Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

UCI stop an hour record
Quote | Reply
UCI vetos hour record attempt.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/...pic-velodrome-454291

'Bad for the image if cycling'.
Yeah. Like the UCI has did wonders for it by brushing doping under the carpet for 2 decades.
Or is it a case of 'we can't be arsed getting out of our Swiss alpine retreats or get someone more local to witness it' ?
Quote Reply
Re: UCI stop an hour record [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, sad and I agree, these attempts are usually done solo without much crowds if any... just him, a timer, a camera person and a witness with probably hundreds, if not thousands of us desperate for racing watching a live stream would be great for cycling about now.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: UCI stop an hour record [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
was it the guy who won the IM VR2 aged in his late 40's
Quote Reply
Re: UCI stop an hour record [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hadukla wrote:
Wow, sad and I agree, these attempts are usually done solo without much crowds if any... just him, a timer, a camera person and a witness with probably hundreds, if not thousands of us desperate for racing watching a live stream would be great for cycling about now.

For an international attempt (which this sounds like it would be) you need an international commissaire and the official timing crew from Tissot (Switzerland). There's lots of cogs in the wheel for an international attempt, it's not just 2-3 people with a stopwatch and a camera. He could do without those and make it unofficial, but doesn't sound like he wants that.

Aren't the borders closed to the UK? In that case, I don't think goverment would allow it anyway?
Quote Reply
Re: UCI stop an hour record [MTM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is controversy in strongman world too now. Thor is going to try beating eddie hall's strapped 500kg record, as he currently has the fitness. He invited judges, has sponsors and all. Why not. If the person is fit to do it let them shoot for the moon. This would be akin to stopping kipchoge and his sub 2 attempt.
Quote Reply
Re: UCI stop an hour record [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Simple really - if you could do it on your own with a camera fine. As stated by others in this thread you need a group of people to do a record. At the moment gathering people together has the potential to result in death. A marathon time or deadlift in my mind isn't worth a life
Last edited by: Lazydoc: Apr 19, 20 6:54
Quote Reply
Re: UCI stop an hour record [Lazydoc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lazydoc wrote:
Simple really - if you could do it on your own with a camera fine. As stated by others in this thread you need a group of people to do a record. At the moment gathering people together has the potential to result in death. A marathon time or deadlift in my mind isn't worth a life

True. But on the other hand, the UCI could show some creativity, and work to make it happen. The problems don't seem insurmountable. Remote officiating and remote monitoring of the timing equipment, etc. Not sure about doping control - that sounds harder to do remotely. Maybe they tried, though, and just couldn't make it work.
Quote Reply
Re: UCI stop an hour record [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Lazydoc wrote:

True. But on the other hand, the UCI could show some creativity, and work to make it happen. The problems don't seem insurmountable. Remote officiating and remote monitoring of the timing equipment, etc. Not sure about doping control - that sounds harder to do remotely. Maybe they tried, though, and just couldn't make it work.

this. People need a pick me up. If the UCI was saavy, they would have allowed this, publicized it and did a live stream. At this point, the lack of sport really has people at low morale, give us something. It would help out some sponsors and if you can't safely coordinate a half dozen people to officiate a lone rider in an empty velodrome, then world is going to have big F'in problems trying to re-open.
Last edited by: tri_yoda: Apr 19, 20 23:27
Quote Reply
Re: UCI stop an hour record [tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tri_yoda wrote:
trail wrote:
Lazydoc wrote:

this. People need a pick me up. If the UCI was saavy, they would have allowed this, publicized it and did a live stream. At this point, the lack of sport really has people at low morale, give us something. It would help out some sponsors and if you can't safely coordinate a half dozen people to officiate a lone rider in an empty velodrome, then world is going to have big F'in problems trying to re-open.

I hear you, but that's not how it works at the top levels of sport. There are elements of a world record attempt that need officials there in person. Not to mention, the officials required to validate that sort of attempt tend to require your highest levels of certification. With many laws preventing crossing of borders, even if the UCI wanted to try and make it work, they would have difficulties getting the officials in place. Not to mention facility access, with mandated closures... Sure you could have officials remotely watching the livestream (as long as it doesn't go down) for things like overt cheating, counting laps, outside assistance... But you can't walk the track with a calibration wheel to certify the distance over a livestrem... You can't walk with a wheel to figure out how far someone makes it after they start a lap when the time expires... You can't check a bike in a measuring jig remotely, nor can you scan for a motor, etc.
It's be great to try and make something happen, I mean the audience is read, look at how many are logging in to watch livestreams of Zwift races these days, but unfortunately an official world record attempt is going to be really hard to do until some of these public health measures are eased.
Quote Reply
Re: UCI stop an hour record [Trauma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trauma wrote:

I hear you, but that's not how it works at the top levels of sport. There are elements of a world record attempt that need officials there in person. Not to mention, the officials required to validate that sort of attempt tend to require your highest levels of certification. With many laws preventing crossing of borders, even if the UCI wanted to try and make it work, they would have difficulties getting the officials in place. Not to mention facility access, with mandated closures... Sure you could have officials remotely watching the livestream (as long as it doesn't go down) for things like overt cheating, counting laps, outside assistance... But you can't walk the track with a calibration wheel to certify the distance over a livestrem... You can't walk with a wheel to figure out how far someone makes it after they start a lap when the time expires... You can't check a bike in a measuring jig remotely, nor can you scan for a motor, etc.
It's be great to try and make something happen, I mean the audience is read, look at how many are logging in to watch livestreams of Zwift races these days, but unfortunately an official world record attempt is going to be really hard to do until some of these public health measures are eased.

You sound like you'd do really well with a job at the UCI. :)
Quote Reply
Re: UCI stop an hour record [Lazydoc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lazydoc wrote:

you know people died doing their best sporting effort pre-covid19 times?

it doesnt take many people to make these kind of records. 6 feet+ distance easy to maintain. You just need 3 judges and one athlete. They dont need to be breathing down each other's neck at the same time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not talking about the athlete - chances are theyd be fine if they caught it. Talking about the elderly relative of someone there who would be in a higher risk group.

I also dont think it sets a good example at present anyway. The whole point of these public health measures is to stay at home. Zwift racing etc fantastic. Going to a velodrome and setting an hour record when there is a full lockdown in countries like spain.... seems myopic

The situations crap. It will pass and we can get back to normal at some point. We just need to be sensible for now
Last edited by: Lazydoc: Apr 20, 20 9:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
This would be akin to stopping kipchoge and his sub 2 attempt.

Not really, Kipchoge's sub 2 attempt was never going to be an official world record and they knew that.

This guy going for an unofficial record, while drafting behind a rotating group of pacers would be akin to the Kipchoge attempt ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: UCI stop an hour record [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cartsman wrote:
synthetic wrote:
This would be akin to stopping kipchoge and his sub 2 attempt.

Not really, Kipchoge's sub 2 attempt was never going to be an official world record and they knew that.

This guy going for an unofficial record, while drafting behind a rotating group of pacers would be akin to the Kipchoge attempt ;-)

missing the point. kipchoge could have went for official WR if he didnt have the rotating pacers. This guy is not looking for advantages like that.

side note... with the magic bouncy shoes all run 2017+ road records should be invalidated.
Quote Reply