Re: Selecting a mountain bike [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Arch Stanton wrote:
jhammond wrote:
Quotes from Specialized's own website:

"The new Stumpjumper is the ultimate trail bike"

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/stumpjumper

I would not classify 150mm of travel as a trail bike. This looks like the disturbing trend of XC/trail and trail bikes being turned into enduro bikes.

For example, the evolution of the Tallboy from gen 2 to gen 3 to gen 4 is pretty sad.

that extra inch of travel is not what distinguishes a trail bike from an enduro. As for XC bikes becoming more similar to trail, that's a function of how technical the courses are now. They aren't the old NORBA fire road courses anymore.

I hear this logic a lot, and I agree with it on the WC level, but does this really apply to us amateurs? I don't know about you, but the courses for my local races (Colorado) haven't changed much in years and the old bikes are just as good as the new bikes for tackling that terrain (although they way more fun when exploring new trails)
Quote Reply
Re: Selecting a mountain bike [TurtleMan77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You were right to avoid the Canyon and that shop.
When I bought my Turner, Dave Turner told me they have a 2 year warranty because they know how we ride.
Quote Reply
Re: Selecting a mountain bike [Bumble Bee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just closing the loop... For background, in May I inquired about how to pick a mountain bike. After some hemming and hawing, I decided to buy a Guerrilla Gravity “Trail Pistol”. I picked this manufacturer because their frames have a lifetime warranty and the frame is suitable for heavier riders. It arrived this evening and I was able to take it for a short trail ride. I really couldn’t be happier. The manufacturer was easy to work with, the assembly was straight forward, I like the look of the bike, and my son thinks the dropper post is the coolest thing he has ever seen. It needs a little fine tuning to optimize the fit and suspension, but nothing major. Hopefully, I can take it for a more serious ride tomorrow after work.

Thanks again for the advise.

Dave
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tried to attach a picture in my previous post, but it didn't take. So, I am trying again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have fun!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nice looking bike, solid choice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good choice and sweet looking bike! Have fun!
Quote Reply
Re: Selecting a mountain bike [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GG's are SOLID! Excellent choice and have fun!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TurtleMan77 wrote:
Who buys a mountain bike to ride it carefully?

I think we would be friends. Enjoy your new ride!
Quote Reply

Prev Next