Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Is this as good a time as any to buy a Canyon? Plus sizing question!
Quote | Reply
I am thinking about buying a Speedmax CF. Canyon has a sale on now. Is there a better time of year to buy? I don't recall them dropping their prices much more than they currently are. I am not sure if there are new models around the corner but from what I have read it is unlikely that the CF model will see much of an upgrade this year. Has anyone heard anything different?

For size advice I posted over in the Speedmax Size thread but that has been quiet for a few months. Any opinions here would be appreciated.

Pad Y: 700 (ctr pad) (this week I am at 690 to see if I am comfortable a little lower)
Pad X: 535
6'5" tall with a 37.5 inseam.

My first thought is that I am an XL but if there is an argument for the Large then I would like to know (fit and aero).
My one concern with an XL is that I plan to keep the large bento box and fit my Alpha One. This would require 30mm of spacers reducing the monopost down to 25-35mm. I don't know if I can ever physically go 30mm or lower on the front end but should I want to then I would have to cut the steerer and switch to the smaller bento. This wouldn't be a problem with the large but then I may dwarf the bike. According to the fit guide on TriRig the Alpha on a large would have to be 30mm spacers with 60mm of mono extension vs 35mm mono on the XL.

I go around in circles on this stuff so any thoughts will be greatly appreciated. I hope everyone is safe and having a great weekend!
Quote Reply
Re: Is this as good a time as any to buy a Canyon? Plus sizing question! [east31] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There’s no chance you’d want a L. I would ride a L and I’m 5” shorter than you with 4” less inseam.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Is this as good a time as any to buy a Canyon? Plus sizing question! [east31] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
east31 wrote:
I am thinking about buying a Speedmax CF. Canyon has a sale on now. Is there a better time of year to buy? I don't recall them dropping their prices much more than they currently are. I am not sure if there are new models around the corner but from what I have read it is unlikely that the CF model will see much of an upgrade this year. Has anyone heard anything different?

For size advice I posted over in the Speedmax Size thread but that has been quiet for a few months. Any opinions here would be appreciated.

Pad Y: 700 (ctr pad) (this week I am at 690 to see if I am comfortable a little lower)
Pad X: 535
6'5" tall with a 37.5 inseam.

My first thought is that I am an XL but if there is an argument for the Large then I would like to know (fit and aero).
My one concern with an XL is that I plan to keep the large bento box and fit my Alpha One. This would require 30mm of spacers reducing the monopost down to 25-35mm. I don't know if I can ever physically go 30mm or lower on the front end but should I want to then I would have to cut the steerer and switch to the smaller bento. This wouldn't be a problem with the large but then I may dwarf the bike. According to the fit guide on TriRig the Alpha on a large would have to be 30mm spacers with 60mm of mono extension vs 35mm mono on the XL.

I go around in circles on this stuff so any thoughts will be greatly appreciated. I hope everyone is safe and having a great weekend!

if only there was some expert specifically in canyon speedmax bike fit manning a thread ... ;-)

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Is this as good a time as any to buy a Canyon? Plus sizing question! [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you mean Ian in the official fit assistance for canyon speedmax thread? I posted there but he doesn’t appear to have responded to anyone since the end of feb. I figured with all that’s going on his priorities may have shifted! If there is somewhere else more suitable to post then I’ll happily move this. Also interested in whether folks think that this is a good time to buy. Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Is this as good a time as any to buy a Canyon? Plus sizing question! [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cool. That’s what I thought but having spent three years on a bike that’s kind of small I’ve lost track of what’s normal! Also, being at the XL end of the sizes I’m not sure if there are any advantages to a smaller frame. I’ve been told by people on here that stability and handling should be better on something bigger. I can’t imagine there’s much aero difference between the same position on a L as an XL but I don’t know for sure. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The gamble is inventory, but Canyon’s calendar year-end model close out sales are better. Nov and esp Dec when they aggressively mark down prices.
Quote Reply
Re: Is this as good a time as any to buy a Canyon? Plus sizing question! [maninthearena] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. That is good to know. They currently have $200 off the CF 7.0 and 8.0. Can you remember how much they were taking off late in the year?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://forum.slowtwitch.com/.../?page=unread#unread

Looks like there's a guy selling in XL in the classifieds
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi, I am in a similar situation, except I'm trying to buy a road bike. I'm 6 feet 4 with about 37 inches of in seam. At 6 feet 5 I don't think there is any case for the L unless you have weirdly short arms.

I come out on their fit charts between sizes so you are more than likely on the XL. Find the biggest challenge for the long of legged is being fitted to a bike that is to long in proportion for their body, sort of comes from the desire of bike people to build perfect bikes for size 56 and then scale up in proportion.
Quote Reply
Re: Is this as good a time as any to buy a Canyon? Plus sizing question! [Vegaskid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I saw that one thanks. Looks like a sweet bike. I have been tempted by the Speed Concept but I really value the ease of adjustment of my TriRig Alpha One bars.
Quote Reply
Re: Is this as good a time as any to buy a Canyon? Plus sizing question! [stevie g] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I have weirdly long arms if anything lol. The size 56s certainly look more in proportion than an XL bike. I am happy that there is a variety of XL bikes to choose from though! Good luck with the road bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cursing my stupidly long arms
Quote Reply
Re: Is this as good a time as any to buy a Canyon? Plus sizing question! [stevie g] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevie g wrote:
Hi, I am in a similar situation, except I'm trying to buy a road bike. I'm 6 feet 4 with about 37 inches of in seam. At 6 feet 5 I don't think there is any case for the L unless you have weirdly short arms.

I come out on their fit charts between sizes so you are more than likely on the XL. Find the biggest challenge for the long of legged is being fitted to a bike that is to long in proportion for their body, sort of comes from the desire of bike people to build perfect bikes for size 56 and then scale up in proportion.
I am 6'1" and have been fitted by Jim at Ero on both an Aeroad and a Speedmax. My Aeroad is a size XL and I replaced the stock stem with a 10mm longer one; my speedmax is a size L. (It's been modified with a Tririg Alpha x cockpit. ) Note in both cases the online calculator would have made me pick a smaller size.
Quote Reply
Re: Is this as good a time as any to buy a Canyon? Plus sizing question! [Benv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I think size charts can be a bit misleading. The speedmax looks like a really good fit for people like me
Quote Reply
Re: Is this as good a time as any to buy a Canyon? Plus sizing question! [Benv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would love to get over to see Jim for a fit! It is interesting that you say that the fit calculator put you on something smaller. A few years ago Canyon Europe had quite a detailed calculator that took into account a host of body measurements. All I can find now is one using height and inseam. Is that what you used? I think XL is the way to go. It is certainly the safer bet. I thought that someone might say that the smaller frame will be more aero or something. Having ridden a bike that fits but is on the small side I will be interested to compare it to something bigger, I just hope that they don't bring out a new model in a couple of months.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good for reaching for the behind the seat bottle. And the last packet of toilet roll at the back of the top shelf in the grocery store lol
Quote Reply