Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How high can I get my FTP for RAAM 2021?
Quote | Reply
My question for the ST experts is how high can I get my FTP in the next 14 months, and how should I go about it?

Back in Oct 2019 I (foolishily?) committed to doing RAAM at the end of June 2020 as part of a four man relay team. Not surprisingly, RAAM 2020 just got cancelled. So the team is resetting for 2021 and I now have a little over 14 months to prep. There isn’t much training advice out there for RAAM relay training, so I thought I’d put this out to ST for your take and advice.

I’m 52 and 143 lbs. Back in Oct I was essentially coming ‘off the couch’ after a 5 year break from competitive racing and two surgeries to reconstruct my femur after a crash. (was a road racer, and then mostly oly distance tri after road racing ended) Starting back in Oct 2019 I had 9 months to get back into race shape for the June 20th start of RAAM 2020. Not a ton of time, but seemed doable.

I’m not particularly talented athlete, but what I lack in genes I try to make up for with constancy and plain old doggedness. My oly results were consistently top 10%, with the bike leg pulling the train. (the one gift I have is being freakishly aero)

At the start of this training cycle my FTP was a pathetic 2.3 WPK (150 watts) and VO2 max software estimated by Firstbeat at 42. As of now my training has ramped up to 12 ish hours a week, FTP is right around 2.9 WPK (190) and VO2 software estimated at 49. Back when I was most recently racing tri my FTP peaked in the 3.4 WPK range, with bike VO2 software estimated at 52. But that was when I was training swim and run as well.

To date in this cycle I’ve focused on getting fat fuel efficient, increasing long distance endurance, and more recently FTP work with a smattering of over threshold efforts.

Current training:
Mon: rest
Tues: 90 min low Z2
Wed: 90 min, 2x20 over/under ftp, remainder low Z2
Thu and Fri: 90 min low Z2
Sat: 120 min low Z2
Sun: 4-5 hours long ride with 2-4k of climbing and 5% to 10% over threshold efforts (currently 70-80 miles)

Up until the cancellation, I had planned to keep ramping up this general distribution of efforts to about 18-20 hours per week, with a bit more emphasis on FTP work and looking to peak training time in late May for a June 20thstart. My goal was to get FTP to 3.5 WPK (227 watts) and be able to average about 75% of that or 2.65 WPK (170 watts) for the event. For the relay I’ll be sharing the 3000 miles of riding with 3 other riders, so that’s 6 hours a day in 30 min intervals on the road for about 7-8 consecutive days depending on our combined avg speed. Essentially 90-100 miles every 24 hours, broken up into segments of 30 min of ITTing.

I’ve got plenty of time now. With another year, I’d really like to get my FTP as high as possible. Life circumstances are such that I should be able put in up to 20 hours a week of training once my body can take it. What, if anything should I change up training wise, and what’s a realistic FTP target?

Any advice sincerely appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: How high can I get my FTP for RAAM 2021? [nycbiker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would try to be prepared to ride five hours straight twice a day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why just 30 minute pulls. I would think That doesn’t give enough (1.5 hours) rest for good sleep and meals to digest.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Plus the 30 minute pulls would be a lot of time spent swapping riders...

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

RAAM is a very unique event. The other replies/questions/suggestions are from people that aren't very familiar with RAAM and its team races. I have dreamed of a solo attempt. I think a solo may be easier than a 2 or 4 person team do to the scheduling of pulls and the logistics of the crew. I wish you the best.
My $.02 would be to just chill out for a while. Keep riding, even ride a LOT. Ride a lot all though this summer. Ride a lot nice and easy. Ride a little bit really hard. But most of all, keep it enjoyable. It will be a long year. Then towards fall/winter become more specific for the attempt to raise ftp. You'll have a HUGE base for doing that. But for now, just ride and enjoy riding for the sake of riding.
Quote Reply
Re: How high can I get my FTP for RAAM 2021? [JackStraw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JackStraw13 wrote:
Why just 30 minute pulls. I would think That doesn’t give enough (1.5 hours) rest for good sleep and meals to digest.

x2. Having done some (much shorter) 4-man ultras, there is something absolutely magical about getting at least 4-5 hours off. If it were just ~2 days long, I could see 30-minutes maybe working. But RAAM would sound tough.

Plus 30 minutes is super hard on the crew. They're basically spending 100% of the time prepping the next exchange. With, say, a 2:00 leg, they could have slightly more relaxed meals, etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A few ideas that popped into my head from reading your post

some blocks where I'm just trying to ride as many miles as possible
some blocks where my frequency is as high as possible. (2-4x day)
Some blocks where my frequency is high(er), but not necessarily as high as above, and I'm working on extending my TTE on the 2nd/3rd workout of the day
some blocks where I'm doing a lot of threshold/long(ish) intervals/

Sounds fun!

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nycbiker wrote:
I’ve got plenty of time now. With another year, I’d really like to get my FTP as high as possible. Life circumstances are such that I should be able put in up to 20 hours a week of training once my body can take it. What, if anything should I change up training wise, and what’s a realistic FTP target?

There was a local guy who had the 2-man RAAM record for while. His training was lots of miles (think he was up to 700mi/wk), and 1min x10 intervals once a week (balls out). He thought it worked very well.

Their intervals during the race were quite short. I can't recall exactly, but less than 30min would be my guess. He said they tested it and longer intervals were slower. I don't remember what they did for sleep, but they each must have had an extended run once a day so the other could sleep.

Don't look for an "FTP target"... just do the work and see where you land.
Last edited by: rruff: Apr 11, 20 12:07
Quote Reply
Re: How high can I get my FTP for RAAM 2021? [gmh39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It’s a 4 man team... so assuming they would maybe break the squad in 2?

2 dudes swap shifts every 30 min for 4 or 6 hours, then tag out to the other 2 dudes, rinse and repeat for 3000 miles or so lol?
Quote Reply
Re: How high can I get my FTP for RAAM 2021? [MadTownTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MadTownTRI wrote:

2 dudes swap shifts every 30 min for 4 or 6 hours, then tag out to the other 2 dudes, rinse and repeat for 3000 miles or so lol?

Exactly -- 8 hour shifts for 2 of us trading 30 min pulls, then swap with the other 2 guys. That way nobody's always riding at night. 30 min on 30 min off is faster than longer solo stints - it's a race after all.

You can swap bikes too - so TT bike for the flats, and road bike for the mountains.

A friend did the 4-man with 20 min pulls and 2 hour shifts and came in 2nd. But that's super rough on sleep rhythms. Maybe we could have pulled that off when we were younger men.
Quote Reply
Re: How high can I get my FTP for RAAM 2021? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:

Some blocks where my frequency is high(er), but not necessarily as high as above, and I'm working on extending my TTE on the 2nd/3rd workout of the day

Sounds fun!

Thanks DD, these are great training ideas. I'll definitely be looking for some ultra and double century type events if we're allowed to do group events in late summer/fall. Or just be doing those kind of distances by myself.

Like everyone else i'm stuck at home and was thinking of adding in multiple sessions. Maybe even making them 30 min on/ 30 min rest since that's what we'll be doing. I'm a big fan of race simulation efforts.

Question, do you have any ideas on how long the blocks should be?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nycbiker wrote:
desert dude wrote:

Sounds fun!

Thanks DD, these are great training ideas. I'll definitely be looking for some ultra and double century type events if we're allowed to do group events in late summer/fall. Or just be doing those kind of distances by myself.

Like everyone else i'm stuck at home and was thinking of adding in multiple sessions. Maybe even making them 30 min on/ 30 min rest since that's what we'll be doing. I'm a big fan of race simulation efforts.

Question, do you have any ideas on how long the blocks should be?

Get used to riding at night and sleep deprived.For some people it isn't an issue but some people find it very hard to do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nycbiker wrote:
MadTownTRI wrote:

Exactly -- 8 hour shifts for 2 of us trading 30 min pulls, then swap with the other 2 guys. That way nobody's always riding at night. 30 min on 30 min off is faster than longer solo stints - it's a race after all.

You can swap bikes too - so TT bike for the flats, and road bike for the mountains.

A friend did the 4-man with 20 min pulls and 2 hour shifts and came in 2nd. But that's super rough on sleep rhythms. Maybe we could have pulled that off when we were younger men.

That makes more sense.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Question unrelated to FTP :)

Any idea what sort of $$ budget one can deal with and still enjoy RAAM? I have seen some huge numbers and would love to attempt someday.

24 Hour World TT Champs-American record holder
Fat Bike Worlds - Race Director
Insta: chris.s.apex
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nycbiker wrote:

Current training:
Mon: rest
Tues: 90 min low Z2
Wed: 90 min, 2x20 over/under ftp, remainder low Z2
Thu and Fri: 90 min low Z2
Sat: 120 min low Z2
Sun: 4-5 hours long ride with 2-4k of climbing and 5% to 10% over threshold efforts (currently 70-80 miles)

If you want to increase your FTP/VO2max i would use the 80/20 approach. 20% of your Training incredible hard to boost your FTP and VO2Max and 80% easy to get fuel efficient with fat.

Since RAAM is now 14 months away i would put your training of the specific endurance to the side and focus on VO2max/Fat efficiency. You don't have to train 18-20h a week now. Save your energy for the months before the race when it really counts.
Perhaps a little bit strength training with 14 months to go? Your body will thank you later(in a year) ;)

Just my 0.02
Quote Reply
Re: How high can I get my FTP for RAAM 2021? [cmscat50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cmscat50 wrote:
Question unrelated to FTP :)

Any idea what sort of $$ budget one can deal with and still enjoy RAAM? I have seen some huge numbers and would love to attempt someday.

The entrance fees alone are no joke. Early reg is 3k solo, 5k 2-person, 8k 4-person and 14k 8-person. They go up from there for later registrations. Above that crew/operations budgets are all over the place depending on how many creature comforts you want/can afford. Something in the 15-20k range seems in the middle range. But there are certainly people/teams who have done if for less (and a lot more).
Quote Reply
Re: How high can I get my FTP for RAAM 2021? [JackStraw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JackStraw13 wrote:
nycbiker wrote:
MadTownTRI wrote:

That makes more sense.

Yeah, I was a bit surprised at the short pulls myself and found it counter intuitive at first. But apparently that's been shown by past teams to be the fastest. The race doesn't dictate much beyond one of us having to ride every mile. How a team structures the sharing is apparently totally up to them.
Quote Reply
Re: How high can I get my FTP for RAAM 2021? [Chefe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[/quote]

If you want to increase your FTP/VO2max i would use the 80/20 approach. 20% of your Training incredible hard to boost your FTP and VO2Max and 80% easy to get fuel efficient with fat.

Since RAAM is now 14 months away i would put your training of the specific endurance to the side and focus on VO2max/Fat efficiency. You don't have to train 18-20h a week now. Save your energy for the months before the race when it really counts.
Perhaps a little bit strength training with 14 months to go? Your body will thank you later(in a year) ;)

Just my 0.02[/quote]
Thanks Chefe - good points. Probably a good idea to add some strength now that I have more time.
Quote Reply