Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Spring Classics Thread *Spoilers* [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wow - incomplete or not that list has me salivating for this race -
mvdp / sagan / gva /alaphillippe / gilbert /kwia + moscon / ..... yikes..... i hope they can stay safe and virus free cuz who wouldnt want to watch this?
and pay for it? pro cycling needs to get better coin for the televising rights.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Spring Classics Thread *Spoilers* [fredericknorton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also the Burgos startlist is intriguiing, lots of GC hitters and a good roster of sprinters too. Will be interesting to see who's on form.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Spring Classics Thread *Spoilers* [fredericknorton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
I didn’t look at any data for first 30 min and totally miscalculated. Ended up going out about 20 watts hot and paid the price for last 15min. Not terrible, considered I haven’t done anything requiring good pacing for years, but certainly room for improvement. More than anything it was a gut check to see if I can still suffer well for no reason other than because.

Final tally was a hair shy of 3400 feet in an hour, Could have added 200-300 more with right climb and better pacing. Maybe another year.

For someone your caliber, I doubt it would fully go away

fredericknorton wrote:
hmmm - hadnt heard of this. i've been filming some climbs for a trainer app (fulgaz). whiteface mtn just outside of lake placid at steady hard (but a bit less than flat out, cuz i try to stand as little as possible for better filming) was 8 miles/3550 ft/54 minutes.
so maybe under perfect conditions 4k elevation possible for me in an hour?? whiteface is pretty steep average for the 8 miles so it must be near ideal for this kind of thing.
i filmed a blue ridge climb/descent/steep climb in about the same time but that was only 2750 ft elevation.

doing some blue ridge gravel next - that will be slower!
i might film wintergreen, but for some reason i don't like that climb and talk about a mean climb for sitting!! its not long enough though for this kind of record unless you descend a steep section or two and get back at it.

strade bianche cant come soon enough - are there such things as start lists?? benoot's win 2 years ago might be the best race ive seen in 5 years.
sincerely, rick

if i could have done it ~90 rpm on a 34x36t, I'm sure someone of your caliber could do most of it in the saddle on a 34x32t (or higher)

Looking back at my file, the worst thing about the damn climb was that the gradient change became a lot more frequent toward the top. A lot of 5 mph followed by sections where I'm going at 15 mph. At least the 11% grade in the middle was just consistently tough.

Also, scariest part of the ride by far was heading back toward the resort when I got to the top (resort is about 85% up the climb, full descent down would have been sheer madness). It was rainy (not heavy at all), and I ran the lightest carbon tubulars I had at the time. Trying to slow down on a 13% decline was an effing nightmare, and I even blew a stop sign, as I just couldn't slow down.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Spring Classics Thread *Spoilers* [ClayDavis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ClayDavis wrote:
Also the Burgos startlist is intriguiing, lots of GC hitters and a good roster of sprinters too. Will be interesting to see who's on form.
and holy shit, there's actual pro racing for spectating today. Too bad it's not available on Eurosport.

Strade Bianche definitely is televised next week though. I'm quite psyched.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I were to attempt again it'd be on this section: 1 mile at 12% for 675 feet https://www.strava.com/segments/655804. Very exposed so the right time of day is critical but a straight, fast (easy to hit 50mph) descent. It pitches to 15%, which is too steep for me. But with good legs, pacing and going deep, ~10 min laps is doable, which would be just about 4k.

Personally I'm better at staying "on" for a long climb like Whiteface as opposed to on/off for this section. That's the old TTer in me.

I can't think too much about Strade yet, will get over-amped. Think there are some smaller races staring this weekend, no?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did anyone catch Mike Woods power data from the Zwift ride this past week? 7 w/kg for 26 minutes and 6.7 w/kg the whole climb.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Spring Classics Thread *Spoilers* [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:
Did anyone catch Mike Woods power data from the Zwift ride this past week? 7 w/kg for 26 minutes and 6.7 w/kg the whole climb.

The guy is a power freak. I did a Zwift ride "with" Woods on one of his very first rides on a trainer post surgery. He was doing it with basically one leg. After the social ride portion, he was "anyone want to stretch out at 5 W/kg for 20 minutes?"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
turdburgler wrote:

The guy is a power freak. I did a Zwift ride "with" Woods on one of his very first rides on a trainer post surgery. He was doing it with basically one leg. After the social ride portion, he was "anyone want to stretch out at 5 W/kg for 20 minutes?"

to which @trail responded, "send it!"
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Spring Classics Thread *Spoilers* [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lol
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stretch out? No.

Get me a stretcher? Likely.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Spring Classics Thread *Spoilers* [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Just a taste to wet your whistle for next week end.

Kristoff, all class.
Mads showing his early skillz.
Astana- on how to screw the pooch.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Spring Classics Thread *Spoilers* [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He made it look easy. And/or they made it easy for him.

Can’t wait to wake up at 5am one week from now.
Last edited by: Carl Spackler: Jul 25, 20 18:39
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Spring Classics Thread *Spoilers* [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
He made it look easy. And/or they made it easy for him.

Can’t wait to wake up at 5am one week from now.

Like the return of the salmon to Capistrano......... if it's the dog days of summer combined with a pandemic combined with widespread civil unrest, then it must be Vuelta a Burgos time!

Grobschartner takes the opener!

Kind of nice to doze off while streaming cycling again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
racing in the wind today, driving splits on the flat before an uphill finish......go Sepp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:
racing in the wind today, driving splits on the flat before an uphill finish......go Sepp

Solid GC battle. Chaves, Evenepoel, Carapaz!

Edit: Dang, Evenepoel is the real deal.
Last edited by: trail: Jul 30, 20 7:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like Remco is the real deal.
Anyone know what happened to Sep Kuss, did he crash or just have a bad day?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I mean, wow. He smoked everyone with relative ease. That was no joke.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
I mean, wow. He smoked everyone with relative ease. That was no joke.

Wow. Pure power. Amazing to see a guy with that body comp just dust the best climbers like that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He's actually not that big. ~5'7" and maybe 135 pounds. Shorter and lighter than Nibali, and comparable to Contador. It's his ITT skills that really stand out.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Spring Classics Thread *Spoilers* [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
He's actually not that big. ~5'7" and maybe 135 pounds. Shorter and lighter than Nibali, and comparable to Contador. It's his ITT skills that really stand out.

i know he's not tall but looks bulky compared to the others.......
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Spring Classics Thread *Spoilers* [trener1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trener1 wrote:

Anyone know what happened to Sep Kuss, did he crash or just have a bad day?

He was there with a very select group about halfway up the climb, like when it was down to just ~15 guys. But then he completely detonated. Looks like he got passed by another 15 or so guys after getting dropped.

Disappointing day, but not awful.
Last edited by: trail: Jul 30, 20 12:27
Quote Reply

Prev Next