Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Building challenges on Argon E119 - bottom bracket question
Quote | Reply
Hoping crowd wisdom can help me.

I've got an FSA crank that is light and I like. Wanted to put it on my new Argon e119. For reference, the description and dimensions are here: https://mybikeshop.com/...nkset-bb386-evo.html

Since Argon 18 is BB86 press fit, I got these bearings from Wheels Manufacturing: https://wheelsmfg.com/...-bottom-bracket.html

Pressed them in great, got the drive side through and attached my other crank arm but it doesn't have enough room to fully tighten. Taking it apart and measuring it looks like the spindle is at least 2mm too short to attach the non-drive-side crank properly. Not using any spacers other than the dust cover and no obvious fix other than filing down the Argon frame (yes, I know that's not the answer).

So a couple questions:

1. Is there an easy answer here that I'm missing?

2. The FSA bottom bracket looks like it has recessed bearings and might give me the clearance I need: https://shop.fullspeedahead.com/...nk-to-shimano-pfbb86
Any opinion on whether this will work?

3. Any other fix, other than getting a new Shimano crankset and new bottom bracket?

Bonus question:

Do the E119 and the + share the same seat tube? My 119 looks like it could just take the hardware for the tailwind box but one LBS wants to sell a new seat tube as well for >$400. Anybody have any experience putting the tailwind kit on an 119 without changing the seat tube?

Thanks a bunch!

Chris
Quote Reply
Re: Building challenges on Argon E119 - bottom bracket question [chet03] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is your crank's axle length 104mm or longer?
Quote Reply
Re: Building challenges on Argon E119 - bottom bracket question [chet03] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chet03 wrote:

Do the E119 and the + share the same seat tube? My 119 looks like it could just take the hardware for the tailwind box but one LBS wants to sell a new seat tube as well for >$400. Anybody have any experience putting the tailwind kit on an 119 without changing the seat tube?

When you say "seat tube", I am guessing you mean seat post ? The 119 and 119+ have different seat posts. The difference is the part that the tailwind attaches to.

The seat tubes, into which the seat post slide, are the same size.

You can't put an argon tail wind on a 119 seat post. There are 3rd party products that look like the Trek draft box.
Last edited by: marcag: Apr 20, 20 9:30
Quote Reply
Re: Building challenges on Argon E119 - bottom bracket question [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With the both arms attached the axle length is 90mm
With the bearings sitting out from the 86.5mm frame width plus the dust cover it looks like I need at least 92mm.

Chris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just measure the axle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Bonus Answer:
The seat posts are indeed different between the E-119 Tri and the E-119 Tri+. The Tri+ has a longer, beefier “seat rail” out the back to accommodate the seat for/aft adjustment and attachment of the Tailwind box. They (A18) also have a part numbers that includes all of the parts in one kit (including the seat-post, bottle cages, etc); they also have part numbers so each piece can be purchased separately.

I don’t have experience with FSA bottom brackets (sorry).

Cheers,

Mario
Quote Reply
Re: Building challenges on Argon E119 - bottom bracket question [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The axle is exactly 104mm without the non drive side crank arm attached.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The description for the bottom bracket you linked above says:

"Crankset spindle length must be longer than 104mm when used in a 86.5mm wide BB shell".
Quote Reply