Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Critique my bike fit [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
I thought we were talking about the fit on a TT bike.

If we're talking specifically about tri/TT bikes, most have the same BB drop across the entire size range, so it matters even less. So in this case, our theoretical pro who decides to size down his Shiv from XL all the way down to XS, but decides to keep the 175mm cranks, still has the exact same cornering clearance as before...

"I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10, and I don't know why!"
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my bike fit [Warbird] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Warbird wrote:
jimatbeyond wrote:

If we're talking specifically about tri/TT bikes, most have the same BB drop across the entire size range, so it matters even less. So in this case, our theoretical pro who decides to size down his Shiv from XL all the way down to XS, but decides to keep the 175mm cranks, still has the exact same cornering clearance as before...

I would think that the crank arm length for a TT fit would probably be in the range of 150mm to 165mm.

Also, I would never pedal through a corner. Problem solved.
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my bike fit [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
I would think that the crank arm length for a TT fit would probably be in the range of 150mm to 165mm.

Also, I would never pedal through a corner. Problem solved.

Should be, but on most production tri bikes they're still spec'ing 170-175.

If you've got 155mm cranks on a bike with a BB drop suitable for a crit racer with 175s, why not hammer through the corners...?

"I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10, and I don't know why!"
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my bike fit [Warbird] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Warbird wrote:
jimatbeyond wrote:

You are correct. The bottom bracket height for the new Shiv is 265 mm for all frame sizes, and the height for the old Shiv is 258 mm for all frame sizes. The crank length varies from 165 to 172.5 mm for the new Shiv and 165 to 175 mm for the old Shiv.

Looking across a number of triathlon bike brands, I don't see any crank lengths specified smaller than 165 mm regardless of the frame size.
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my bike fit [Fredo_Adagio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A proper bike fit would probably have a crank length around 155mm.
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my bike fit [Fredo_Adagio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That crank length limitation is a product of available OEM lengths rather than ideals
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my bike fit [iamuwere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I measured my fixed-gear track bike. Pedal strike during turns is an important consideration for fixed-gear bikes because the pedals are always turning. My fixed-gear bike has crank arms that are 165 mm and a bottom bracket height of 285 mm. I checked the specifications for some other fixed-gear bikes and found they were similar.
Quote Reply

Prev Next