Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How are you and how was your week? April 20 Edition (Happy Patriot's Day!)
Quote | Reply
How are you and how was your week?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How are you and how was your week? April 20 Edition (Happy Patriot's Day!) [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
My key goal this week is to make time to journal and do it. It feels like I "should be" doing research not writing in my journal but mental health matters and journaling really helps me.

The other key goal is to stop irritating the hamstring.

I did a little journaling, and I did my absolute best not to irritate my hamstring. Cycling feels fine. I tried to be creative and walk to get my groceries last Monday, then had pain walking back to my place with a heavy backpack. The tendon didn't like the extra weight. Did I tell you all about that last week? I don't even remember. Anyway, on Thursday my physical therapist suggested trying a mile run/mile walk. It took until yesterday when I felt emotionally ready to handle it (worried it would hurt and I would lose it... which I still semi-did). I had some tenderness after 1 mi run. The good news is (a) I was probably going faster than I should have and it could be speed related and (2) I didn't try to push it running. I am sure you can all appreciate how hard it is to stop, so that was a win for me.

I see my orthopedist next Monday. Has anyone had experience with platelet-rich plasma injections? That's a potential option.

The key for me right now is mental health maintenance, and I'm still struggling to prioritize it (particularly over the "should be working") feeling. Today I did a good job of calling a friend when I needed to talk.

I was planning on joining the zoom hangout but I had a panic attack on Thursday (an actual panic attack - I am not exaggerating - I haven't had one in years and forgot how much they sucked) when we were giving an online exam and had major technical issues, and I was too emotionally exhausted Thursday night to hang out. I am planning on this week!

anyway workout stuff

M: 5.75 mi walk
T: 56 mi bike
W: 34 mi bike
T: 54 mi bike
F: 5 mi walk + 1h30 on the trainer
S: 65 mi bike
S: 1 mi run + 4.5 mi walk

goals for this week:
- reach out and talk to people when I need to
- journal
- PT exercises every day!

Thanks for listening.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Re: How are you and how was your week? April 20 Edition (Happy Patriot's Day!) [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for getting us started Dr. Tigerhchik. I'm sorry you're going through such a rough patch but you're doing a good job listening to your body and recognizing the small wins (stopping, calling a friend to help). There will be more zoom happy hours :D

On the sports front, things are starting to normalize for me -- I added a few little bits of intensity here and there just to see where I stand but I'm mostly continuing a slow boil -- 4 runs, 4 bikes, strength, p/rehab, and yoga every day -- more of that this week.

I'm thinking of the Womens because I know a lot of y'all are having a tough time.

Happy training and happy thoughts.

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Doing better, finally was able to access my unemployment funds (California uses a debit card, and mine-from prior unemployment- had expired) took over a month to arrive from the time I filed. Fortunately I was paid for Feb- March 10 at the end of March, so bank account wasn't too bad when it came to paying bills.
As for training, I have been unintentionally bike focused, been avoiding running as much as possible, and swimming is limited as to when the pool is warm enough and I'm motivated enough to get all my stuff together to get in. I rode 3 times, 1-Tower 26 coached group ride workout, 1- Tri-Zone shop ride (meetup), 1-FTP builder foundation workout, all on Zwift. I ran outside on Sat & Sunday in order to complete the Ironman Virtual Race 3, FTP builder ride counted as my ride distance.
This week - bike 3x, run-???, swim- more later in the week (it's suppose to be in the 90sF, Friday & Saturday. Would love to go ride outside, but don't want to ride with others (social distancing) but also don't feel safe enough to ride alone....accidents happen. I still haven't completed the whiteboard workout I showed last Thursday (looked more complicated than it actually is, just included all my mathematical conversions due to odd pool distance that isn't supported by Garmin.) Maybe I will get that done sometime this week, then write a new one for possibly a second swim.

TC- as a teacher you don't have one of those cart thingies that you could use to wheel your groceries home?? Those really came in handy for me when I fractured my elbow, so much easier to cart things around. Or one of those tool box on wheels things, I don't know what they are called, but I have one of those too, and it is pretty heavy duty, but easily maneuverable.

check out my blog http://theswimmingtriathlete.com
Quote Reply
Re: How are you and how was your week? April 20 Edition (Happy Patriot's Day!) [TwoDollarSteak] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
On the sports front, things are starting to normalize for me -- I added a few little bits of intensity here and there just to see where I stand but I'm mostly continuing a slow boil -- 4 runs, 4 bikes, strength, p/rehab, and yoga every day -- more of that this week.

Super awesome. I like the description "slow boil."

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's a new week, Ladies.

Thanks for getting us started, Dr. TC. I'm sorry last week was so rough. I'm hoping that was the eye of the storm for you. We're looking forward to seeing you this week on the happy hour chat!

TDS, glad you're getting back into it! I also like the concept of slow boil. I wish more people would adopt that right now instead of the whole "OMG I NEED TO REDEFINE MYSELF" mentality that's floating around.

SDCali, I'm glad you've gotten some relief. I am going to continue to be jealous of your access to swimming.

For me, last week was the last build week of training. For what? No idea. My first two races of the year have been canceled. The Eagleman RD has been completely silent to us athletes as to any status updates, except for when I pointed out to the FB group last week that she's chatting away with the IMMD athletes for September (which is like, 15 years from now) and then she snapped at me. I'm sure it's stressful right now, but good lord the race is 8 weeks away, never mind the lack of swim training to be able to complete a 1.2 mile straight swim, but being in close proximity to a couple thousand people of unknown health status? With zero options to either do the race virtually or defer or get a refund? I'm losing sleep already over a lot of things. This shouldn't be one of them right now. On the other side of things my coach is all WE ARE DOING THIS I CAN FEEL IT and has been calling people out on tough Zwift rides as being "quitters", so I'm sure she'll be thrilled when I put my concerned scientist athlete hat on and tell her I really don't want to do this race and she shouldn't be forcing her mentality of this being a safe, rational thing to do on the team.

Anyhoo.

This week is recovery week, lol.

M- 40min run
Tu- tri team dry land workout
W- 60min team Zwift ride. I'm also leading the kiddo team virtual workout
Th- tri team dry land workout, 30min run
F- REST DAY HOLLLA
Sa- 75min team Zwift ride (led me yours truly) and 20min run brick
Su- Maybe yoga? Maybe sleep the eff in and laze around the house? Maybe take a really long drive somewhere to scream into the void? Not sure yet.

Level II USAT Coach | Level 3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot | Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
Last edited by: Dr_Cupcake: Apr 21, 20 5:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey all. Hope you are staying well and safe.

Dr. T, sorry to hear you are going through all of that. I hope your hamstring is feeling better and you are taking care of your mental health.
TDS, a slow boil sounds about right. Just enough intensity to keep it interesting.
SDCali, what a relief to have unemployment sorted out. Do you have a pool in the backyard? Jealous!
Dr_C, so frustrating that the director is not getting any information to you.

Last week was OK. I did a good amount of training and the dogs are still loving their long morning walks. Running is going well, which I'm attributing to the extra PT and weights workouts I'm doing. Covid-related stuff was a little harder. I'm on 20% furlough starting this week, with Wednesdays as my furlough day, so I did my long run today. It was nice to relax and take my time this morning, I'm not going to lie. It hit me yesterday that I renewed my passport earlier this year and now can't go anywhere. =( It also hit me that I haven't seen my dad in months. =( We had to celebrate my sister-in-law's birthday today with a Zoom call. =(

One funny thing to come out of this, is that my husband and I have been playing a lot of cards and I am currently the undefeated Rummy champion. We've also been watching movies and lazing around on the weekends when we'd usually be rushing off to the market or errands, so it hasn't been all bad.

Hope to catch you all tomorrow at the happy hour!

http://mediocremultisport.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: How are you and how was your week? April 20 Edition (Happy Patriot's Day!) [Midtown Miles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rummy is a good game. I haven't played that in ages.

Quote Reply