Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How accurate is your Runn sensor?
Quote | Reply
I installed a Runn sensor on our treadmill to enable using it with Zwift Run and to allow participation in Ironman VR while the weather prevented outdoor runs. I’m using 4 reflective stickers evenly spaced and the sensor is 0.25 inches from the surface. I’ve calibrated it to 5mph per the instructions. Yet the results collected during a run are off by a significant amount. I notice that the detected speed fluctuates a lot when just operating the treadmill alone with no runner. Is your Runn sensor accurate?
Quote Reply
Re: How accurate is your Runn sensor? [Troutd0g] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Troutd0g wrote:
I installed a Runn sensor on our treadmill to enable using it with Zwift Run and to allow participation in Ironman VR while the weather prevented outdoor runs. I’m using 4 reflective stickers evenly spaced and the sensor is 0.25 inches from the surface. I’ve calibrated it to 5mph per the instructions. Yet the results collected during a run are off by a significant amount. I notice that the detected speed fluctuates a lot when just operating the treadmill alone with no runner. Is your Runn sensor accurate?

Why would you "calibrate it"? Unless you used an alternate source of known accuracy, calibrating it to the treadmill is just a way to make it read wrong. You'd have better luck calibrating the TM to the Runn.

Have you read this article?

https://www.slowtwitch.com/...ift_Sensor_7614.html

for the record, I don't own a Runn. I've been following with interest, and almost pulled the trigger when I was stuck indoors. But, its less urgent now that I can run outside...thus, I've never quite clicked add-to-cart.

For the speed fluctuations with no one on the belt....I'd question the TM first. the Runn sensor is likely telling you the truth, and your TM IS actually changing speeds. Do you have a good belt (is it lubed, assuming its a lubed style belt)? How's the motor (or motor controller)? etc....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mine is weirdly accurate. Slapped a number of the stickers on without measuring a thing and it was good out of the box. Even after my 2 year periodically removes a couple stickers it’s good regardless if I’m on it or not.

Adam Feigh
Pianko Law, Speed Hound, Castelli, Sailfish, Base
Feighathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mine is about 3-5s slower per mile than the treadmill's claimed speed. That's good enough for me. I used 10 stickers and never calibrated it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use mine on a woodway and it seems very accurate. Consistently reads between 0.0-0.1mph faster than the speed displayed on the woodway.

-------
Anders
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mine is about 10 seconds faster than what the treadmill is, which is in line with what my Stryd indicates. I have noticed that when I am off the treadmill (IE Feet on the side rails) for recovery between intevals, but speed (according to the RUNN) increases by about 15-20 seconds. To me, that doesn't bother me one bit, as it is close enough for me.

IG: NCGregory8778
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had issues with fluctuating speed but solved that by adjusting the Runn up/down on the bracket.

Nanoo Nanoo
Quote Reply
Re: How accurate is your Runn sensor? [jazzymusicman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why would you calibrate the Runn. Do you have reason to believe your treadmill is more accurate? My treadmill reads between 0.3-0.5 kph slower than the Runn depending on speed. My assumption is that the Runn is reporting the more accurate speed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mine is pretty bang on with my treadmill... yes, I find it tends to fluctuate by +/- .2km/h depending on whether I am on it or, on the side rails, which makes sense, since our mill is only a 3CHP motor, so the slowing on foot contact is not too bad, but you can see it... (if I lengthen my stride and lower my cadence, at the same treadmill speed, my speed in Zwift will go up by .1km/h because there's fewer foot contacts to decelerate the belt).

I did do a calibration out of the box, since before that the Runn was registering my speed as double what it actually was and having speed drops (I didn't measure out the stickers at first, now I have 3 pretty evenly spaced stickers and it works fine, and there are no dropouts either).

Mine wasn't registering my cadence until I installed the new firmware update, and now that works fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good question about whether calibration should be done with the Runn sensor. In my case the reason for calibrating is to reduce the measurement drift between the Runn sensor and the treadmill. For VR events where an app like Zwift will be used, a calibration isn't needed - or even wanted - i agree with you. When training based on heart rate, perceived effort and time - which is what we're using our treadmill for 90% of the time - we (wife and I) prefer to use the gauges on the treadmill and not have to fire up an app on an ipad/phone/laptop. For these use cases it is desirable to have the resulting workout that gets uploaded to GarminConnect match (within a reasonable margin) what we thought we did in terms of miles and pace. The alternative is to always use an app that reads the Runn sensor for displaying pace and distance. Let's assume we do that. What i've observed is that the displayed speed bounces as much as +/1 1 mph.

I will try lowering the sensor - that may increase the accuracy and eliminate some false sensor triggers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hope you can get your unit setup. It's just so nice compared to a footpod except the footpod did have more accurate cadence.

Another thing that might help is updating the firmware. More info at the below link. Please note that some people have had issues with their units not reporting any speed after updating the firmware. Let's hope this isn't an issue for you. The speed sensor is optical so lighting could be a factor with fluctuating speed readings.

https://npe-inc.zendesk.com/...te-my-Runn-firmware-

NPE has a very basic app that shows speed, distance, grade, and time. This is very useful when leveling the unit. This also gives you an alternative to having to fire up Zwift.

https://npe-inc.com/...r-app-now-available/

Here's a general faq.

https://npe-inc.zendesk.com/...0037484811-Runn-FAQs

I have my watch connected to the Runn so it uploads to Garmin Connect for the fitness metrics. I have Zwift connected to Strava. I then manually input the elevation gain from Strava into Garmin. Side note, the elevation on Zwift looks to be doubled and is difficult to read/calculate. It also doesn't record elevation loss so you will have to memorize what you did.

Nanoo Nanoo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Troutd0g wrote:
When training based on heart rate, perceived effort and time - which is what we're using our treadmill for 90% of the time - we (wife and I) prefer to use the gauges on the treadmill and not have to fire up an app on an ipad/phone/laptop. For these use cases it is desirable to have the resulting workout that gets uploaded to GarminConnect match (within a reasonable margin) what we thought we did in terms of miles and pace. The alternative is to always use an app that reads the Runn sensor for displaying pace and distance. Let's assume we do that. What i've observed is that the displayed speed bounces as much as +/1 1 mph.

I will try lowering the sensor - that may increase the accuracy and eliminate some false sensor triggers.

Wait...how does your workout get uploaded to Garmin? I think that means you probably have a watch on your wrist.

Does the speed fluctuate when you are NOT on the treadmill, or only when you are actively run/walking?
Quote Reply
Re: How accurate is your Runn sensor? [-W-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello, so you may be of any help? I am stuck as I do noy know what to buy for running indoor on my treadmill.
Zwift pod looks cheap, but maybe inaccurate?
The plus of the Runn is that is stays always there, but it maybe also his weakness (kids going on the TM). Besides I like that it "talks" to my Garmin Fenix watch.
Third option would be Stryd, but it is pricey and for triathlon training I do not how useful it would be to train with power.

So, what should I buy?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Troutd0g wrote:

on what basis do you assume your RUNN is off?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: How accurate is your Runn sensor? [PaulGico] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PaulGico wrote:
The plus of the Runn is that is stays always there, but it maybe also his weakness (kids going on the TM). Besides I like that it "talks" to my Garmin Fenix watch.

You could always attach it to the treadmill with velcro instead of the sticky pads and then attach it when you go run
Quote Reply
Re: How accurate is your Runn sensor? [PaulGico] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PaulGico wrote:
Hello, so you may be of any help? I am stuck as I do noy know what to buy for running indoor on my treadmill.
Zwift pod looks cheap, but maybe inaccurate?
Third option would be Stryd, but it is pricey and for triathlon training I do not how useful it would be to train with power.

So, what should I buy?

I am very happy with the Runn and that is what I recommend.

I have a Zwift pod and a Milestone pod. They work great for some people but not for me. I had constant issues with both of them either trying to get them to show pace at the start of a run or for them to stay connected. After calibration in Zwift, they read too fast for faster paces and too slow for slower paces and at times seemed like a random number generator. It was comical.

I also have a Garmin foot pod paired with a NPE Cable device to broadcast bluetooth. The Garmin foot pod was bizarrely accurate for me in total distance for steady runs, like within 0.15%. I kid you not. I hear that it's fairly accurate but not that accurate. Of course there are people who find it not very accurate at all. The problem I had with this setup was the occasional difficulty getting Zwift to connect and the quick battery drain of the Cable device after a recent firmware update so I had to pop open the cover after every run and that got old.

I don't have a Stryd. I was turned off by a common issue people have with Stryd reading low compared to their treadmill and the response that Stryd is right because, well, Stryd says so. I downloaded a free Garmin IQ app called Running Power Estimator if I want to run by power but I'm used to running by RPE and heart rate drift.

Nanoo Nanoo
Quote Reply