Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Which Aerobars Should I Use
Quote | Reply
Just curious what ST thinks about each of these aerobar sets and everyone thinks would be faster. I'll be building my bike finally this weekend and would like to hear what people think before I choose which one to install.

I have a 2014 Speed Concept 7.0 and it came with an aluminum bullhorn and clip ons. The bars I have as options are:

Stock Speed Concept Non UCI
TriRig Alpha X
Zipp Vuka Aero Integrated
Enve SES

Rank in aeroness? Just thought someone would have had experience testing or read somewhere comparing them.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Which Aerobars Should I Use [al-gorithm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd be looking for easiest and most adjustable over aeroness as a priority.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SC, TriRig, and Enve should all be fast. I would go SC to be match the bike but you cant go wrong with any of these
Quote Reply
Re: Which Aerobars Should I Use [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
x2; you can find (some) aero info on TriRig’s site and maybe eslewhere. You don’t need us for that. I assume you are asking for human experience. Alpha X is solid but if you can afford Alpha One, adjustability and this comfort is great. I would avoid Zipp. I would also consider Profile Design Ultimate Aeria, although I prefer Alpha One over it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great Bike! I had that same bike (in the stock black with green) and I loved that the front end offered a bit of "normalcy," especially when travelling!!

If i were to do it again, I would probably go with the Zipp Aero Bar and use the profile design -17 stem (with the attachment that allows for the aeria hydration unit) since that bottle fit really well with the front end of that bike...

then if ever you want to run without the bottle, you can put the little zipp plug in the middle and have a very clean front end

Just my $0.02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
al-gorithm wrote:
Just curious what ST thinks about each of these aerobar sets and everyone thinks would be faster. I'll be building my bike finally this weekend and would like to hear what people think before I choose which one to install.

I have a 2014 Speed Concept 7.0 and it came with an aluminum bullhorn and clip ons. The bars I have as options are:

Stock Speed Concept Non UCI
TriRig Alpha X
Zipp Vuka Aero Integrated
Enve SES

Rank in aeroness? Just thought someone would have had experience testing or read somewhere comparing them.

Thanks!

I have a SC with the non-UCI legal integrated setup. I think it's generally regarded as very aero and it's pretty comfortable. There are two drawbacks, one is that many of us have trouble getting enough reach out of the stock extensions. You can use other extensions with the mono plug in adapter, but that's pretty much impossible to find right now. The other is that making adjustments in your fit is a really really major PITA, especially if you still use mechanical shifting. I had a very dialed in fit prior to getting my current SC, and there are still times I wish I could change things easier.

Some of the parts for swapping to the SC integrated setup are readily available on the secondary market (such as stems, mono spacers and extensions), but others aren't, (such as the base bar and some of the smaller parts such as the tilt kit). If you get the whole integrated setup from a Trek dealer, it's going to be pretty pricey. You could cobble it together with a mix of second hand parts and new ordered from Trek, and save some money but it's not going to be a budget option.

With my previous bike I had a Zipp Vuka bar setup. Frankly, I wouldn't purchase it again, very pricey and not even that aero. I don't have any experience with the Enve bar.

The Alpha X has been discontinued, if you purchase on the secondary market I'd be very careful and inspect for damage. Aero bars are nothing to mess with from a safety standpoint.

While I don't have any personal experience with it, the ease of fit with the Alpha One is really just a huge plus. Being able to experiment with your position so easily could really make a big difference. It's also very aero, hard to say how it compares with the SC setup but I seriously doubt you'd be at any disadvantage and the ease of fit would trump any tiny difference. It's extremely pricey but is on sale right now, and may not end up being that much more in price than swapping to the SC integrated setup if purchased new from a Trek dealer.
Quote Reply
Re: Which Aerobars Should I Use [MikeyC-anada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the HSF bottle and stem and it doesn't fit over the basebar. Out of all these, only the Enve would work with that bottle and stem.

http://www.clperformancetraining.com
http://www.pillasport.ca
Quote Reply
Re: Which Aerobars Should I Use [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I built 2 Speed Concepts bikes and the stock bars are the worst/slowest to adjust but I just love the fit in finish vs the stem adapter. Still a toss up. Still scratching my head.

Quote Reply
Re: Which Aerobars Should I Use [tttiltheend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know what you mean about the adjustment. I have all four bars sitting in my basement shop... I only ended up buying the full stock SC setup because I got it from ProsCloset for $80 on ebay. I'll be putting etap on the bike so the only thing I'll have to mess around with is the damn rear brake cable.

I think the Zipp bars are out. Too bad, wanted them to fit the HSF bottle. I'll throw them up for sale or offer a customer a deal on them. The Enve's I had on my previous bike but I'd love to get that HSF bottle up front. Curious to see what front hydration SCers are using. Might be leaning that way. Wife is eyeing the Alpha X for her bike.

Quote Reply