Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Florida starting to open back up [BT_DreamChaser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BT_DreamChaser wrote:
8 players and 2 coaches for the Florida Marlins baseball team have tested positive for Covid-19. Good job Florida! We finally get baseball back and you're gonna ruin it. This is why we can't have nice things...

Apparently it’s up to 13 Marlin personnel according to ESPN.

Some baseball analysts’ points made on ESPN:

Does the Marlins' outbreak of positive cases put their season in jeopardy?

Of course, but that's why there's a taxi squad of up to 30 players. If the league is going to continue play, then it's next man up, as hard as that might be to believe. There really is no other choice. If the Marlins' season is in jeopardy, then the entire league's is as well. -- Jesse Rogers

What does the Marlins' outbreak mean for the state of the MLB season as a whole?

We'll only be able to answer this accurately with hindsight -- though it looms as a possibility that Monday's news is an inflection point with ramifications not only across the rest of this season, but across all the major team sports endeavoring to attempt what MLB already is trying to pull off. For now, this is baseball's first big test of its ability to stage the 2020 season, and it is more than a little disheartening that it came with just 92 games in the books. Baseball couldn't get through its first weekend without a possible nightmare scenario emerging.

First, we await test results for the Phillies and their stadium personnel and the weekend's umpiring crews, among others. We will see just how widely spread the breakout is among the Marlins, and once we do, we will determine if they can plausibly -- and safely -- field a viable active roster from their 60-player pool. We will cross our fingers and hope that the players and coaches who have already tested positive either don't experience symptoms, or if they do, they are mild and short-lived.

When we know whether the Marlins can keep playing, we'll know a lot more about the viability of continuing the season. Because what is already a 13-person outbreak is the exact kind of situation MLB's system of protocols was designed to prevent, insofar as anything related to COVID-19 is preventable.

It's also important that MLB be transparent with the decisions it makes in reaction to this situation. If the medical experts tell them it's simply too dangerous for the Marlins to keep going, then baseball's newest moment of truth will be at hand. -- Bradford Doolittle

Could this impact other teams beyond the Marlins?

The Marlins played in Atlanta before going to Philadelphia. They played three games against the Phillies, occupying the visiting clubhouse at Citizens Bank Park, where the Yankees were due to take up residence Monday. The Marlins were slated to play the Orioles, who, presumably, are already in Miami. The Braves just finished a three-game series against the Mets, on the heels of their exhibition games against the Marlins. The Mets, meanwhile, are headed to Boston to begin a series Monday night at Fenway Park.

Hopefully, this outbreak is confined to the Marlins. However, you can easily see how one team's outbreak could cause the whole house of cards to crumble. For now, we already know that the Yankees-Phillies game for Monday has been postponed, so at least those two teams have been tangibly impacted in addition to the Marlins. -- Doolittle

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Florida starting to open back up [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Races in Clermont now cancelled.
https://www.facebook.com/...158561623593188/?d=n

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Florida starting to open back up [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Now maybe people will stop believing that IMFL will happen.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Florida starting to open back up [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Halvard wrote:
First of all I think the best thing to do is to compare western countries.
But I do not understand why it is divisive to point out facts. Facts like how open is the society at this stage. Traveling, Death rate, Or what the head of state is saying. Would it be divisive to reference what Merkel is saying, or is that just for the USA.

To have a fruitful discussion we have to look at facts.
Decisions have consequences.
If you base you policies on fairy tails you will be in trouble.

The virus is not political, politicians are.

I have no problem criticizing Norway. There are a lot of things in this country that I do not agree with.
But I also live in a place where my son went back to school in May. Where he could take part in track and team handball practices.
Where people mostly followed the guidelines.
Where mostly everything has been up and running during.
Where you can travel abroad, but of course not to Sweden.

Elections have consequences. And now we can see that clearly in different countries........

The virus only cares about humans, not what border we are sitting inside. You said countries should listen to science, and I gave you examples of countries that listened to science until their economies could not longer debt finance it because they are too poor, so you moved the needle and said, "western countries only" and I gave you Montana + Idaho + North and South Dakota having similar numbers to Norway and you said they don't count because they are isolated and Norwegians travel and people in those states do not (not sure what data you base that on, but I'll give it to you), so it seems like you want to just bring it back to Americans can't make correct decisions because their leader does not listen to science (I agree with you) and Norway is better than America because it does.

Achillesheal is basically saying that every country that squashes the virus (and I live in Canada where we are close) is still "stuck on our island" until a vaccine comes out because the virus is a bit out of hand worldwide

I was just checking the last numbers as of today.
Norway has 47 deaths per 1 mill

Here you have the results from the states you listed:
Montana: 65
Idaho:128
North Dakota: 144
South Dakota: 163

And remember that Norwegians can travel this summer, schools have been open, retail was open the whole time, and no masks.

So the question has to be. How is this possible when the people in those countries most likely have not traveled abroad this summer.

Then you have to look at how people behave and hove their state and federal government is handling the situation.

Remember.
We all have the same information......
Quote Reply

Prev Next