sunday while out for a ride. Head up peak for a long check, sideways glance for a quick check to make sure things still look the same as the "heads up", and finally the standard ~5-10m forward sightline head position for know quantities. The problem I have always had is when running ~FTP for a good bit and straining my eyes up through my brow is that most glances are a good bit blurry (not sure that's the best descriptor). Do you notice any similar issues?

My YouTubes

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, great job, massive improvement!
Quote Reply
Re: Help my bike fit please! [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi guys,

Just an update, I managed to find an awesome deal on a new SLX - I got my bike fitter to fit me again, and he thought I'd be fine on it (size small). So I went for it. The difference between the two bikes is unbelievable, like night and day.

I managed to get this video riding the new bike, wondered what you thought. There's still some ability to go lower at the front if needed, and forward or back.
I now have 155mm cranks on this bike.

-Do you think I'm sitting on the saddle properly? I've been trying to roll the hips as people have mentioned.
- I've been working hard on the 'turtle', do you think there is more I should be doing?
- Saddle height?
- Do I look too bunched up?

Many thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you have access to a trainer where a video could be shot from the side?
Quote Reply
Re: Help my bike fit please! [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah I do, I can upload one of those. I just thought some 'real world' footage would be better! But yeah I can do a video on the trainer if you think that would help?
Quote Reply
Re: Help my bike fit please! [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's a video from side on. Sorry for the slow start, I couldn't edit it!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
position is great, if you can look down the road often enough, for the duration of the ride.

for LAI, and this discussion of hand height, it works like this: the fulcrum around which the aerobar rotates is its attachment point to whatever it is that allows the rotation of the aerobar. whatever the bar rotates about - usually the centerline of the pursuit bar - is the fulcrum. whatever is in front of that fulcrum goes up. whatever is behind that fulcrum goes down. usually, the fulcrum bisects the forearm (half the forearm is in front of that fulcrum; half the forearm is behind it).

therefore, when you rotate the hands up, on most mechanisms that means you're rotating the elbows down. if the fulcrum is two thirds of the way back toward the elbow from the hands, if you raise your hands 6cm you lower your elbows 3cm.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Help my bike fit please! [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cheers Dan! Yeah it's getting easier and easier with practice to maintain the position and to sight quite regularly and see up the road.
Quote Reply
Re: Help my bike fit please! [LAI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LAI wrote:
jkhayc wrote:

That's a damn good tip!

I caught myself doing just that this past Sunday while out for a ride. Head up peak for a long check, sideways glance for a quick check to make sure things still look the same as the "heads up", and finally the standard ~5-10m forward sightline head position for know quantities. The problem I have always had is when running ~FTP for a good bit and straining my eyes up through my brow is that most glances are a good bit blurry (not sure that's the best descriptor). Do you notice any similar issues?

Sorry I somehow just noticed this reply, don't remember getting an email for it.

Quote:
he problem I have always had is when running ~FTP for a good bit and straining my eyes up through my brow is that most glances are a good bit blurry (not sure that's the best descriptor). Do you notice any similar issues?

"Luckily" I don't run at FTP for longer periods very much as a tri-geek, but when I did 10mi TTs and occasional 40-45k TTs I definitely had pretty noticeable eye fatigue. I have read that some people can experience temporary blindness? Can't remember who posted that, but it's been mentioned on the forums before. Maybe it wasn't blindness, but extreme eye/brow fatigue after a REALLY hard effort or a longer, HARD effort.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I've had days when my eyes hurt from rolling them back in my head for so long - weird sport we're in. I also dislike dappled sunlight when my eyes and neck get tired and I'm forced to stare at a spot 20 feet in front of me. Cloud cover and diffused light is easier.

"They know f_ck-all over at Slowtwitch"
- Lionel Sanders
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is it good to move the head up and down like that?
Quote Reply
Re: Help my bike fit please! [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well I tend to do it out on the road. I'm looking only about 10metres ahead of me then just look up to sight further down the road every few seconds.
Quote Reply
Re: Help my bike fit please! [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Typical Time Trial move/tactic, but can be deadly out on the road. Not trying to hyperbole anything and I'd be lying if I said don't do it myself. We like to think that we know best, but there has been cases of folks (who thought the same) running into parked vehicles. Reasons for doing it? More aero and giving your neck/eyes a break. Keeping a low head and seeing up the road a fair ways is extremely taxing for me on my neck and as noted above my eyes.

MrTri123 wrote:
Is it good to move the head up and down like that?

My YouTubes

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I appreciate the reply even if it did seem to come out of nowhere. Good to know that it's not something unique to me or something I am doing wrong.

Yeah, I definitely experience blurriness/fatigue in my eyes when crushing it if I try to hold my head in any position where I can see up the road a good ways. And you know I train my position a lot. I guess it's just one of those things one has to deal with.

My YouTubes

Quote Reply

Prev Next