Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Paula Findlay takes Mt. Lemmon QOM [Eric_Lagerstrom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm going to show this video to everyone that says they can't climb on a tri bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Paula Findlay takes Mt. Lemmon QOM [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, this is great to see, thanks for posting it. Dream wattage!

I think strava KOM's by pro's will be huge this year with so little racing and the desire to compete.

I know there are local climbs here and some young pros stuck back in town solo training and it will be great to see what times they get.

All climbing KOM's will go down around here.
Quote Reply
Re: Paula Findlay takes Mt. Lemmon QOM [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Curious how much time she'd take off if Trek sent her an Emonda SLR 9.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Eric. Did you say the past winner was drafting off a pack for the first half. I know it is not a real competition, but at those paces with a tail wind too pack. Don't you think that would have a huge factor on that climb, side note I have never done this climb but based of the times it looks like more of an aerobar TT then a mt climb.

Technique will always last longer then energy production. Improve biomechanics, improve performance.
http://Www.anthonytoth.ca, triathletetoth@twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Paula Findlay takes Mt. Lemmon QOM [vanchize] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For a solo attempt, an aero road bike with clipons might be the fastest setup (though a pure TT bike is probably only marginally slower).

The fastest bike is probably a road bike with a team going after the KOM. The leader stays sheltered as the domestiques sacrifice themselves in the wind and pacing on the climb. If a world tour team tackled it like that it would pretty much be out of reach of any solo attempt.

That's the thing with Strava KoM/QoMs, it's often as much about the conditions (weather, other riders) than the rider themselves.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Paula Findlay takes Mt. Lemmon QOM [vanchize] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
She'd probably go slower. I've done that climb, it's not steep, just really long.
Quote Reply
Re: Paula Findlay takes Mt. Lemmon QOM [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"For a solo attempt, an aero road bike with clipons might be the fastest setup (though a pure TT bike is probably only marginally slower).

the bike doesn't matter at all. compare watts and watts per kg and you will see it makes no difference. AS long as it fits the rider and works well enough to produce 5 watts per kg and not break or bend.

The fastest bike is probably a road bike with a team going after the KOM. The leader stays sheltered as the domestiques sacrifice themselves in the wind and pacing on the climb. If a world tour team tackled it like that it would pretty much be out of reach of any solo attempt.

Yes that is why Tour de france guys/teams don't focus on these things like triathletes do. they team ride for the best results to get a teammate to the finish first. triathletes are very solo individuals and just compare their numbers and splits as individuals.

That's the thing with Strava KoM/QoMs, it's often as much about the conditions (weather, other riders) than the rider themselves.

It sure is. I have never met a person go faster into a wind with the same personal best wattage. Also group riding is a big factor.

Technique will always last longer then energy production. Improve biomechanics, improve performance.
Quote Reply
Re: Paula Findlay takes Mt. Lemmon QOM [Triathletetoth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think we need a redo...

https://www.strava.com/segments/12339842 check women list
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for filming and posting this. Awesome, awesome vid.
Quote Reply
Re: Paula Findlay takes Mt. Lemmon QOM [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
can you explain. It will be easier. Is it that they started not at the bottom?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
I think we need a redo...

https://www.strava.com/segments/12339842 check women list

i mean, she wasn't trying to get this one...?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Triathletetoth wrote:
can you explain. It will be easier. Is it that they started not at the bottom?

if easier then let them show us. And yea, a mountain is climbed pretty much from bottom to top
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That segment is pretty soft.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TRUE.

although strava seems to be about segments that are just created. I don't get it or do it.

The problem with strava is time over distance has so many factor it tells us very little.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Except when the gate is closed at the ski hill.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm going to show this video to everyone that says they can't climb on a tri bike.

On Mt Lemmon, a tri bike is not a bad call for a record attempt like this. It never get's really steep. There are longer sections at less than 5%, false flats even a couple of slight downhills. Staying in aero position as much as you can, moving at the speed these top athletes are moving at is HUGELY helpful!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: Apr 21, 20 7:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
I'm going to show this video to everyone that says they can't climb on a $12k tri bike.

^ fixed.

- Jordan

My Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I mean, when "Tour de France guys" are trying to cover as much ground in the least time possible, they are all on TT bikes in full aero kit.
Quote Reply
Re: Paula Findlay takes Mt. Lemmon QOM [FishOutofWater] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is what i was saying. Just didn't do a good job in quoting the person I was replying too.

Quote Reply

Prev Next