Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Training suggestions after unexpected fitness
Quote | Reply
I had a pretty good winter and tested my FTP at 290 at 180 lbs. I wanted a little higher but wasn't shocked. I did the tour of sufferlandria and then came down with a bug and was at 60-70% for about two and a half weeks. I kept on riding but it was a slog. About four weeks ago I started feeling better and surprisingly strong. Last week I retested my FTP at 311, did a one hour run that was 45 seconds faster/mile (I was a runner in college) than I had done a few weeks before at the same HR, and did a couple sufferefest workouts - Team Scream and The Hunted - that I normally struggle to finish. I'm really fit right now! However, with the change in races schedule my A Race is going to be September. Do I back off the intensity now, rebuild my base and start a 12 week build in June? Do I push through for a couple more weeks, back off for three weeks and then start? I don't want to peak too early and burn out. I feel really good and my load is manageable. Do I back off and try to lose some weight - race weight is about five pounds lower. I turn 40 this year so I'm trying to capitalize while I can. Thoughts or guidance appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: Training suggestions after unexpected fitness [mkng1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I'm in the same boat as in I just turned 40 and the Rona is messing with race plans. I have a HM that is in a month that has not been cancelled yet, so I am still aiming for it. If it gets cancelled last minute I am planning on running solo time trial of same distance on a section of bike path near home.

In general I am going to treat the summer race season the same in terms of volume and intensity (run centric) and try to knock off a few Stava KOMs or link up some cool long trail runs I have never done. Gotta get creative and find reason to stay focused.
Quote Reply
Re: Training suggestions after unexpected fitness [mkng1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Compete in a virtual race! At 2PEAK we have a handful of virtual races that are free and open to everyone. This will keep your fitness level high and motivation up.

Keep training,
2PEAK.com
Quote Reply