Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Signed up for a 1000k running event
Quote | Reply
The amazing Laz of Barkeley Marathons fame has a race across TN, but this year it is virtual and I like to support this man. It starts May 1 and ends the last day of August, and you decide the pace and how you do it.
A shitload of folks have signed up for it and this might turn out to be a cluster, but I did not mind spending $60 here, plus donated another $25 as he is raising money for Feed America/ TN. He already has almost $30,000 raised.

https://runsignup.com/...AcrossTennessee1000K

See some of you maybe virtually traversing TN.
Quote Reply
Re: Signed up for a 1000k running event [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Event starts tomorrow, and as of now 7500 folks registered which adds up to about $450,000 and donations more than $50,000
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where is the link and how many days do we have to do it? I covered >1125km so far this year, so as it stands I am on pace for a >3300km year. If I can't get to a pool all summer, I'll just probably keep running a lot (for me). If I get to a pool I would have 8 months to do 1000km so it should be doable depending on the days we get.

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: Signed up for a 1000k running event [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Link above
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK went to the link...I love this:

OK. Now for the important question;
Sure, you are self reporting, and we are not requiring "proof", but what miles (or kilometers) should count?
This should only be the distances you cover when you actually go out to run (or walk... I will be walking all of mine)... and yes, treadmill miles will count as well... and no, ellipticals do not count. I know some people go thru the day bristling with more electronic devices than a spy plane, counting up every step they take from getting out of bed to retiring for the night... along with a few steps for driving across railroad tracks, jiggling their leg while watching TV, or any other activity that causes one of their devices to register movement. Those are not really fair..... What should be added to the daily tally are only the miles you cover while actually doing your daily walk or run, on purpose to cover some ground.
Please; no perry mason loophole searching.... You know the intent of the rule, and that is the rule.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He is an amazing person. Watch the documentary
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is a preview to the documentary

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=28UzhF3uvME
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It started with “I have a stupid idea...”
They figured 50 people were needed to break even.
They planned for 200.

As of this morning there are over 11,000 people entered and over $62,000 donated.

This is both amazing and totally awesome!
Quote Reply
Re: Signed up for a 1000k running event [Ijustrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Because they are loved and not greedy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in...should be fun
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm friggin in on this shit! Hot damn.

Take that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
600 miles over 4 months. That's about 35 miles a week. Easily doable.
Quote Reply
Re: Signed up for a 1000k running event [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ran 1100 miles the first 4 months of this year. So yes it is doable for certain people but easily depends on the person. And many folks are trying to do it fast, while others will attempt an out and back.

People have 17 hours to do an Ironman that is also easily doable for some :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you want a good jump on this 1000k challenge, check out the Yeti 24 hour challenge. 5 miles every 4 hours for 24 hours. Totally doable and a different way to tackle 30 miles over the weekend or weekday!

More info can be found on ultra sign up: https://ultrasignup.com/register.aspx?did=76840
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Heads up for those planning to cut this one close. The actual race distance is 1021.68 km, not 1000 km.
Quote Reply
Re: Signed up for a 1000k running event [sathomasga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am now 83.1 miles in and that is 142nd place. Top 100 spot is 6 miles ahead, and dropping outside the top 200 is about 6 minutes behind. While top 300 is about 12 miles behind.

16,199 folks have started the journey and 17,739 were registered.

That is $1,064,340 in entry fees
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's awesome!

I'm buried somewhere in the 7000s. Not bad for a recent heart surgery patient, I suppose. 5000th place is 6 miles in front of me...about where I'd be if I didn't take a ZERO on Sunday. Of course, I'd like to be higher by the end of this thing. It's early days, but 2000th place is on a 9mpd (63 mpw) pace. I was approaching that before things went bad. My stated intent in the 100/100 was to exceed 60mpw by the end of the thing.

It looks like a lot of people went out hard "at the gun". Dunno if that will be an anomaly, and people will settle into a more even day-2-day pace...or, if they will continue to have big ultra-days on a weekly basis (within the 2000-7000 place range).

So, that seems like a reasonable goal.
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: May 6, 20 7:12
Quote Reply
Re: Signed up for a 1000k running event [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm around 50 mi in and finally out of Memphis..gonna be a long few months.

Folks up front are crazy. Proctor runs 100k a day..how in the hell....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks again for posting this!

I finished the Race Back Across Tennessee, yesterday, in 115 days. It took 81 days to complete the RAT, and 34 days to make the return trip.

I did several things I've never done before, and its exactly what I needed to restart after a rather rocky first few months of the year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is awesome. I ended up doing the out in 37 days and the return trip in 54 days - 91 days total.

Initially was just going to do the one way but ran so much so I decided why not. But took it well easier on the return trip
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
Thanks again for posting this!

I finished the Race Back Across Tennessee, yesterday, in 115 days. It took 81 days to complete the RAT, and 34 days to make the return trip.

I did several things I've never done before, and its exactly what I needed to restart after a rather rocky first few months of the year.

All that after Bypass!!!
Quote Reply