Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

School me please: Switching to 1X
Quote | Reply
Maybe too much time on hands but looking at next upgrade to the TT bike. Have a little time as racing not looking likely too soon.

Currently riding a Felt IA 10 with Alpha x headset. Bought frame and headset and built up with a SRAM 10 speed group-set. Just made sense at time as road bike was 10 speed so could share training wheels.

So looking at potentially changing to 1x 11 speed. Want to hold onto crank as it's a Quarq powermeter. Current ratio is 39/51 & 11/25 or 11/28 (depending on race profile).

Am i right in saying if i held onto the 51 chain ring and used a 11/36 cassette I still have same ratio range?
Would like to go down the eTap route so potentially would only need a RD, cassette, chain and the clicks and blip box.

Missing anything?
Anyone see any concerns or have experiences doing something similar?
Could there be a little to much gap between certain gears?

Any feedback would be welcomed. Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: School me please: Switching to 1X [Rodneyr1981] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A few things here:

You absolutely need a narrow-wide chainring to run 1x. Everything else is pretty much optional, but that 1x specific ring is crucial. Sram makes great ones that are relatively cheap but only for 5 bolt so depending on your crank that might not work. With 1x specific chainrings, they only come in even numbered tooth counts. So you're looking at 50 or 52. Also your current gearing is a bit odd as is. Usually with a 52 big ring youd have a 36 or so small ring, so you're gearing is narrower than it could be at no penalty right now.

Don't worry about getting a clutched RD.

The gearing gaps might feel big initially but you get used to them and then won't even think about it. I've only ever used 1x on my tri bikes so the gaps are completely irrelevant to me.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: School me please: Switching to 1X [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Budget 1x TT rings......Garbaruk from Poland I think. Love mine. 54T and 12-25 is my go-to for anything that averages 50ish feet per mile or less.

When going 1x, instead of trying to buy a "one cassette to rule them all".........I'd just own multiples. I'd own a tight 12-25 or 11-23 then also own some stuff with bailout up top if you wish. Corn cobs for the flat stuff and dinner plates for the steep stuff.

But I wouldn't shoot myself in the kneecaps right away by saying I'm only buying one cassette to both have an 11t and a 30/32 or even 36t bailout.

Also, a lot of folks talk about spinning out 12t cogs and talk crap about them..........spin out a 12t cog on a big front ring. You'll be moving the freak out, around 40+mph. I consider those situations outliers anywhere where if you're descending and putting out power at 50mph.........that's special and would need special considerations and some cajones.

Otherwise, a 12t is much more efficient when needed and also puts a lot of the 23 to 28mph flat speed riders right in the most efficient "meat" of the cassette for chainline.
Quote Reply
Re: School me please: Switching to 1X [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
@ realbdeal. Thanks I had read about the narrow to wide chainring but had forgotten all about it.

@ burnthe sheep. Thanks. TBH I change cassettes on current set up depending on course so not sure why I felt I need to move away from that approach.

1 more question. Any issue regarding the chainline if using a double crank and just removing the inner ring?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: School me please: Switching to 1X [Rodneyr1981] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rodneyr1981 wrote:
Any issue regarding the chainline if using a double crank and just removing the inner ring?

Thanks

Yes. My understanding is that 1x specific rings are offset for chainline purposes. I don't think just removing the inner ring and keeping that chainline with the outer ring would work optimally.
Quote Reply
Re: School me please: Switching to 1X [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just noticed typo. Current is 39/53
Quote Reply