Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Indoor vs outdoor Cycling smooth power delivery and body position
Quote | Reply
Having rode my TT bike locked down on the trainer 98% of the time, using this bike outside presents its challenge.

First issue I'm having is position

My outdoors riding position seems to be more comfortable forward outside than on the trainer. Only issue with this is the further forward I am, the further I am from a proper center of gravity and therefore control of the bike suffers.

It seems like this position opens up my hips and lets me engage more muscles group which in turns make cycling easier.

Please note that I did get a professional fit from a retul certified physiotherapist who also uses a seat pressure sensor.

Is this normal?
Is there a way to be more forward and have good control of the bike?

Second issue I'm having is a smooth power delivery.

I have had rides inside where I keep a steady 250 watts for over 2 hour. As smooth as it gets with a very steady cadence. This was of course using ERG mode.

Now, when looking at a 40km TT I did yesterday my average power says 250. But as a feeling under my pedals I couldn't find consistency in my push.

How can I replicate this outside?
Is it even possible to be this steady in wind and Hills?

I seem to have a hard time adjusting to the many environmental changes that happen during a bike ride. Therefore my power is all over the map and far from steady.

Now, I'm planning on spending a lot of time outside on this bike to gain experience and confidence. I have had only a handful of rides outside on it in the last year and bit since I bought the bike.

Thanks for your help and please don't be too hard on this first timer on slow twitch!
Quote Reply