Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Best state for triathletes and cyclist [Converge418] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you work from home / can you work from anywhere? To throw a couple out there...

I just moved from Atlanta, which has an awesome tri community. Several great local tri groups put on a bunch of shorter races and several longer IM races in driving distance. Also one of the better tri shops there.

I just moved to the DFW area in TX. Hard to gauge given Coronavirus quarantines, but love the weather and terrain.

FWIW, I'm more on the progressive side of things (previously lived in the Bay Area). Any large city tends to be progressive or balanced in my experience.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't forget the roads are crap in South Carolina. But Greenville is a nice area to ride. That area seems more welcoming to cyclists than Charleston or Columbia.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Converge418 wrote:
FishOutofWater wrote:
How does the Greenville area compare to the rest of SC? I live just outside of Boston, but (pre-lockdown days) spend 2 weeks a month in Columbia. Can't say I'm super impressed with the riding and running around there. Even well outside the city far more aggressive drivers than MA, roads and terrain are nothing special, and not a lot of other people on bikes around.

This should help...
Columbia = Worcester
Greenville = a bigger version of Amherst

Very clear lol.

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Converge418 wrote:
We moved to Charlotte 4 years ago from Portsmouth NH and I’m really happy. Cold is relative, but I don’t consider it cold here at all.

Strong tri culture and some really great group rides. (All levels). I’m 2 miles from the center of the city, but can sneak out to the “farmland” easily for long rides. Also some great running groups and running stores that are extremely supportive to the locals.

The summer is HOT and HUMID, so still adjusting, but pays off come race day.

What it will be like post covid is hard to judge obviously, but if you’re into food CLT has gotten a lot better over the last 2 years. 4 years ago, it was pretty challenged.

Airport is killer compared to Logan, but house prices in the popular neighborhood aren’t as reasonable as you’d think they’d be coming from Boston area.

There the white water center is nearby and Asheville, charleston, Greenville are all drive able.

The biggest challenge for me is the ocean being 3 hours away. I lived a mile from it in nh and even though it was ice water, I miss it immensely.

conversely, i moved away from charlotte almost 4 years ago and i could not stand the road riding anymore. felt perpetually unsafe, even on group rides. compared to AZ where we currently live, CLT is so bad in comparison when it comes to outdoor riding options. but it's all relative. the mountain biking in and around charlotte is fantastic, and some of the best riding in the country is 2hrs away (western NC) or 4 (northern georgia) at the most.

the problem for me with CLT was that i had been there since '07, and the extreme development that has occurred since then has really killed a lot of what had been the most popular loops (airport loop, spencer/cramer, etc).

but we will probably live there again at some point, i will just mostly indoor ride and mountain bike, which is what i did in the year or two before we left.
Quote Reply
Re: Best state for triathletes and cyclist [Jloewe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I moved to San Diego from NYC in 2007. It was the BEST move I've ever made. As others have mentioned SoCal is expensive, but generally anywhere worth living is. If you hate the cold its hard to beat. We also love the snow/mountains-just not living in a cold weather climate for half the year-the Sierra are 5-6 hrs away. Hard to beat with the Pacific at the end of the street!
Quote Reply
Re: Best state for triathletes and cyclist [tailgunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tailgunner wrote:
...SoCal is expensive, but generally anywhere worth living is.

I guess that depends on what you value? If you want a good climate and roads where drivers aren't trying to kill you, that can definitely be affordable. All the places I mentioned are cheap, but they aren't big metro areas.

EDIT: Doh... that was another thread!

Listed with Jan/July average high temps. Median home prices range from $130k to $205k.

Sierra Vista, AZ 61/92
Bisbee, AZ 57/89
Silver City, NM 52/89
Ruidoso, NM 49/82
Trinidad, CO 48/87

If you don't mind hotter temperatures and desert there are a lot more options.
Last edited by: rruff: Apr 28, 20 9:51
Quote Reply
Re: Best state for triathletes and cyclist [tailgunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tailgunner wrote:
I moved to San Diego from NYC in 2007. It was the BEST move I've ever made. As others have mentioned SoCal is expensive, but generally anywhere worth living is. If you hate the cold its hard to beat. We also love the snow/mountains-just not living in a cold weather climate for half the year-the Sierra are 5-6 hrs away. Hard to beat with the Pacific at the end of the street!

Was stationed in Pendleton. Trying to convince her CA is top notch but she’s worried about the price.

Quote Reply
Re: Best state for triathletes and cyclist [FishOutofWater] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FishOutofWater wrote:
How does the Greenville area compare to the rest of SC? I live just outside of Boston, but (pre-lockdown days) spend 2 weeks a month in Columbia. Can't say I'm super impressed with the riding and running around there. Even well outside the city far more aggressive drivers than MA, roads and terrain are nothing special, and not a lot of other people on bikes around.

We all joke about how terrible Columbia is. It’s a completely different world than Greenville. The only negative is the airport is a little pricy. It’s usually about $100 more per flight than Charlotte or Atlanta. The good thing is it’s just over an hour to Charlotte and 2 1/2 to Atl. We are also 3 hours from Charleston and 4 from Myrtle. One thing I didn’t mention before are the open water swim opportunities that are relatively close by in clean lakes. If you just google Greenville, SC, you will see how people rave about the city. They are all correct

Team Zoot
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hah! Having gone to college in Worcester I see the parallels now. Maybe it's a case of Stockholm Syndrome, but I always thought Worcester's outgrew that reputation a bit. There's more than just grotty college bars now, and surprisingly good restaurants. Plus easy access to good riding on roads that get quiet quickly out of town.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Moved from Raincover to NE Florida recently and in my opinion I think FL is one of the worst places for training. Don’t tell my fiancé lol
Quote Reply
Re: Best state for triathletes and cyclist [FishOutofWater] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FishOutofWater wrote:
hah! Having gone to college in Worcester I see the parallels now. Maybe it's a case of Stockholm Syndrome, but I always thought Worcester's outgrew that reputation a bit. There's more than just grotty college bars now, and surprisingly good restaurants. Plus easy access to good riding on roads that get quiet quickly out of town.

I’m working in downtown Worcester as we speak. At St. V’s. It’s still a dirt hole lol. Currently live in whittensville which is a bit low key but some decent riding.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey, good thinking. I live in Oregon, and it's pretty great. Not that cold but wet in the winter. I'll give you more details if you are interested.

However, some friends in Portland, who are more into biking than tris, had the same question when they were thinking about retiring -- they really liked some places in high desert Arizona but ultimately choose Boise (Idaho) for good riding and running trails plus cheaper than other West Coast locales.

You may wanna check it out. Nice size city.

If I had my dream, I'd go to Noosa, Australia ...
Quote Reply
Re: Best state for triathletes and cyclist [clayhathorn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
clayhathorn wrote:

If I had my dream, I'd go to Noosa, Australia ...

It's nice and sunny down here today and the water is still warm....

Still waiting for the Surf Clubs to open so we can have a beer after training.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fun thread, I daydream about retiring all the time, also Boston resident. My choice would be Chattanooga, which I've only been to for the race a couple times, but absolutely love. In fact, I was also killing time at work today perusing Chattanooga on Zillow . . . found one I liked but, per usual, no one in my family was interested. My happiness not high on their priorities, ha.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: Best state for triathletes and cyclist [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
Politically, Denver is purple and Boulder is far left (a la Berkeley).

Just here to say flip those just a bit. I'm often caught up in the political mess here (boulder) and, yes, as it pertains to national and state level issues, the lefty reputation is deserved, but as far as local issues go, the entrenched belief system/powers-that-be are quite conservative. Try putting in a bike lane on any road around here, getting _any_ more housing built, hosting a race that isn't the bolder boulder, or moving the needle past the status quo on anything and the hypocrites come out to voice their opposition and to let you know how awesome this place was the day after they arrived. Berkley largely has the same national/state vs local hypocrisies.

ETA: and to think i hopped on here for the first time in a few weeks (months?) looking for HED clip lites for the gravel bike!

EETA (so as to make it OP relevant!): MA cold is damp cold. I once had a conference at MIT and during the 5-10min walk from the hotel i was playing a game of "guess how cold it is" based on my CO front range understanding of cold. I guessed 5. Got inside, checked wunderground, it was 35. So if that's any indication of what Colorado "cold" is like... well, it's not bad. Sure we get snow, but it generally disappears within a few days. This year we (Boulder) had our snowiest winter on record... and I could still ride my bike almost every day. And on those days i can't, i'll go backcountry ski glorious dry powder :)

NW Denver Metro prices are getting out of hand, Boulder is moving into "poor" bay area community territory. Thanks NIMBYs. 🤬

What about Monterey/Salinas/Watsonville in Cali?

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Last edited by: MarkyV: Apr 28, 20 17:47
Quote Reply
Re: Best state for triathletes and cyclist [MarkyV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Huntsville, AL, check it out. PM me with questions.
Quote Reply
Re: Best state for triathletes and cyclist [clayhathorn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Out here in the eastern suburbs of Sacramento, neighbors are looking at real estate in Boise...more so than 10 years ago when three colleagues moved their families up there. They say they are done with California.

- For the Australia comment: It was high 80's herel in NorCal today and we OW swam without wet suits. It was awesome because there were no boats because all of the ramps are closed AND I say this as an avid boater/waterskier. It was a once in a lifetime experience to swim wherever the hell you wanted without worrying about a single boat!

- Boulder comment. Boulder is great but I'm not sure it's a poor man's Bay Area.

- Austin comment from earlier. GREAT city. My wife and I visited last year and had a great time. Dallas and Austin just have a cool factor IMO (though I'm a Niners fan).

-Super intrigued about NC and SC. Wife's uncle lives near Durham and I love visiting.

I think we're all intrigued about a "new beginning" after our kids leave but ultimately, I really love the access I have to OW, ultra trail running, cycling, running, and skiing right out of my front door (except for skiing which is 1:20 from my house).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've not lived in any of these places but have spent enough time doing all of the activities you've mentioned in each of them. The two on the top of my list would be southern Utah and the area around Boulder, CO. Great biking and the communities are biking friendly, lots of hard and soft run trails, tremendous hiking opportunities. It's not cheap to live in either but they are awesome places. We've had some similar conversations about retirement.
Quote Reply

Prev Next