Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tacx Smart Bike as Altenative to Peloton/Spin Bike?
Quote | Reply
The family now wants a Peloton spin bike and I'd rather have a smart bike.

Has anyone bought a smart bike for use by the family? How would a smart bike work as a Peloton/Spin Bike alternative?

I assume I'd use zwift/sufferfest and they'd use the Peloton app.

Trying to make everyone happy.

Thanks for offering your thoughts/opinions?
Quote Reply
Re: Tacx Smart Bike as Altenative to Peloton/Spin Bike? [sprimack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you ridden a Peloton and experienced their secret sauce?

The Peloton is the combination of engaging content, social motivation, and a decent device. I have ridden both the bike and used their app while on my trainer. The trainer + app experience is not that good compared to the Peloton bike experience.

One of the major smart bikes (Tacx or Wahoo) is probably vastly superior to the Peloton bike itself. There are things that the Peloton does exceptionally well, like easy resistance changes and the overall integration, but as a bike alone, it is OK.

If your family loved Zwift or Rouvey for the simulation, then they would probably love a smart bike. But, if they really like the Peloton content, then they probably would not like a smart bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Tacx Smart Bike as Altenative to Peloton/Spin Bike? [sprimack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No experience with either but I don't know the personality of your wife/family but if I bought something that was alternative to what they really wanted I would honestly expect to hear my wife openly complain about it...for a long time.

A number of years back our tablets were dying (2nd Gen Nexus 7) and instead bought a laptop to replace them as her current laptop lacked the hardware to do anything productive. She complained about that for over a year that she didn't want a laptop and wanted a new tablet. Well eventually a year after that I finally bought a new tablet based on one I was eyeballing (it was delayed for release) and despec'd from original announcements. It was a turd and performed poorly actually (was only really good to watch videos and not much else). Well she complained about that too and after awhile I just flat out snapped at her she can buy her own damn tablet as I bought it replace the broken ones we had.

I still hear complaints on it every now and then and it's been 3 years since the said tablet purchase. Should've just spent the extra money on an iPad or an Galaxy Tablet and then I wouldn't have had to put up with that constant backhanded comments.

Good luck on whatever you buy but be prepared for the consequences if you don't get a Peloton if that's what they really want.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got a Peloton. My wife absolutely loves it. I think it is fantastic too. I often use it in stand-alone mode and stream a sufferfest workout on my TV. But I like the Peloton workouts too. The bike itself is very nice and it is quiet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If your family is using it, I would go Peloton. The benefit for you is that you can do the non-cycling classes on the app via tv or whatever screen you use. My wife uses a Peloton, but I ride a neo 2 for training, but I use the weight, mobility, core and stretching classes on the Peloton app. They are very good. That said, if you are primarily the user, get a trainer or smart bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the responses and opinions.

Decided to go with a Precor/Spinner® Chrono™ Power spin bike as a compromise for all.

I have a kickr so the spin bike will mainly be for the family with occasional use by me.
Quote Reply