Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Full upgrade to 11s Ultegra Di2
Quote | Reply
Hi all,

My old 2013 Ultegra Di2 10s is on its last legs and im thinking its time to upgrade. My initial thoughts are below, but id value any tips from the twitchperts.

- New Di2 groupset inclusive of junction and internal battery as the previous iterations (external battery etc.) is no longer compatible. Can prob save on wiring and maybe brake levers.
- Crackset has a pioneer powermeter so Im kinda hoping i can simply upgrade the chainrings to 11s. Is this so, or am i missing something?
- New rear hubs for my wheels sets (if compatible) Need to check with FFWD.
- New cassette for my kickr.

I'd appreciate any tips on stuff im overlooking before i start as cost will dictate whether i continue.

Many thanks :)
Quote Reply
Re: Full upgrade to 11s Ultegra Di2 [ToddRodd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ToddRodd wrote:
Hi all,

My old 2013 Ultegra Di2 10s is on its last legs and im thinking its time to upgrade. My initial thoughts are below, but id value any tips from the twitchperts.

- New Di2 groupset inclusive of junction and internal battery as the previous iterations (external battery etc.) is no longer compatible. Can prob save on wiring and maybe brake levers.
- Crackset has a pioneer powermeter so Im kinda hoping i can simply upgrade the chainrings to 11s. Is this so, or am i missing something?
- New rear hubs for my wheels sets (if compatible) Need to check with FFWD.
- New cassette for my kickr.

I'd appreciate any tips on stuff im overlooking before i start as cost will dictate whether i continue.

Many thanks :)

What you include in the change kind of depends on what options you want on the new set up. All your 6770 Ultegra 10sp Di2 parts will work with 11sp Ultegra 6870 or 8000 series. Really it will work with all Shimano 11sp components. All you need are 11speed derailleurs, cassette and chain.

External battery still works unless you want to go internal or want to use the BT D-Fly wireless set up. To use BT D-Fly requires one of the two models of BT D-Fly and either the BT internal battery or the BT external battery holder.

You 6770 shifters will work for 11 speed. I have two bikes set up this way. In fact the 10sp 6770 FD initially worked with the 11sp RD, but Shimano killed this option in a past firmware upgrade.

The e-tube compatibility chart spells out which components will work with each other.

I have had no problem using 10sp chainrings with 11sp Di2. So ur prolly fine. Even if your wheels don’t offer a 11sp freehub upgrade there is the Shimano HG800 11-34 cassette or aftermarket modified 11sp cassettes available.

The one issue you’ll have is updating firmware. For your 6770 setup you’ll need a Shimano PCE-1 or 2 programmer. Or an internal battery charger and one of the newer 2, 3 or 5 port Jumction A’s. These connect by usb from a computer. You can also go wireless with the BT D-Fly and the E-TUBE smartphone app.

Guess it also depends on what is worn out from your 10sp groupset. If shifters are shot the 6870 models are being firesaled as low as $120/pair some places.
Quote Reply
Re: Full upgrade to 11s Ultegra Di2 [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great post SummitAK!

SummitAK wrote:

I have had no problem using 10sp chainrings with 11sp Di2. So ur prolly fine. Even if your wheels don’t offer a 11sp freehub upgrade there is the Shimano HG800 11-34 cassette or aftermarket modified 11sp cassettes available.

Yeah, you should be able to use the 10sp chainrings.

SummitAK wrote:

The one issue you’ll have is updating firmware. For your 6770 setup you’ll need a Shimano PCE-1 or 2 programmer. Or an internal battery charger and one of the newer 2, 3 or 5 port Jumction A’s. These connect by usb from a computer. You can also go wireless with the BT D-Fly and the E-TUBE smartphone app.

Yes! But unfortunately due to the stability of the Di2 BT firmware updates I would NEVER NEVER NEVER EVER update any firmware using the wireless app.
And if the wireless firmware update fails you'll need the SM-PCE1 / PCE02 or go to a shop anyway. You will have to upgrade the old component firmware though, so you could either ask a shop to do that (will take 15 minutes max) or upgrade junction A and get the charger.

I think I would upgrade:
  1. Battery to internal BT-DN110 or external battery mount BM-DN100 (will allow use of current gen bluetooth units)
  2. Junction A to either SM-EW90-A or EW-RS910
  3. Both derailleurs
  4. Charger SM-BCR2 (will also let you change settings using windows PC)
  5. Some electric wires (new A junctions don't come with wires attached for example)

BetterShifting.com - Di2 help and guides| BetterShifting Instagram | Terry's Instagram
Last edited by: TerryDi2C: Apr 26, 20 7:26
Quote Reply
Re: Full upgrade to 11s Ultegra Di2 [TerryDi2C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's fantastic, thank you both very much :)
Quote Reply