Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Fastest wheels for an old shiv tt
Quote | Reply
hi, i have an old shiv tt bike and run an quite oldschool wheelset. bontrager D3 90mm frontwheel and citec ultra disc wheel. both for clincher tires.

in the last time i´ve seen a lots of new, very wide wheel options. Revolver Asym plus Troika Trispoke, Roval 321 Disc, Aerocoach, Overachive...

The old shiv tt is build quite narrow. An overachive disc fit in the back, but quite close. An bontrager xxx6 wheel fit in the front too, also very close.

Always people say, it depents on the frame whats fast.

Does anybody tested if a set of superwide wheels with tight fitting is fast in an old shiv tt frame?!

If a speed range matters: searching for 45-50km/h.

thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest wheels for an old shiv tt [captain hook] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One of our team riders has a first version Shiv TT (with the nosecone, but I’m pretty sure the back end is identical) and in previous seasons he’s run HED wheels (Jet 9 front and disc rear) which have been fast for him and fit fine. We also have another team rider with a Shiv TT who’ll be on our AEOX disc and Titan front for 2020* and both those fit too, so I don’t think you’ll have too many problems with interference with TT specific wheels, compared with something like a newer 50mm road wheel that are mega wide to accommodate 28mm tyres

*or whatever’s left of it!

AeroCoach UK
http://www.aero-coach.co.uk
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest wheels for an old shiv tt [Xavier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dit you do some tests with them in your tunnel or on the track with this wheels?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
captain hook wrote:
Dit you do some tests with them in your tunnel or on the track with this wheels?

With those two riders from memory one we did outdoor velodrome testing and the other indoor velodrome testing.

We’ve done multiple commercial sessions with Shiv TTs in the velodrome, wind tunnel etc., but we can’t give specifics on those sessions as the data is private unfortunately.

AeroCoach UK
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So let me ask a little more open.... Would you change the named wheels against something actuell?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tony Martin in his best days rode a zipp 808 firecrest front with zipp super 9 rear, both clincher. He also rode a vision 3 spoke in the front with a vision disc rear at some point. Astana team: corima combo (f: 3 spoke, r: disc). I believe these are 3 fast options, but yours doesn't sound bad either
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
just get the most expensive wheels....cant go wrong :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest wheels for an old shiv tt [sjc166] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sjc166 wrote:
just get the most expensive wheels....cant go wrong :-)

LW Autobahn tubular? Don't think so.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
captain hook wrote:
So let me ask a little more open.... Would you change the named wheels against something actuell?

What tyres are you using at the moment (model and width) and how do you get on with the Bontrager front wheel in crosswinds?

AeroCoach UK
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
23mm vittoria Speed with latex tube. The 90mm Bontrager is the best wheel in crosswind i have ever used.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
captain hook wrote:
23mm vittoria Speed with latex tube. The 90mm Bontrager is the best wheel in crosswind i have ever used.

Sounds like a good combo - if you wanted to go tubeless that would be the main reason for a swap I think. The 90mm Bontrager D3 is a decent wheel so you wouldn't get 5w out of an upgrade there, the Citec disc isn't very aero but it is in the rear of the bike so again only a handful of watts improvement from an upgrade.

AeroCoach UK
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I missed Gold in varese by 6s. So a handfull of watts could be a lot. Thanks a lot for your input.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
captain hook wrote:
I missed Gold in varese by 6s. So a handfull of watts could be a lot. Thanks a lot for your input.

Ah that is close! Good luck in Canada this year (if it happens ...)

AeroCoach UK
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a nosecone Shiv and the issue with that bike was that wide wheels required opening up the front brake so far that the caliper arms really hang out in the wind. This increases frontal area and ruins the airfoil shape of the bottom 2 inches of the headtube/downtube junction.

I ran a HED TriSpoke and I found a second generation SS 20 with a really low Crr. The TriSpoke probably isn't a great wheel choice with that fork, but the narrower rim allowed the caliper legs to sit perfectly aligned with headtube.

My guess is that maybe switching to the TriRig front brake and shaving the pads down as thin as possible might be your best aero benefit. Then I would look at 90mm front wheels with a narrower rim at the brake track. I don't think the you will see much difference between some of the older and slightly narrower front wheels in that 0-3 or 5 degrees yaw that you will encounter in your targeted speed range of 45-50 kph and the shorter spokes will reduce the watts-to-spin losses.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks. Last year i crashed 2 month before an rode with a broken collarbone, canada is to far away (to expensive). So maybe King of the Lake would be fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Xavier wrote:
One of our team riders has a first version Shiv TT (with the nosecone, but I’m pretty sure the back end is identical) and in previous seasons he’s run HED wheels (Jet 9 front and disc rear) which have been fast for him and fit fine. We also have another team rider with a Shiv TT who’ll be on our AEOX disc and Titan front for 2020* and both those fit too, so I don’t think you’ll have too many problems with interference with TT specific wheels, compared with something like a newer 50mm road wheel that are mega wide to accommodate 28mm tyres

*or whatever’s left of it!

Yep, that’s mine and Xav has tested me several times on it with ongoing successes of drag reduction. The hed jet 9+ wheels have been great for it but I will say you will need to shave the brake blocks down so that you either have clearance in the rear and line up the callipers with the fork in the front. They both have 23mm corsa speed tyres but I’m just about to try a 25mm version this week.
Last edited by: UK Gearmuncher: Apr 10, 20 7:49
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest wheels for an old shiv tt [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, that front end... the only thing i don´t like at this bike. It started with the Basebar. I have the old one where the grips are not flat. Comfortable but not very aero. The brakecable routing through this (and the stem) is horrible. And no internal routing for the etap blips to the blipbox. The frontbrake... i thinking about changing this since i have bought the frameset. Now wattshop has tririg brakes in europe for sale. Maybe the right time to do this. The extension solution is not very compatible with others than specis own. I have mounted the plug in extensions thing, but there are many screws in the wind. But in the end they tested me with a low 0.18x cda. And its a little emotional with this bike. So maybe i stick with the frontwheel. And better invest in brakes and bar.

@xavier: do you have tested the citec disc wheel? Its unbeliveble lightweight with ~850gr for the clincher.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just got the old hacksaw out and chopped the curved section out. Then wrapped them with carbon fiber. Any carbon repair shop can probably do the job for you.

The cockpit on that bike was horrible. I ended up making my own and the only stock parts were the spacers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
captain hook wrote:
Yes, that front end... the only thing i don´t like at this bike. It started with the Basebar. I have the old one where the grips are not flat. Comfortable but not very aero. The brakecable routing through this (and the stem) is horrible. And no internal routing for the etap blips to the blipbox. The frontbrake... i thinking about changing this since i have bought the frameset. Now wattshop has tririg brakes in europe for sale. Maybe the right time to do this. The extension solution is not very compatible with others than specis own. I have mounted the plug in extensions thing, but there are many screws in the wind. But in the end they tested me with a low 0.18x cda. And its a little emotional with this bike. So maybe i stick with the frontwheel. And better invest in brakes and bar.

@xavier: do you have tested the citec disc wheel? Its unbeliveble lightweight with ~850gr for the clincher.

We will have some compatible funky extensions for the Shiv TT coming later in the year, we'll get the dimensions off our team guys and the Shiv TT (as well as the newer Shiv TT disc) are on the list for us to do.

We've had the Citec disc in sessions a few times - the feedback we've always had from riders is that it's tremendously fragile. One chap had ripped one apart - the skins are very thin and there aren't any spokes inside so even though the aero isn't great (as it's narrow) unless you're very light it might not be a good option.

AeroCoach UK
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I rode citec Discs for 10 years. The first one over 50tkm, a normal new one for ~20tkm an an ultra 10tkm. No problems with them. Yes, the skin ist very thin. So be careful not laying anything on the sidewalls. They survived poland... 😂 🙈 😂 But from aerodynamics... A 23mm wide tire looks too wide on this and the sound when you drive on bad surfaces makes you fear. From an actuell points of view it might be better running a disc who can carry a 25mm wide tire without aero penalty.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
captain hook wrote:
I rode citec Discs for 10 years. The first one over 50tkm, a normal new one for ~20tkm an an ultra 10tkm. No problems with them. Yes, the skin ist very thin. So be careful not laying anything on the sidewalls. They survived poland... 😂 🙈 😂 But from aerodynamics... A 23mm wide tire looks too wide on this and the sound when you drive on bad surfaces makes you fear. From an actuell points of view it might be better running a disc who can carry a 25mm wide tire without aero penalty.

If it survived the course in Poland then it must have been alright! But yes being able to get the benefit of the lower Crr with a wider tyre on the back as well as small aero benefit is going to be faster overall.

AeroCoach UK
Quote Reply