Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anyone losing an IM streak this year?
Quote | Reply
My first IM was Lanzarote 1999. I went back for 2000 and was then obsessed with completing 3 in a row. I got sick and DNF'ed the 2001 race on the run. I went back and finished in 2002, but was pissed I didn't get the 3 in a row. Due to family/work etc I had to wait until 2013 to try again. This time I went for IM Frankfurt. I did 2013, 2014, and then turned up for 2015 amidst the ridiculous heat wave that had temperatures of about 38C on race day. I limped home for a finish and was over the moon to get my 3 in a row.

This year I was signed up for Hamburg and Arizona, hoping to do that combination for the next 3 years to get a '3 in a row double'. Hamburg has been rescheduled and I probably won't be able to race it, and who knows about Arizona.

Just interested to know if anyone has got any streaks that are at risk this year?

Tubs
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone losing an IM streak this year? [Tubs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Never thought about it that way.....but I've done every tremblant 70.3, so since 2012.........and I've done the full tremblant Ironman 2013, then 2015 onward... so counting from 2015 I've got 5 in a row there (and I sucked at all of them, so thats a cool streak too!...:)), guess that streak will end too. Honestly I'll be very happy if we are all back to racing in 2021.
Last edited by: SBRcanuck: Apr 10, 20 6:59
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone losing an IM streak this year? [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
“I've got 5 in a row there (and I sucked at all of them, so thats a cool streak too!...:)),”
LOL!!!! I can really relate to that. :-)
5 in a row is impressive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't have an IM streak, but I have an outdoor triathlon streak going back to 1983 which includes at least 10 years of IM events. I did an indoor tri in Feb. (pool swim, stationary bike, run on indoor track). I was planning to post a similar question about tri streaks later in the year if it looked more certain that I won't be able to do an outdoor tri this year within a reasonable drive from Ohio.
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Apr 10, 20 8:08
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone losing an IM streak this year? [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1983???? That’s impressive. You were definitely an early adopter then. Which IM’s did you do in your 10 year streak? And what made you stop doing them?
You’d like to think you would get a chance to do an outdoor tri before the end of the year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tubs wrote:
1983???? That’s impressive. You were definitely an early adopter then. Which IM’s did you do in your 10 year streak? And what made you stop doing them?
You’d like to think you would get a chance to do an outdoor tri before the end of the year.

First IM brand tri was Kona in '97. Did Kona, Canada, Florida, Lake Placid multiple times. DNFed first IM Cali (140.6). Had a streak of 8 years with IM 140.6 finishes ending in 2006. Got tired of training for long course the next year and haven't done a long course tri since. Did lots of 70.3s when they were still independent races with IM qualifying spots.
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Apr 10, 20 11:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No. 2019 was a bad year so my 6yr streak ended in 2018. I guess I was ahead of the curve?

Munq
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve done a full IM every year since 2012. I’m hoping Cozumel is a go in November but I’m not buying plane tickets any time soon.

AJ

-------------------------------------------------------
IM WC Hawaii 2024
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone losing an IM streak this year? [Tri Bread] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ironman has races schedule form July 12th on, it's on the website...obviously those are happening!
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone losing an IM streak this year? [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mark Lemmon wrote:
Tubs wrote:

First IM brand tri was Kona in '97. Did Kona, Canada, Florida, Lake Placid multiple times. DNFed first IM Cali (140.6). Had a streak of 8 years with IM 140.6 finishes ending in 2006. Got tired of training for long course the next year and haven't done a long course tri since. Did lots of 70.3s when they were still independent races with IM qualifying spots.

How did folks have to qualify back then, given it was your first IM brand race?
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone losing an IM streak this year? [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
How did folks have to qualify back then, given it was your first IM brand race?

There were five additional IM branded 140.6s around the world (Canada, Germany, NZ, Japan, Australia) with a large no. of slots and there were also slots at independent races in the U.S. from Olympic to 70.3 distance. I qualified in '97 at Eagleman, which wasn't owned by IM at that time.
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Apr 10, 20 18:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IM streak of 32 years.

Although the race has been postponed until September, I can't see that happening.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone losing an IM streak this year? [satanellus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
satanellus wrote:
IM streak of 32 years.

Although the race has been postponed until September, I can't see that happening.

So 1988-2019 I take it; personally I wouldn't want to let this streak end. Surely there will be some iron races before the end of the year. Or you could just do your own 1-man band event which IMO is harder given no cheering fans . :)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
satanellus wrote:
IM streak of 32 years.

Very impressive! At least one IM 140.6 each year? I hope you can keep the streak going.
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Apr 11, 20 20:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
satanellus wrote:
IM streak of 32 years..

Holy crap!!!! 32 years!
They should hold a special one just to keep your streak alive.
Have you done mostly the same races, or a big variety?
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone losing an IM streak this year? [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
satanellus wrote:
IM streak of 32 years.

So 1988-2019 I take it; personally I wouldn't want to let this streak end. Surely there will be some iron races before the end of the year. Or you could just do your own 1-man band event which IMO is harder given no cheering fans . :)

Kudos to that IM streak and although I'm not near that, I did my own 70.3 last week to keep my ten year 70.3 streak going. As a slow guy, it was pretty challenging mentally to be honest, but I had some family support which kept me going.

My race site: https://racesandplaces.wixsite.com/racesandplaces
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone losing an IM streak this year? [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
satanellus wrote:
IM streak of 32 years.

Yes, first IM in 1988.

And yes, IM Western Australia in December is possibility, but the streak already feels broken with our tri season running Oct-May. I didn't race at all this past summer, so I've missed the 2019-2020 season altogether.

My first tri was in 1985, toward the end of the '84-'85 season, so it feels strange to be in what will likely be an 18 month hiatus from racing triathlon at best.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tubs wrote:
satanellus wrote:
IM streak of 32 years..

Holy crap!!!! 32 years!
They should hold a special one just to keep your streak alive.
Have you done mostly the same races, or a big variety?

The streak has been 32 years at IM Aust, although there's been other numerous other IM along the way, especially in the earlier years.

In the last 15 years it's pretty much just been IM Aust annually, a decrease in the number of shorter tris I race each season, and often focusing on or casually enjoying other sports.

Thanks also to ML and fareastman for the kind words.
Last edited by: satanellus: Apr 12, 20 19:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
satanellus wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
satanellus wrote:
IM streak of 32 years.

Yes, first IM in 1988.

And yes, IM Western Australia in December is possibility, but the streak already feels broken with our tri season running Oct-May. I didn't race at all this past summer, so I've missed the 2019-2020 season altogether.

My first tri was in 1985, toward the end of the '84-'85 season, so it feels strange to be in what will likely be an 18 month hiatus from racing triathlon at best.

Ahem, but we are talking calendar years here, so IMO the West Aust IM would "count" to keep your streak alive. Again, if IM WA does not happen, be prepared to do your own 1-man iron tri. :)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply