Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: This Week's Zwift Pro Tri Race Series Live Streamed Here Wednesday, April 22 (7am to 8:30am PST) [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I completely agree that this is new and everyone is still learning and hopefully it continues to evolve into something that's more transparent and accurate.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/4391866

Quote Reply
Re: This Week's Zwift Pro Tri Race Series Live Streamed Here Wednesday, April 22 (7am to 8:30am PST) [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
Saw he's only 21!! Definitely has a bright future if those numbers are accurate.

Edit: Ok after looking into this further. Unfortunately it looks like those numbers cannot be accurate. This would make his FTP likely in the 6w/kg realm, way above world record holder level according to some quick googling.

In all fairness this is just not real world a watt is just not a watt etc etc i would not read to much in those races
Quote Reply
Re: This Week's Zwift Pro Tri Race Series Live Streamed Here Wednesday, April 22 (7am to 8:30am PST) [pk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
However what allows for hosting these races in any kind of pseudo-serious manner basically boils down to the fact that a watt IS a watt. I don't think anybody is accusing these guys of outright cheating (maybe?), just that the spirit of competition is pretty well abandoned if things are set-up incorrectly, improperly calibrated, etc. Its all just for fun but its probably a lot more fun for all involved if its all on the up and up.

Me: https://carnivoreendurance.blogspot.com/...ever-comes-next.html

Latest: Colorectal Cancer is in the News Again. Don't Blame Red Meat
https://carnivoreendurance.blogspot.com/...news-again-dont.html
Quote Reply
Re: This Week's Zwift Pro Tri Race Series Live Streamed Here Wednesday, April 22 (7am to 8:30am PST) [Birdmantris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

If you skip to the end he talks about the numbers its pretty good.
Last edited by: talbotcox: Apr 22, 20 14:18
Quote Reply
Re: This Week's Zwift Pro Tri Race Series Live Streamed Here Wednesday, April 22 (7am to 8:30am PST) [talbotcox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well there ya go. Zpower apparently for the occasional guy. Very good opinions from Lionel though I think

Me: https://carnivoreendurance.blogspot.com/...ever-comes-next.html

Latest: Colorectal Cancer is in the News Again. Don't Blame Red Meat
https://carnivoreendurance.blogspot.com/...news-again-dont.html
Quote Reply
Re: This Week's Zwift Pro Tri Race Series Live Streamed Here Wednesday, April 22 (7am to 8:30am PST) [Birdmantris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Canhedo was the one on zpower, but laidlow was on a power meter.
Quote Reply
Re: This Week's Zwift Pro Tri Race Series Live Streamed Here Wednesday, April 22 (7am to 8:30am PST) [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
3 of the top 4 guys in this race put out efforts that put them at or above Egan Bernal on a w/kg FTP level. I doubt there's anything fishy going on, lots of guys are very new to zwift and probably don't have the best setups. But it's clear that they have inaccurate power measurement.

Agreed - more work needs to be done here. More standardization. The more the better.

My wife races, for a semi-pro team on Zwift and is in real life and on the real roads, one of the top Master's Women's Road cyclists in Canada. She's raced on Zwift with three different trainers and each one was a bit different with the power profiles, and how they were expressed.

This is all REALLY new, and is kind of a work in progress for all concerned. I think we just need a bit of patience to work some of the bugs out.

Bernal would be in 7 watts per kilo territory for 30 minutes. I think some of these guys who think they're weapons on the bike are getting their feelings hurt by real cyclists.
Quote Reply
Re: This Week's Zwift Pro Tri Race Series Live Streamed Here Wednesday, April 22 (7am to 8:30am PST) [vanchize] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don’t Zwift so not too familiar, but do the power ups etc. affect the power numbers?

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
3 of the top 4 guys in this race put out efforts that put them at or above Egan Bernal on a w/kg FTP level. I doubt there's anything fishy going on, lots of guys are very new to zwift and probably don't have the best setups. But it's clear that they have inaccurate power measurement.

Agreed - more work needs to be done here. More standardization. The more the better.

My wife races, for a semi-pro team on Zwift and is in real life and on the real roads, one of the top Master's Women's Road cyclists in Canada. She's raced on Zwift with three different trainers and each one was a bit different with the power profiles, and how they were expressed.

This is all REALLY new, and is kind of a work in progress for all concerned. I think we just need a bit of patience to work some of the bugs out.

Unless you standardize everything it’ll be tough. I have a tacx Neo 2, stages left side, and Assioma. They all read differently and everything that needs calibrated is. My stages reads highest and my Assioma next and Tacx lowest.

I use my Tacx because it works better for workouts as there is no lag for shifts in power during erg mode but if I switch to either power meter, I’m all of a sudden a far better cyclist.

From a lifestyle perspective it just means I need to do a couple ramp tests on my Tacx and Assioma so I don’t have pacing issues during racing season.

In Lionels video he has a very refreshing perspective on this but I’ll let the video Talbot posted speak for itself.

Dan Mayberry
Amateur a lot of things, professional a few things.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Birdmantris wrote:
Well there ya go. Zpower apparently for the occasional guy. Very good opinions from Lionel though I think

That is pathetic! Im sorry but what pro triathlete does not have a power meter or atleast a smart trainer with power?
If you dont have that just don't sign up!

Also funny we dont see these strong guys smashing IM bike courses regulary.
Quote Reply
Re: This Week's Zwift Pro Tri Race Series Live Streamed Here Wednesday, April 22 (7am to 8:30am PST) [lassekk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lassekk wrote:
Birdmantris wrote:

That is pathetic! Im sorry but what pro triathlete does not have a power meter or atleast a smart trainer with power?
If you dont have that just don't sign up!

Also funny we dont see these strong guys smashing IM bike courses regulary.

ZPower was not supposed to be allowed, so not sure how he slipped through the cracks.

I think we will slowly start to see things evolve here and more validation/standardization happen for the ZTri Pro Series. Not sure how open/publicized that will be, or when/if people are flagged if that will be public knowledge, but either way I think we will see changes.

No matter what happens, I’ll still get my @ss kicked, but this is giving me motivation and getting me on the bike for some hard work on Wednesdays right now. The downside of being a “W/CdA” guy and not a W/kg guy............(Yeah, that’s my excuse & I’m sticking to it.... ;) )

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Partnered with: Zoot Sports | Precision Fuel &Hydration | ISM
Quote Reply
Re: This Week's Zwift Pro Tri Race Series Live Streamed Here Wednesday, April 22 (7am to 8:30am PST) [drm437] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
drm437 wrote:
Fleck wrote:

Unless you standardize everything it’ll be tough. I have a tacx Neo 2, stages left side, and Assioma. They all read differently and everything that needs calibrated is. My stages reads highest and my Assioma next and Tacx lowest.

I use my Tacx because it works better for workouts as there is no lag for shifts in power during erg mode but if I switch to either power meter, I’m all of a sudden a far better cyclist.

From a lifestyle perspective it just means I need to do a couple ramp tests on my Tacx and Assioma so I don’t have pacing issues during racing season.

In Lionels video he has a very refreshing perspective on this but I’ll let the video Talbot posted speak for itself.

Dan- Off topic here, but rather than having to do “ramp tests” to sort the differences between your TACX & Assioma, why not set power source to the pedals and just leave the TACX as controllable trainer, that way you’re training by the power numbers you’ll use outdoors but still getting the greatness of the TACX for workout mode?

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Partnered with: Zoot Sports | Precision Fuel &Hydration | ISM
Quote Reply
Re: This Week's Zwift Pro Tri Race Series Live Streamed Here Wednesday, April 22 (7am to 8:30am PST) [@BW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What's crazy about it is I looked up the zpower monster on IG and seems to be riding a direct drive trainer so you would assume has access to power meter (not too mention the canyon speedmax with lightweight autobahn disc and lightweight front wheel a 9000USD wheelset, got a hard time believing there aint a power meter on that machine). If zpower was legit the only option (which again hard time believing for most pros), shouldn't be allowed in the race, or for goodness sake put these results Zwift Power and filter the results out that way.

I'm very grateful for the opportunity even in these times to get to duke it out with some of the best triathletes in the world including Alistair Brownlee who unfortunately had dropout and then came back to our lead chase group (only to drop us again in the final km as expected), but to be brutally honest yesterday's race was bit of a joke. Between the Yates brothers literally being a part of the women's race, and the zpower mayhem dragging the front of the men's Zwift is dropping the ball here. Right now with no sports on tv, Zwift can really take centre stage, unfortunately though missing the mark in spectacular fashion.
Quote Reply
Re: This Week's Zwift Pro Tri Race Series Live Streamed Here Wednesday, April 22 (7am to 8:30am PST) [f.sorbara.92] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
f.sorbara.92 wrote:
What's crazy about it is I looked up the zpower monster on IG and seems to be riding a direct drive trainer so you would assume has access to power meter (not too mention the canyon speedmax with lightweight autobahn disc and lightweight front wheel a 9000USD wheelset, got a hard time believing there aint a power meter on that machine). If zpower was legit the only option (which again hard time believing for most pros), shouldn't be allowed in the race, or for goodness sake put these results Zwift Power and filter the results out that way.

I'm very grateful for the opportunity even in these times to get to duke it out with some of the best triathletes in the world including Alistair Brownlee who unfortunately had dropout and then came back to our lead chase group (only to drop us again in the final km as expected), but to be brutally honest yesterday's race was bit of a joke. Between the Yates brothers literally being a part of the women's race, and the zpower mayhem dragging the front of the men's Zwift is dropping the ball here. Right now with no sports on tv, Zwift can really take centre stage, unfortunately though missing the mark in spectacular fashion.

I think the only problem I have is that zwift uses a lot of pros as a free promotion vehicle they post on their social media and sell zwift prescribtons.
As for powermeter there was some good Conversation a bit more in detail on zwift podcast b etween Jordan and Dan what uci can and seem to be doing.
I find it also intrestingly everybody is going on about power numbers and very few about the scale where I see even bigger differnces and where you place them.
Quote Reply
Re: This Week's Zwift Pro Tri Race Series Live Streamed Here Wednesday, April 22 (7am to 8:30am PST) [pk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pk wrote:
f.sorbara.92 wrote:

I think the only problem I have is that zwift uses a lot of pros as a free promotion vehicle they post on their social media and sell zwift prescribtons.
As for powermeter there was some good Conversation a bit more in detail on zwift podcast b etween Jordan and Dan what uci can and seem to be doing.
I find it also intrestingly everybody is going on about power numbers and very few about the scale where I see even bigger differnces and where you place them.

I do not think the "professional" triathletes are being "policed" enough for this to be a real thing (yet). It's laughable to watch complete nobodies ride away from the best cyclists in triathlon. It IS only a 25-30min race so that's a factor, but still.
Last edited by: jkhayc: Apr 23, 20 6:26
Quote Reply
Re: This Week's Zwift Pro Tri Race Series Live Streamed Here Wednesday, April 22 (7am to 8:30am PST) [@BW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thing is, these problems (weight doping, zpower, outside riders) have been the growing pains zwift racing was dealing with from the start 5 years ago. a lot of progress has been made, so why is this series all the sudden dealing with them? the argument was that they were lax on rules to get all the tri pro's involved, but flip side argument is that this is the only game in town right now. if you want to race, play by the rules.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a Kg/watts guy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
@BW_Tri wrote:
drm437 wrote:
Fleck wrote:

Dan- Off topic here, but rather than having to do “ramp tests” to sort the differences between your TACX & Assioma, why not set power source to the pedals and just leave the TACX as controllable trainer, that way you’re training by the power numbers you’ll use outdoors but still getting the greatness of the TACX for workout mode?

I used to do that with my vortex before I upgraded and that was the setup that had the lag in erg mode. I assumed it was because the trainer was different than the power source, but maybe the vortex was the issue. I’ll give that a try.

Dan Mayberry
Amateur a lot of things, professional a few things.
Quote Reply
Re: This Week's Zwift Pro Tri Race Series Live Streamed Here Wednesday, April 22 (7am to 8:30am PST) [drm437] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Real Triathlon Podcast just released a podcast about the race. It's hosted by Garrick Loewen, Jackson Laundry, and Nick Chase (all pro triathletes) who all raced. They had on Paula Findlay, Justin Metzler, and Matt Chrabott as well. I thought it was a good listen to hear their perspective on the race, and where they think this could go.
Quote Reply
Re: This Week's Zwift Pro Tri Race Series Live Streamed Here Wednesday, April 22 (7am to 8:30am PST) [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When is the next scheduled race?
Quote Reply
Re: This Week's Zwift Pro Tri Race Series Live Streamed Here Wednesday, April 22 (7am to 8:30am PST) [spasmus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just found it

Tomorrow 4/29
Quote Reply

Prev Next