Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Running Shoe Recommendation
Quote | Reply
Hi everyone,

With 2020 looking like itā€™s pretty much going to be a wash out for any races Iā€™ve turned my focus to 2021, more specifically a 74 mile ultra.

What Iā€™m looking for is some running shoe recommendations. The race is about 80% road and 20% trail, with the trail not being anything that requires an aggressive tread.

This one is definitely more of a fun day out and Iā€™ll be looking to complete not compete. What Iā€™m looking for is a running shoe that is going to soak up super comfy miles and be as light as possible. I know running shoes can be a very personal preference but Iā€™m keen to get your thoughts on what could be good options to look at?

Cheers,
Tim
Last edited by: t1mmy: Apr 14, 20 4:24
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer Recommendation [t1mmy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What is your budget?
Check out dc rainmakers reviews

https://www.google.com/...r-2019-2020.html/amp
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer Recommendation [t1mmy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A trainer probably isn't right for you. I think you need rollers.

The stationary nature of trainers adds a significantly level of discomfort. Adding movement via a rocker plate or something like the Kinetic Rock and Roll helps a lot in terms of comfort but adds weight and bulk. With rollers you get even more freedom of motion without the weight. Trainers are good for short sharp sessions with lots of intensity changes. If you are just going to grind the miles go with rollers.
Quote Reply
Re: Running Shoe Recommendation [t1mmy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your replies. I think itā€™s been a bit lost in translation so Iā€™ve edited the title, by ā€˜trainersā€™ I mean ā€˜running shoesā€™
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd look at Altra, either the Paradigm or the Olympus. Hokas are also worth a look.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Again it depends on your budget, but I have fun in On Running, Nike, Inov-8, Asics, Merrell and Skechers and recently Hoka. If you are looking for something to run in daily Clifton 6 (the 7 is now out or about to be out so they are discounted in a lot of places), Skechers also has good value (the GoRun series), I tried one pair of Asics and hated them (running shoes are very individual and lots of people love their shoes), my Nike are the original 4% which I like but have too much drop (10mm) so in the future will stay away from that. In the end you have to try shoes , but its all about your budget and purpose. I have a rotation but if you dont have that and want one shoe to rule them all then the Clifton could be for you.

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
t1mmy wrote:
Hi everyone,

With 2020 looking like itā€™s pretty much going to be a wash out for any races Iā€™ve turned my focus to 2021, more specifically a 74 mile ultra.

What Iā€™m looking for is some running shoe recommendations. The race is about 80% road and 20% trail, with the trail not being anything that requires an aggressive tread.

This one is definitely more of a fun day out and Iā€™ll be looking to complete not compete. What Iā€™m looking for is a running shoe that is going to soak up super comfy miles and be as light as possible. I know running shoes can be a very personal preference but Iā€™m keen to get your thoughts on what could be good options to look at?

Cheers,
Tim

This is a very individual question and depends a lot on how your feet and stride work.

But my general answer would be: run the race in whatever your feet are happy in as training shoes day-in, day-out. Test different shoes over this coming year and buy up a few extra pairs of whatever feels best on your feet. For a 74-mile ultra that's 80% road and that you're looking to just complete, there should be no need for race-day shoes that are different from what you wear (and ideally wore out several pairs of) in training.

Based on following the above advice for my feet, I'd go with NB 880s.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agree with last poster, too individual for people to give an accurate answer.

Assuming you are in North America, there are so many places you can order from that have easy free returns, just go ahead and order a bunch of different shoes to try on. ON, New Balance, Hoka, etc etc all easy to return stuff to.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
t1mmy wrote:
Hi everyone,

Cheers,
Tim

Hoka Rincon
https://www.hokaoneone.com/.../rincon/1102874.html
It's the first Hoka that I really like running in. Other Hokas had too much cushion. You couldn't feel much texture of curbs and the like. The Rincon is like a plush version of say, a Nike Pegasus. Super light and comfortable. Knock on wood, have been pretty injury free using them for ~200 miles so far.
They are 1/2 size larger; meaning I normally wear 11.5 but sized down to an 11.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ya shoes are super personal. I swap between Nike Zoom Fly, Newton Distance and Altra Torin. For longer trail runs, I prefer the Torin but my max time on the trail is like 2.5 hours.

Brett Z

ā€œLivinā€™ in a van down by the riverā€
Quote Reply