Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bike software
Quote | Reply
Just bought a smart trainer online. Kurt Kinetic Control Smart. Got it on sale for $350.

School me quickly on bike software. I’ve read a lot on like form reviewers like DCR but just looking for recs from the public. Anything free out there worth using?

Also what devices to people use? I have a VERY old laptop that turns on and runs apps but wouldn’t call it good. Might need to be cleaned up and worked on to use. Will my iPhone 7 work just fine?

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Re: Bike software [Jloewe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use an apple TV with my set up. Its cheap, just works and the graphics are great. Don't bother with an old computer. Having to deal with updates, slow graphics and all the issues with bluetooth connections to an old machine can be nothing short of disheartening.

As for software. With the apple TV you can download apps for all the popular platfroms. Zwift, RGT, trainer road etc etc and try them all out. I like most have gravitated to Zwift as its what my mates use. I prefer RGT for the graphics.

Final shout from me - I bought a big screen and a stand. It made a world of difference to me - others don't seem to mind a phone screen. I recommend a big screen though.

Have fun.

He who understands the WHY, will understand the HOW.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike software [earthling] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use bot Rouvy and Zwift, they both have free trials, Zwift is 7 days and I think Rouvy might be 14,so you can check them out and see if you like them.
I think that either a Apple TV or a iPad are the easiest way to get going.

----------------------------
http://www.instagram.com/cyclewise
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For Zwift I use a Samsung Galaxy S7 and cast my screen to a Roku USB stick in my TV. It works, it's probably not as smooth as more powerful devices but it gets the job done. I agree with the comment on the old laptop/PC, I went that route and the updates and other hiccups weren't worth the hassle so I just use my phone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is no better time to try them out since a lot of them are offering extended free trials during the COVID-19 pandemic. For structured training, it's hard to beat TrainerRoad, but a lot of people without an established base struggle with the amount of intensity in the training plans. If you need a social aspect to riding, you won't be able to do better than Zwift. If you want high quality and realist video or real roads, FulGas and Rouvy are going to be what you want. If you want free, I think you're mostly stuck with Golden Cheetah, which doesn't have the most user friendly interface (but it's great for performance analysis).

You mentioned DCRainmaker, I assume you've seen his trainer app summary he put out recently

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2020/03/cycling-indoor-trainer-app-guide.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jloewe wrote:
Just bought a smart trainer online. Kurt Kinetic Control Smart. Got it on sale for $350.

School me quickly on bike software. I’ve read a lot on like form reviewers like DCR but just looking for recs from the public. Anything free out there worth using?

Also what devices to people use? I have a VERY old laptop that turns on and runs apps but wouldn’t call it good. Might need to be cleaned up and worked on to use. Will my iPhone 7 work just fine?

I'm a big fan of The Sufferfest. High quality workouts with fantastic community support—and it should run just fine from your iPhone 7; my 6s runs it A-OK. There's no Apple TV app just yet, but their somewhat recent acquisition by Wahoo deepens their pockets and expands the possibilities.

Right now, SUF is running a 45-day trial: Traditional 14-day + another month for all the stuff that's going on, globally. Check 'em out. I think you'll like 'em. :)

#cureMS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Sufferfest has a 44 day free trial right now. The workouts are second to none, with 4 dimensional power profiles to ensure that each one is tailored to match your unique physiology and fitness.
Quote Reply