Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New wheels-low budget
Quote | Reply
Hi everyone,
Just another topic about wheels choice if someone could help…
I've got the basic giant wheels (pa2 aero wheels) wich where delivered with the bike (propel Advanced 1). Bearings of my rear Wheel are dead and I think it is a good Opportunity to upgrade, but I don't have too much budget.

I've got two choices: the campagnolo zonda, wich seems a good value for money, or the vision Trimax Carbon 45 (I have an offer, for the same price as the campagnolo zonda. Alloy Wheel with carbon rim).

I ride 3-4 times/Week, and live in the french Alps (typical long week end ride is 100-150k with +2000m). I race some triathlons (CD and Half, IM project for next season, top 10% in most races on the bike, 4-5 races/year).

The visions look really great, but I dont find a lot of informations about them and they are heavier. I don't know if they will really be more "aero" than the zonda. I Don't have the money to buy 2 wheelset, but I can change the bearings of my giant PA2 wheels and keep them as training wheels.

Does someones could help me for this final choice ?

THank you and sorry for my English.

Ivan
Quote Reply
Re: New wheels-low budget [ivan2794] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I say Vision.

The extra weight of the vision wheels will cost you at most 2 watts.

The aerodynamic benefit will be up to 20 watts (and almost always more than 2)

Also: Your aero bike is going to look much better with deeper wheels!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Used.

Check the Slowtwitch classifieds, My Bike Shop and other websites. You can pick up hardly used race wheels at a great prices.

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Re: New wheels-low budget [fb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the answer ! so, 45mm rims is enough to have aero benefits, even if it is an alloy Wheel with carbon rim. Thanks a lot, I think I'll go for it
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ivan2794 wrote:
Thanks for the answer ! so, 45mm rims is enough to have aero benefits
Yes.

Actually, there are more aero benefits available when comparing between rims of relatively low depths than high depths. For instance, riders will usually see much more aero gain between a 15mm box-section rim and a modern 45mm rim than between that 45mm rim and a modern 90mm rim. This is because of diminishing returns: the aerodynamics of that super-shallow box-section rim are very poor, while a modern 45mm wheel is already pretty good and has less room for improvement.

Quote:
even if it is an alloy Wheel with carbon rim
The shape of a wheel determines the aerodynamics, not the material. If you were to build an aluminum rim with the exact same outer profile as a Zipp 808, its aerodynamic performance would be essentially identical to a Zipp 808. (It would merely be very heavy.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why only 2 choices? What’s your budget?
Quote Reply
Re: New wheels-low budget [HTupolev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HTupolev wrote:
The shape of a wheel determines the aerodynamics, not the material. If you were to build an aluminum rim with the exact same outer profile as a Zipp 808, its aerodynamic performance would be essentially identical to a Zipp 808. (It would merely be very heavy.)

Why would it be heavy?

Zipp 808: 82mm deep and weighs 1830g
Het Jet 9: 90mm deep and weighs 1890g

Also, some of the lightest wheelsets out there are aluminum with carbon fairing. For example, 80mm Citec wheels weigh 1495-1595 grams for the set, depending on the model.
Quote Reply
Re: New wheels-low budget [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
Why would it be heavy?

Zipp 808: 82mm deep and weighs 1830g
Het Jet 9: 90mm deep and weighs 1890g

Also, some of the lightest wheelsets out there are aluminum with carbon fairing. For example, 80mm Citec wheels weigh 1495-1595 grams for the set, depending on the model.
I meant if you hypothetically made such a rim entirely out of aluminum, not a rim with a carbon fairing.
Quote Reply
Re: New wheels-low budget [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
THanks for all the answers.

Last thing before ordrering…Won't the zondas have any aero benefits ?
I know aero is important, but quality of the freehub, bearings etc is also important. And I found a lot more positive reviews on the zonda quality than on the Vision Trimax. Few people talk about them.

(I just gave those two choices, because I already did a pre selection and I didn't wanted to hesitate much more between 10 choices and open a topic like many of the others "what are the best wheels for 400E").
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a pair of Zondas, and they have been good to me. No issues whatsoever. I can't say anything about the Visions because I haven't owned them. 1 of the wheel sets I've been looking at is the HD Jet 4s. Before pulling the trigger look at those too. Competitively weighted and priced, and they seem pretty fast. I've just started researching the hubs and spokes for any issues, but they seem like a pretty good all-purpose wheel. I checked some of the Flo wheels also, which look like a good buy too if you get lucky on ordering when they become available.

The more people I encounter the more I love my cats.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Both the Zonda's and the Vision's are good wheels, but not so much better than the stock Giant wheelset, which is already nicely "aero" (deep-ish "U-shaped" rim, low spoke count, flat spokes, tubeless ready), though a bit heavy. My suggestion is to replace the wheelset bearings and stick with them, until you can afford something actually better. If you feel like upgrading something, buy the Conti GP5000 tubeless (unless you already have them)
Quote Reply
Re: New wheels-low budget [jollyroger88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have 3 pairs of Zondas on different road bikes. They are the best value highest quality training wheels you can find. They are very light and durable. I buy them from Wiggle.
Quote Reply
Re: New wheels-low budget [jollyroger88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jollyroger88 wrote:
Both the Zonda's and the Vision's are good wheels, but not so much better than the stock Giant wheelset, which is already nicely "aero" (deep-ish "U-shaped" rim, low spoke count, flat spokes, tubeless ready), though a bit heavy. My suggestion is to replace the wheelset bearings and stick with them, until you can afford something actually better. If you feel like upgrading something, buy the Conti GP5000 tubeless (unless you already have them)

I agree. If you were in a situation where you needed to replace the wheels on your Propel, and those were the only two choices, I'd be inclined to suggest the Visions. The Zondas don't really match the mission of the bike, and are likely a step backwards, aero-wise, from the stock wheels. That said, neither set seems enough of an upgrade to justify parking an easily salvageable set of PA2's. Buy some new bearings, keep saving until you can buy something that's a more significant upgrade. I'd suggest a set of HED Jet 4s, or maybe a HED Jet 6/4 combo.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aliexpress wheels have been great for me. I got the Zipp 808 replicas for 700 bucks with DT240 hubs which have been fantastic.
Quote Reply
Re: New wheels-low budget [vanchize] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Everybody seems to agree that the zonda have not got any aero advantage and that aero is more important than weight, included in the hills.

I think I'll go with the vision, and change the bearings of the giant pa2 to have a winter wheelset. Maybe is it not such an upgrade, but it gives me some motivation to ride after this hard time we are having!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ivan2794 wrote:
I've got two choices: the campagnolo zonda, wich seems a good value for money, or the vision Trimax Carbon 45 (I have an offer, for the same price as the campagnolo zonda. Alloy Wheel with carbon rim).

About the only mid-priced aero wheels I would consider are HEDs - at or ntear the top of most aero tests and very good value.

But if you are looking for hilly rides and want something light - consider Lightbicycle. Chinese company, but not a generic Ali seller. They have a fairly good rep & good customer service - ie, a legit company, not an anonymous online seller.
The rims seems pretty modern in profile - maybe the Enve/Zipp/HEDs are a wee bit faster, but ~1500gm mid-depth wheels for well under $1k is pretty hard to beat.

Plenty of satisfied users out there (not just me). You can play around with options on their website.

--
Those who are slower than me suck.
Those who are faster than me dope
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since you get to ride in the Alps, none of these questions matter. What you are riding never matters half as much as where you are riding and on my three occasions to ride in the Alps it was the greatest cycling of my life. :)
Quote Reply
Re: New wheels-low budget [cdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup, you're right but it's so easy to forget how Lucky we are ..
I finally went for the Vision Trimax carbon 45 at a good price (360E, 10 less than the zonda). Here in France we will be allowed to go out to ride next week. So I hope I'll receive the wheels soon, the propel will certainly look awesome with them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can recommend Prime Wheels. I and three of my friends are riding Prime RR50-v2 and they work great for us. Stiff and light enough. I think the price is around 500 dollars for a pair. I dont know if wiggle or Chainreaction ships to the US.
Quote Reply
Re: New wheels-low budget [superdea] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vision trimax carbon 45 received ! Not very light but still 500gr lighter than the giant stockwheels. I put Michelin power competition tyres, never tested this tyre.
I ll post feelings after riding (not before monday...thanks containement), but the wheelset seems of really good quality.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Latex tubes would help.
Quote Reply