Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Mass Start All Comers Kona 2020
Quote | Reply
I know there are other channels out there with different info and speculation, but IMO there's a good chance that there will either be no Kona or a very different Kona than what we're used to this year. So far, athletes have qualified from August 2019 up to about 1 March 2020. My proposal:

1. Cancel qualification outright for Kona 2020. All qualified athletes will be automatically qualified for 2021. Resume 2021 qualifying where we left off, on 1 March 2021. Conduct Kona 2021 as usual.

2. Mass Start All Comers Kona 2020. Literally anyone and everyone who can make it to the Big Island in October 2020. Pro Race as usual at 6AM.

3. The Hawaii Ironman race starts with an age graded "prologue" run from the end of Ali'i Drive, or the Airport, or whatever, to the swim start. No bikes at the pier.

4. First 2,000 to DIg Me Beach on the prologue may enter the swim and complete the race. The 2,000 slots are distributed proportionally on the fly according to historical Kona Age Group entry numbers or 2019-2020 extrapolated Age Group numbers.

5. If you make it into the water, your support group gets a text and has one hour to get your bike sorted and down to the pier. Support groups may not use cars in Kailua Town at all. If you don't make it into the water, you become a "volunteer". You will be "voluntold" where you will be working.

6. $2K to enter, w/ $1K to a COVID-19 PPE related charity, $250 to Anti-Doping, $500 to the usual Kailua-Kona and Big Island charities, and $500 for the entrance fee. One week minimum stay.

7. For those who don't make the cut into the water and to the mandatory "volunteering" at aid stations and the like, Race Director and Swim, Bike, and Run captains will have to wrangle "volunteers" on the spot. Facebook Live will do reality shows about each team captain's nightmare experience.

8. Underpants and decorative face mask/PPE run will be *lit*.

9. Mandatory social/physical distancing on bike and run.

10. Strava timed... flyby function, etc. by AG. Winners receive glory for life.

E

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

ā€œYou are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.ā€
Quote Reply
Re: Mass Start All Comers Kona 2020 [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well step one doesn't necessarily sound impossible anyway

Me: https://carnivoreendurance.blogspot.com/...ever-comes-next.html

Latest: Colorectal Cancer is in the News Again. Don't Blame Red Meat
https://carnivoreendurance.blogspot.com/...news-again-dont.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds.........

Complicated

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Number 1 makes a lot of sense and is reasonably plausible.

The rest I think, neither is true. If you canā€™t do a version of the real thing its likely because of public heath concerns. If thatā€™s true it would be hard to stage a local 5k let alone whatever this thing is.

If Iā€™m IM, Iā€™m not going to cheapen my biggest asset.

However, I applaud your creativity and love the ideation. There is a world where the old model of mass participation sports changes fundamentally. Sorta like I never shake another personā€™s hand again and people have tinder first dates on Zoom. We can already see some of it with Zwift and IMVR.

Itā€™s not out of the question at some point we regale our grandkids with tales of races with 30,000 people that all started at the same time. 30 years from now that might seem really weird. Sorta like having snow on the ground and skiing.

The times they are a changinā€™. Creative solutions, like yours (though not yours most likely) may replace the old world of endurance sports that we grew up loving...

Randy Christofferson(http://www.rcmioga.blogspot.com

Insert Doubt. Erase Hope. Crush Dreams.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you live on the Big Island would you want thousands of athletes from all 4 corners of the globe descending on you this year? We are half way through April already and deaths are not showing much sign of slowing and we are probably many months away from a vaccine. Kona 2020 in any form at all? I donā€™t think so.
Quote Reply
Re: Mass Start All Comers Kona 2020 [Joss1965] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I assumed this thread was a joke.....no???

If not, then I Agree with you. With everything going on, I canā€™t believe his discussion is somehow focusing on what IM would want to do. The proposal fails to appreciate how protective Hawaii is over its island and people. This event just isnā€™t that important to the island. Bringing ā€œall comersā€ from all the world together into one area for a race sounds like about the worst idea ever.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Again!?!? šŸ˜‚
Last edited by: Sean H: Apr 11, 20 7:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would like the organizers to recognize my 22 years of entering the Kona lottery without ever being selected and finally giving me my life's dream and #1 bucket list item - a slot to race in Kona.
John
Quote Reply
Re: Mass Start All Comers Kona 2020 [Joss1965] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Joss1965 wrote:
If you live on the Big Island would you want thousands of athletes from all 4 corners of the globe descending on you this year? We are half way through April already and deaths are not showing much sign of slowing and we are probably many months away from a vaccine. Kona 2020 in any form at all? I donā€™t think so.

This thread was satire.

Well except for the restart KQ process where we left off next March.

ā€œYou are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.ā€
Quote Reply
Re: Mass Start All Comers Kona 2020 [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
I assumed this thread was a joke.....no???

Yes, a joke.

My main hobbyhorse since late FEB has been the race cancellation subset of FB and Twitter.

So except for #1, the rest is just not happening.

But, I canā€™t win. If I post realistically about the issues, Iā€™m negative. If I post a light hearted post, people take me to task on the issues.

Carry on!

Quote Reply
Re: Mass Start All Comers Kona 2020 [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Surely you must recognize my satire by now...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
9. Mandatory social/physical distancing on bike

This might be the most ridiculous part of this proposal :)

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sorry I didn't fully appreciate the satire! My brain is a bit overloaded right now!

However, I do think number 1 is a good thought!

Randy Christofferson(http://www.rcmioga.blogspot.com

Insert Doubt. Erase Hope. Crush Dreams.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
Surely you must recognize my satire by now...

I thought it might be drunken ramblings until I read:

5. If you make it into the water, your support group gets a text and has one hour to get your bike sorted and down to the pier. Support groups may not use cars in Kailua Town at all. If you don't make it into the water, you become a "volunteer". You will be "voluntold" where you will be working.

I pictured this in my head, and it was truly awesome.
Quote Reply
Re: Mass Start All Comers Kona 2020 [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure what is more entertaining. The actually piece, or the hostile responses.

In the spirit of Phil Hendry.

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok, makes more sense.....but Iā€™ve seen others who seem to post stuff like this in all sincerity. Iā€™m super sarcastic so I appreciate it, just hard to understand it sometimes over the interwebs
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Doh.......šŸ¤£
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swap out the prologue run, for a prologue swim the day before.
(That'll sort out the triathletes who can't be arsed to learn to swim šŸ˜)
Quote Reply
Re: Mass Start All Comers Kona 2020 [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hydrosloth wrote:
Not sure what is more entertaining. The actually piece, or the hostile responses.

In the spirit of Phil Hendry.

Phil Hendry, good one. Yeah the responses irked me, so now I'm thinking how we could *actually* do this, not that we would. I'm tired of people saying what we can't do and not what we can.

1. Yes, public health will be a huge concern. I propose a 2wk mandatory quarantine. Change the 1wk stay to a 3wk minimum stay with a mandatory subscription to a food delivery service. No leaving the condo. This includes all fans, guests, spectators, volunteers, and support crew. Good economic stimulus and can incorporate public health best practices. Epic detraining.

2. Yes, the State of Hawaii, Big Island, and Kailua-Kona residents are protective and concerned, and rightly so. Hopefully the 3wk minimum stay and food and delivery subscription pumps some needed cash into the economy, and some additional precautions listed below will mitigate 100% the public health concerns. Of course it's not our call, it's their decision. Stakeholders.

3. There will need to be a system to handle passengers at the airport, as well as the upstream airports. I don't know if this is an "airlock" system, or a decreased volume and throughput system, or an aggregation system upstream but that will need to be addressed. Probably best to deplane outside as usual but then skip the terminal and go straight to sanitary/isolated/quarantined transportation by way of a medical tent for testing and evaluation and screening. Transport Kona Games participants straight from airport to condos, maybe a bus system contracted from car rental places.

4. Part of the "Kona Qualifying" process for 2020 could include anyone with serum antibodies gets preferential treatment (AWA Platinum), anyone with a negative test for COVID-19 segregated from non-tests (AWA Gold), etc. Additional tests can be done at the airport med tent site and again before completing the quarantine. An additional contract to Big Island or State of Hawaii healthcare workforce, assuming they're not overstressed come October. If they are overworked, the sport contracts to bring additional to the Island, both for the race requirements but also to relieve or augment the local healthcare function.

5. I hear what people are saying about the prologue swim or whatever the day before, but public health has to be paramount. It all has to go off on the same day. People will not leave their quarantine shelter until Saturday morning. Gloves, masks, goggles, gloves and other PPE mandatory (proficiency in PPE part of the "qualification" process, confirmed and evaluated remotely) to leave your quarters and get on the bus. They will be bussed on the dedicated/isolated bus system back to the med tent on the tarmac at the airport which will also be the run prologue start point where everyone will be tested with a rapid turnaround test. Positives will be further isolated and quarantined on the tarmac, negatives allowed to congregate at the start point. Gun fires and people socially distance and/or wear PPE at their own risk. Run route will be cordoned off and considered a contaminated area. This will prevent cross contamination with the local environment but also ensure all "contestants" make it down to the pier to be "voluntold" where they will be working for the day. Dedicated/isolated bus system from pier to volunteer points. Athletes in water are isolated, and will be distanced once on land for the rest of the day.

6. Aid stations will have to be self serve. This cuts waaaaay down on volunteers needed and passenger transportation logistics. This could incentivize more or fewer entrants, I'm not sure. If it disincentivizes then it cuts down on the economic stimulus. More thought needed.

OK, what did I miss?

E

Quote Reply