Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Racing in July? [Vienna VA tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was just saying that young people are effectively sacrificing events and opportunities in their lives to help support the older part of the population (for reference I am in 55-59). The math is there, young people are not dying, old people are dying. Young people are the larger losers in this scenario because they are giving away something for no real upside (and mainly downside in the job market and being saddled with all the debt we put on them for the rest of their working lives).

You may not care about a high school grad ceremony but its not really for you, its for the high school grad. I did not even bother going for ceremonies for two grad degrees, so I totally get the "cememonies are not important for some of us". But we're not everyone.

I hope that the job that your daughter has lined up kicks off in August. Fingers crossed that whatever organization wants to employ her comes through well.
Quote Reply
Re: Racing in July? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
timr wrote:
Except RD will have a medical waiver/Corona Virus waiver that all participants will sign.

Pretty sure that's going to be standard when you sign up for business events or when you buy a plane ticket pretty soon too. I am surprised grocery stores don't already have that!!!!

As lawsuit-happy as Americans are, I do not foresee Coronavirus waivers for triathlons, for having your kids participate in soccer (or whatever sport) for going to movie theaters, for restaurants, for performing arts centers, for theme parks, for airplane travel, for sports stadiums, for catching the bus, for riding a subway, etc. Choosing to take part in any activity or business transaction that involves close contact with other people will remain a personal risk you take on your own. There will no doubt be some lawyers who will attempt a class action suit, but I predict courtroom failure. The presence of coronavirus and other communicable diseases is a risk you take upon walking out your front door.
Quote Reply
Re: Racing in July? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There will no doubt be some lawyers who will attempt a class action suit, but I predict courtroom failure. The presence of coronavirus and other communicable diseases is a risk you take upon walking out your front door.

How soon we forget, and this was in all of our lifetimes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/...in_the_United_States
Quote Reply
Re: Racing in July? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nope. That is not analogous in my opinion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So the part where you said other communicable diseases, you were just kidding??
Quote Reply
Re: Racing in July? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Young people are dying though, and are also being severely impacted by the virus more than you seem to think. Additionally, there are immunocompromised, asthmatic, and otherwise vulnerable young people too. There is the upside of not having to watch their loved ones, and in fewer cases friends, die horribly. There are reports coming out of a potential link between covid and stroke, which may or may not not kill you but can certainly decrease quality of life.

You can even take a more pragmatic approach, what's worse forthe economy, keeping things shut down for a while longer while we establish proper measures to ensure this is controlled, or to open things up prematurely and then shut down again after people start getting sick and dying in droves once again.
Quote Reply
Re: Racing in July? [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
imswimmer328 wrote:
Young people are dying though, and are also being severely impacted by the virus more than you seem to think. Additionally, there are immunocompromised, asthmatic, and otherwise vulnerable young people too. There is the upside of not having to watch their loved ones, and in fewer cases friends, die horribly. There are reports coming out of a potential link between covid and stroke, which may or may not not kill you but can certainly decrease quality of life.

You can even take a more pragmatic approach, what's worse forthe economy, keeping things shut down for a while longer while we establish proper measures to ensure this is controlled, or to open things up prematurely and then shut down again after people start getting sick and dying in droves once again.

All for the part in bold. Just not in perpetuity. More data and more knowledge will also emergy from all around the world in due course, so erring on the side of caution is good for now. But eventually it makes overall societal sense to start doing some low risk things gradually and then increase and increase risky items that are permitted.
Quote Reply
Re: Racing in July? [Vienna VA tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah. I'm finishing up my Master's degree this semester. It's definitely not ideal to not be able to return to campus and graduate with friends. But I don't really feel like graduation is such an important event where I'd feel comfortable with the idea of risking getting sick and/or family getting sick. Like in the grand scheme of things it's a pretty small sacrifice ( at least to me) to miss out on graduation ceremonies. As someone in my mid-twenties, I realize that I'm not super high risk when it comes to the disease, my biggest concern is becoming a disease vector and giving it to someone who is.
Quote Reply
Re: Racing in July? [trener1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Eagleman is apparently happening June 14. We have gotten zero updates. None. So what do we do? Assume it will happen and train for it? Withdraw and lose money? Today is the last day to do that. If they are going to have it, I would like to know how they are going to do it safely... line up for the swim start with masks on and then chuck them before we dive in?
Quote Reply
Re: Racing in July? [Tommann] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tommann wrote:
Eagleman is apparently happening June 14. We have gotten zero updates. None. So what do we do? Assume it will happen and train for it? Withdraw and lose money? Today is the last day to do that. If they are going to have it, I would like to know how they are going to do it safely... line up for the swim start with masks on and then chuck them before we dive in?

Unfortunately, I don't think you will get an answer.

Will they hold it? Doubtful. Maybe? Possible, but doubtful. Could they push it back and try to hold later? Possible. If they push back later into summer, will that work? Doubtful? But Maybe? Is no race going to happen in 2020? Possible? Probable? But maybe not?

No one knows. Ironman doesn't know. Will they likely wait as long as they can to make a call? Probably.

I'm looking at my race fees as sunk costs at this point. I'm registered for Wisconsin 70.3... that same weekend. Do I think it will happen? No. Am I still training? Yes. Will I do it whenever they reschedule? Yes. Am I still training for IMChoo in Sept? Yes. If they postpone it later in the year of 2020 will I do it? Yes. If they postpone for 2021 will I do it? Yes.

Ie. I'm just going to keep training until a race I'm registered for happens.

But that's my take.
Quote Reply
Re: Racing in July? [Tommann] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So the question I would love to ask these RDs is if they are planning on making these races duathlons or TT starts on the bike with no swim. I know the answer is "no". But how on earth do they feel comfortable having thousands of people do an open water swim with zero to very limited swim training? The swim seems like it is always the biggest concern because of the number of deaths during the swim vs. either bike/run then add into the fact that even if people can swim tomorrow that only gives people 6 weeks to panic swim train.

Just seems like even if the local government gives them the permits it is not close to a safe thing to do. And I am sure insurance companies will be hesitant because of that issue as well. But I could be all wrong with the insurance but the swim thing seems scary.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
So the part where you said other communicable diseases, you were just kidding??

You are apparently unaware that HIV is NOT a communicable disease. I can't believe you seriously wanted to put AIDs in the same class as the flu, COVID, small pox, measles, ebola, chickenpox, etc.

Per the CDC: "This final rule stated that, “While HIV infection is a serious health condition, it is not a communicable disease that is a significant public health risk for introduction, transmission, and spread to the US population through casual contact.”1 The final rule has been effective as of January 4, 2010."

Edited to provide link: https://www.oralhealthgroup.com/...ommunicable-disease/
Last edited by: HuffNPuff: Apr 27, 20 10:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So it is your position that HIV is not a communicable disease, did you not read past what you bolded? Listen, you made a blanket statement about "communicable diseases", I pointed you towards legislation that refuted what you said. You can highlight a couple words and ignore all the rest of them all you want, there is a precedent for legal action in this area..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Monty - I don't know WTF you are talking about. Let me get back to the basics of what I said. I don't foresee that we will be signing coronavirus waivers to attend sports events or to be a customer of any business that puts us in close proximity of other people. You can disagree with that statement all you want, but I don't anticipate it. You went off on some tangent about a disease that is not even considered communicable. That's your rabbit hole. You own it. If you want to give me an example of a race you've attended where you did sign a waiver about the risk of acquiring a communicable disease that doesn't involve having sex with that person or sharing a needle then that's fair game, otherwise get off your high horse.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you want to give me an example of a race you've attended where you did sign a waiver about the risk of acquiring a communicable disease that doesn't involve having sex with that person or sharing a needle then that's fair game, otherwise get off your high horse. //

Crystal lite triathlon in NY city, had to sign a waiver against Typhoid, Tetanus, and prove that you had shots for them prior to the start line. At any rate we will see what will be the norm going forward, I certainly would add this to any waiver I had athletes sign..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The NYC example is presumably because it was in NYC, polluted water, etc. If one RD requires a signed waiver against covid-19 for insurance purposes then every race with a mass start will require it (tri, running, cycling).

Andrew Inkpen
Quote Reply
Re: Racing in July? [AndrewPhx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If one RD requires a signed waiver against covid-19 for insurance purposes then every race with a mass start will require it (tri, running, cycling). //

I agree, if just a couple adopt this as part of their waiver, then it will be a pile on for the rest. What are the odds that a couple out of 1000's don't add this to their waivers??
Quote Reply

Prev Next