Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tips for improving run symmetry? GCT balance ect...
Quote | Reply
Just looking for some pointers as im bored with extra time to look at garmins metrics,

i noticed my GCT balance has gotten slightly worse over a few months now, starting at 49/51 left/right and now going down worse to the 48/52% range, has anyone got some thoughts on what it could be and how to improve ?

i assume this means my right leg is weaker as it is spending more time on the ground ? but most of my injuries over the last few years have all been in the left leg despite the balance showing a "stronger" left leg ?

thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Tips for improving run symmetry? GCT balance ect... [LordFarquuad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm the opposite of you in that my injuries and niggles have all been on my right side in recent years. One of my goals during this quarantine time is to try to identify and address any imbalances, and generally just become more stable overall.

One thing I did some across was the FMS (Functional Movement Screen). https://www.functionalmovement.com/..._NoBleed_Digital.pdf

I haven't tried it, but it seems like a good program for addressing muscular imbalances.

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Tips for improving run symmetry? GCT balance ect... [LordFarquuad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Who says that your GCT is "bad"? Who says that 48/52 is worse than 49/51, or even 50/50, or 55/45? Your body knows what its doing. Who's to say that your GCT isn't a function of the surface you are running on? A cambered surface is likely to alter your GCT, or some other thing that you can't change and your body has adapted to optimally.

More or less the worst thing you could do would be to try and conciously correct it. If you want to ensure that your mechanics are as good as they should be, then you could embark on a stability and mobility training program. Strengthen your trunk stabilizers, strengthen your hib stabilizers, improve your joint mobility, etc. As long as you do this in a balanced fashion (working ALL joints in all axis, in all directions), then all of that will likely ensure your running mechanics are optimal for you. You should only ever focus on a particular muscle group/joint at the direction of a qualified medical person.

Doing that may or may not result in any changes to ANY of the metrics collected by Garmin or any other run pod. And, even if NONE of those metrics change, that is not the same thing as saying that your running mechanics didn't improve.

All that is to say, the running metrics are horse-shit. There is nothing actionable in any of them.
Quote Reply
Re: Tips for improving run symmetry? GCT balance ect... [gmh39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How is your hip mobility? Tight left hip flexors will limit extension before toe off. Right side compensates by taking a shorter stride, causing the lower shank to extend into a heelstrike/overstride. You end up "riding" the right foot longer from initial contact of heel strike to terminal stance. Also, check your ankle mobility.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm nearly always 51 or 52 right. It's probably just how I swing my arms.

I was a short track speed skater for 8 years when I was younger and developed an asymmetrical arm swing because of it.
Quote Reply