Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New bike purchase help!
Quote | Reply
So my Speedmax bit the dust yesterday. It has been a lemon of a bike for me and itā€™s time for me to move on!
As much as Iā€™d like to replace my Speedmax with another TT bike, itā€™s not hugely practical as I live in the Swiss Alps. Practically I can only afford one new bike so Iā€™ve all but convinced myself I should return to an aero road bike (I previously owned a Felt AR) instead of a TT, especially given that this tri season is pretty much a bust.
Iā€™m currently building a spreadsheet except my list seems overly lengthy and Iā€™m looking for some help to narrow it down! Basic requirements are Ultegra mech or Di2 and not overly fussed with disc brakes although I donā€™t think there are many non-disc bikes left in the aero bike space these days. Hit me up with your opinions - bikes you love, bikes you hate and help me decide!
Quote Reply
Re: New bike purchase help! [suissetrigirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What's wrong with your Speedmax?
Quote Reply
Re: New bike purchase help! [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Curious as to why you don't want another Felt?.
A bike that I have been eyeing is the Bianchi Aria, it seems like a really good value and can still be had with rim brakes (not to be confused with the e bike of the same name)

----------------------------
http://www.instagram.com/cyclewise
Last edited by: trener1: Apr 17, 20 8:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Assuming you are looking to dump the TTā€¦.For aero road bikes the Trek Madone comes in a frame set that doesn't use disc brakes but then I think you have to put up with the even fussier Trek aero brakes on the fork. There aren't very many true aero bikes without disc brakes. If you accept disc then the SystemSix or Venge should be on the short list to consider.

What about something that is quasi aero? Something like the new Cannondale Supersix Evo. It comes in non-disc and can be built with either ultegra mech or Di2. The Knot stem/bars combo is nice if you travel with the bike as it is aero and also allows for easy disassembly to be put in a case. Ride and handling are fantastic and spec/built the right way can be a great all-rounder. Really, you could take any of the newer generation road bikes (although nondisc are getting harder to find) with truncated aero tubes and use a good aero cockpit to make the bikes fairly slippery. If you look at the data from Cannondale on the new Evo the aero cockpit and hidden cabling is what makes it more aero than the competition. While none are quite as aero as full on aero road bikes, they will be lighter, more compliant and arguably a better all-rounder. The specialized Tarmac would be an option too built with the right components and cockpit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BMC Teammachine SLR01! It is still available with rim brakes and, although its considered an all-rounder, is pretty aero still. I have a disc brake version, but I can't imagine the rim brake version "feels" any different when riding.
Quote Reply
Re: New bike purchase help! [kerikstri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kerikstri wrote:
BMC Teammachine SLR01! It is still available with rim brakes and, although its considered an all-rounder, is pretty aero still. I have a disc brake version, but I can't imagine the rim brake version "feels" any different when riding.

Yeah I have the same bike, love it. I've got the 2019, disc, Dura Ace Di2.
Quote Reply
Re: New bike purchase help! [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is that the blue/grey one? I have a 2018 ultegra di2 that's in the old BMC cycling teams red. They are beautiful bikes too! Fast but still comfy enough to ride all day. The only complaint I have is that I'm pretty sure the max tire width is 25. I'd love to put 28 GP5000s on it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you going to add clip-on aero bars?

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The previous generation Cervelo S5 is a great aero road bike, aero enough but none of the internal cable mess of the newer generation of disc aero road bikes. Speaking of which, the current generation Specialized Venge is also a good choice - it's disc brake only though. As I mentioned on another thread, I was pleasantly surprised that the Venge could accommodate tires up to 38mm, so I've rode it as gravel bike here and there with a gravel wheelset (33mm tires).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kerikstri wrote:
Is that the blue/grey one? I have a 2018 ultegra di2 that's in the old BMC cycling teams red. They are beautiful bikes too! Fast but still comfy enough to ride all day. The only complaint I have is that I'm pretty sure the max tire width is 25. I'd love to put 28 GP5000s on it.

Grey and red

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
What's wrong with your Speedmax?
The hanger sortof broke off (no crash involved...). Except instead of the hanger actually snapping off as intended, it wore through at the screw hole on the frame so now part of the frame is left inside the hanger. Hoping a carbon repair shop can fix it but itā€™s just been yet another problem Iā€™ve had with the bike. I know plenty of people love their Canyons but Iā€™m over it!
Quote Reply
Re: New bike purchase help! [trener1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trener1 wrote:
Curious as to why you don't want another Felt?.
A bike that I have been eyeing is the Bianchi Aria, it seems like a really good value and can still be had with rim brakes (not to be confused with the e bike of the same name)

Never said I donā€™t want another Felt šŸ˜€. I loved that bike but it was sadly stolen. The new Felt AR (finally updated for 2020) is most definitely on my shortlist!
Ive got the Bianchi Oltre on my shortlist as well. They have several versions with rim brakes which means I could use my nice wheelset with them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Picture?
Quote Reply
Re: New bike purchase help! [bet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bet wrote:
Assuming you are looking to dump the TTā€¦.For aero road bikes the Trek Madone comes in a frame set that doesn't use disc brakes but then I think you have to put up with the even fussier Trek aero brakes on the fork. There aren't very many true aero bikes without disc brakes. If you accept disc then the SystemSix or Venge should be on the short list to consider.

What about something that is quasi aero? Something like the new Cannondale Supersix Evo. It comes in non-disc and can be built with either ultegra mech or Di2. The Knot stem/bars combo is nice if you travel with the bike as it is aero and also allows for easy disassembly to be put in a case. Ride and handling are fantastic and spec/built the right way can be a great all-rounder. Really, you could take any of the newer generation road bikes (although nondisc are getting harder to find) with truncated aero tubes and use a good aero cockpit to make the bikes fairly slippery. If you look at the data from Cannondale on the new Evo the aero cockpit and hidden cabling is what makes it more aero than the competition. While none are quite as aero as full on aero road bikes, they will be lighter, more compliant and arguably a better all-rounder. The specialized Tarmac would be an option too built with the right components and cockpit.

Yes - plan to sell the Speedmax and will eventually get another TT bike in its place. System Six and Venge both on the list - this is why Iā€™m having such issues as my list is rather lengthy šŸ¤£. Iā€™m not trying to avoid disc brakes - I know the industry has shifted in that direction so they are inevitable. Itā€™s really just a case of personally finding them unnecessary on anything other than a mountain bike!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kerikstri wrote:
I do have the TimeMachine Road version on my list. I hired a Teammachine last year in Mallorca and rode the 70.3 course. Was really impressed with it! Disc brakes are fine and Iā€™m not ruling anything out on that basis.
Quote Reply
Re: New bike purchase help! [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jim@EROsports wrote:
Are you going to add clip-on aero bars?
Quite likely. Depends on what I end up doing with my Speedmax. But there are a few tris with excessive climbing where Iā€™d rather race on a roadie!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Trek Madone, Cervelo S5 (new version) and Giant Propel all have versions or options with proprietry Tri bar options. I have been researching this myself recently.
Quote Reply
Re: New bike purchase help! [Xplombier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Xplombier wrote:
The Trek Madone, Cervelo S5 (new version) and Giant Propel all have versions or options with proprietry Tri bar options. I have been researching this myself recently.

Yes - was looking at the Madone "Speed" version with aero bars and was wondering if they were proprietary bars. Cervelo is another bike on my list!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
Picture?

Planning to have it assessed by carbon repair shop. Hearing mixed replies on fixing it.
Last edited by: suissetrigirl: Apr 18, 20 4:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Picture doesnā€™t seem to post. šŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™€ļø
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
suissetrigirl wrote:
Quite likely. Depends on what I end up doing with my Speedmax. But there are a few tris with excessive climbing where Iā€™d rather race on a roadie!

Though they're getting tougher to find, you might want to consider a frame with a round seatpost so you can use a Redshift post. It would allow for a better aero position while still maintaining a good road position for climbing and descending. The aero gains you're likely to get from the better position will far outweigh any reduction an aero frame will provide, and also allow you more aero bar choices, both in types and positioning, than any of the proprietary designs.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
suissetrigirl wrote:
So my Speedmax bit the dust yesterday. It has been a lemon of a bike for me and itā€™s time for me to move on!
As much as Iā€™d like to replace my Speedmax with another TT bike, itā€™s not hugely practical as I live in the Swiss Alps. Practically I can only afford one new bike so Iā€™ve all but convinced myself I should return to an aero road bike (I previously owned a Felt AR) instead of a TT, especially given that this tri season is pretty much a bust.
Iā€™m currently building a spreadsheet except my list seems overly lengthy and Iā€™m looking for some help to narrow it down! Basic requirements are Ultegra mech or Di2 and not overly fussed with disc brakes although I donā€™t think there are many non-disc bikes left in the aero bike space these days. Hit me up with your opinions - bikes you love, bikes you hate and help me decide!

I have the newest generation S-works Tarmac, and it is an outrageously good bike especially in the mountains, but if you want full-on aero then I vote Specialized Venge.

Colorado Triathlon Company, CO2UT 2021, Crooked Gravel 2022, Steamboat Gravel 2022
Last edited by: boilerup: Apr 19, 20 8:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just picked up a 2019 Cannondale SystemSix at discount from Sigma Sports out of the UK. Theyā€™ve still got 51cm frames in stock but that means youā€™d have to build it up and fit that size.

Brett Z

ā€œLivinā€™ in a van down by the riverā€
Quote Reply