Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Idea for 2020 Ironman Races - KQ/Swim, Non-KQ/No Swim
Quote | Reply
Before anyone says it, yeah, I know, races not likely to happen.

BUT... in U.S. if there are some GOP Governors who throw open their states... who knows?

Here's an idea, because, well that's what I think Slowtwitch is good at:

Just like wetsuit/non-wetsuit KQ... this year, do Swim / No Swim
  • Reduce crowding
  • Space the field dramatically
  • Minimize risk for all the non-swim training happening - which has to be weighing on IMs mind.

This is half-baked, but here goes:

If you want to go No Swim, you start at 7am. Send them off TT on bike Seed fastest people first.
If you want to go KQ race, you start at 12 noon. That's right.

Thinking about it...

With No Swim, the "masses" aren't as gassed, due to no swim, so most finish bike within 5:30 - 7:30 hrs, likely? Space them apart at start... field gets strung out quickly. Minimizes crowds in "T2". Also eliminates T1 for ton of people. Say these folks then run between 5-7 hrs for marathon... that means they're finishing between 5pm to 9ishpm.

Then KQers... send off swim TT style, with time gaps (adjust actual start time so all people on course by 12 noon). It spaces out T1 (most are Dev-like transitioners..so not a lot of crowding). Swim around 1-1:20. So in T1 at 1-1:30pm Then they're on bike for 5-6ish hours. So roll into T2 at 6 to 7ish pm. Then they're running... fastest folks, 3 hr marathon... JUST almost catching the last of Non Swim folks at 9pm. And thinking, you give KQ wave a 12 hour cut-off (to help self-selection in wave...you don't think you can hit 12, better go Non Swim). Midnight is end of the race, period.

If time this all correctly, you really minimize amount of exposure in transitions... and you time it so waves never really catch up with others. Even though at some point in evening, people on run courses... still spaced out.

And maybe even a bit of benefit for fastest folks... run is in evening... while sun may not be totally down, not beating down like it does in heat of day.

Volunteers face far less crowding during day... and timing of race is still 7am - 12 Midnight... so not asking anything untoward.

And, if people aren't down for either... they can just defer to regular race in 2021. Thins crowd even more.

Of course, I'm sure a ton of holes could drive through this... but well, an idea.
Last edited by: Dan Funk: May 5, 20 12:55
Quote Reply
Re: Idea for 2020 Ironman Races - KQ/Swim, Non-KQ/No Swim [Dan Funk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You have some really good ideas there, though yeah, there are a few holes.

I can think of several smaller local races that have tri- vs duathlon options, and under the circumstances, that might be the best option for Ironmans to happen with social distancing.

One group that would be disadvantaged by the above scenario is the older KQ folks, in the 70+ and even 60+ age groups. Though you could start them at 7am, while starting the non-swimmers on the bike. If you had some waves of younger KQ groups starting as late as noon, I think it could definitely bring swim-congestion down to an acceptable level...

Cheers,
Ginger

https://www.instagram.com/gingerhowellracing/
If you find yourself thinking "What if I can't", instead think "What if I can!"
Quote Reply