Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

PowerTap P1 pedals: “right pedal missing” and “power meter battery low” with new batteries
Quote | Reply
Anybody experienced this? Dual sided P1 pedals with Garmin Edge 520. Getting messages saying “right pedal missing” and “power meter battery low” with brand new batteries. Weird thing is the power meter functions fine. No dropout or anything.
Quote Reply
Re: PowerTap P1 pedals: “right pedal missing” and “power meter battery low” with new batteries [triguy86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triguy86 wrote:
Anybody experienced this? Dual sided P1 pedals with Garmin Edge 520. Getting messages saying “right pedal missing” and “power meter battery low” with brand new batteries. Weird thing is the power meter functions fine. No dropout or anything.

Right power sensor missing is a known issue that's never been resolved. As for the batteries, if you don't have lithium in there it's really hit or miss.
Quote Reply
Re: PowerTap P1 pedals: “right pedal missing” and “power meter battery low” with new batteries [Vols] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: PowerTap P1 pedals: “right pedal missing” and “power meter battery low” with new batteries [triguy86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ditto the "right pedal missing." This was a problem with firmware that caused frequent errors. They did updates that significantly reduced the occurrences, but did not entirely eliminate them. So, make sure your firmware is up to date.

And ditto the batteries. Definitely do not use alkaline batteries.
Quote Reply
Re: PowerTap P1 pedals: “right pedal missing” and “power meter battery low” with new batteries [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
Ditto the "right pedal missing." This was a problem with firmware that caused frequent errors. They did updates that significantly reduced the occurrences, but did not entirely eliminate them. So, make sure your firmware is up to date.

And ditto the batteries. Definitely do not use alkaline batteries.

Y’all are right about the batteries. Just looked back at the manual. It does say “we STRONGLY recommend using lithium batteries”.

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not to get too nerdy, but what’s the deal with lithium? Conduct differently?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had the same issue for a while, even after updating the firmware.

I'm not sure if there's a way to turn off Bluetooth on a Garmin head unit (I can't find the menu on my 820), but I do know that the P1 pedals are single sided when they connect via Bluetooth.

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: PowerTap P1 pedals: “right pedal missing” and “power meter battery low” with new batteries [thatzone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why lithium?
  1. Lithium batteries do not leak and swell from continuous low drain
  2. Lithium batteries are lighter

Quote Reply
Re: PowerTap P1 pedals: “right pedal missing” and “power meter battery low” with new batteries [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe I’m wrong since I ditched them a long time ago, but I thought that even if it said “right pedal missing, that didn’t necessarily mean the right pedal was not working. In fact, mine worked fine despite that regular notification on my computer.
Quote Reply
Re: PowerTap P1 pedals: “right pedal missing” and “power meter battery low” with new batteries [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
I thought that even if it said “right pedal missing, that didn’t necessarily mean the right pedal was not working.
Correct, it was a false error. It was a timing issue between the pedals and Garmin head units when the pedals were waking up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I always just thought it was because (as I understand it which might be wrong) only the left pedal actually transmits to the head unit, after collecting data from the right pedal, and the garmin is looking for info from both

Had the since P1 and the issue seems to come and go.
Quote Reply
Re: PowerTap P1 pedals: “right pedal missing” and “power meter battery low” with new batteries [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mostly... the Garmin never connects to the right pedal. It is the left pedal sending the "no right pedal" message to the Garmin incorrectly as the whole system is collectively waking up and connecting to one another.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been getting this a lot since owning the edge 530. When it happens I go to check the power metrics screen and can see the right side showing next to 0 temporarily until it kicks back in again. Strange.

I also received a power meter battery low message on the head unit 2 weeks ago. I checked this on the powertap mobile app and it showed both pedals as up to date and full battery. I have the new type end caps.

To be fully sure, I removed both batteries and checked voltage (5 mins or so after use) and had 1.49 (R) and 1.54 (L). A brand new emergizer ultimate lithium is showing me 1.8, so they are lower as expected but far from dead.

Dont know if this is a Garmin issue or powertap fault
Quote Reply
Re: PowerTap P1 pedals: “right pedal missing” and “power meter battery low” with new batteries [chatlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Garmin pedals have the same issue so I assume it’s garmin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can ignore the first, I got a pair of refurbs directly from Cyclops and they insisted it was OK.
I get the 2nd about 3 times before I worry and recharge the batteries.
As someone else suggested, don't even think of using non-lithium.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
triguy86 wrote:

I had a run of the same issues with my P1s. Finally got sick of it, sold them and got assiomas. Best decision ever - had zero hick ups with them.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: PowerTap P1 pedals: “right pedal missing” and “power meter battery low” with new batteries [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks all - I have always stuck to the lithium energizer batteries so that wont be the issue.

I actually removed both batteries yesterday for a couple of mins and the ride afterwards only had 1 warning message when I had been stopped for a minute or two. So if this continues, then I am happy. Hope so, cause I love the pedals, been so consistent.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can’t assist with the right pedal however I just had this issue this week with the battery. The spring on the battery cap wasn’t touching the battery sufficiently so I pulled the spring with some pliers to ensure it was indeed touching the battery. 4 hour ride yesterday and no issues. I also use a 520 plus. Good luck!
Quote Reply